Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2006 8:45:53 PM EDT
I notice on the way to work today that they had a for sale sign on the front of the building and all of their outside merchandise was gone.  Did they move again or just close up?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:10:56 AM EDT
[#1]
They're toast.

Unless you were a MD or an ATTY., you couldn't afford to buy anything there anyway.

Many years ago McCoy's was a good shop, but he got into the "African hunting" business, made a bunch of snob friends and decided to go "upscale" to take care of his new found rich clientelle.

I told Steve several years ago that he had "lost his way" and the rich boys would soon find a different hobby.  He then moved into the upscale "fly fishing" outfitter business.... for a year or two until that started to wane....  then it was canoes.... the travel business failed several years ago but he kept at it.....

And of course several years ago the political climate in Africa changed and all his big game junkets that he made a ton of money on went down the tubes.

Everything in the place was sold at MSRP.... the average Joe ain't paying MSRP for anything he can buy down the road for 25-30% less.

20yrs ago he had the best shop in town, had a gunsmith that knew what he was doing, was fair on trades and had reasonable prices.

Then he started running with the "wrong crowd"  LOL

Sorry to see any shop tank, but his was way over due.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:58:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I haven't stopped by there in many years.  You're right about their prices.  Too bad they chose the wrong path.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:10:24 PM EDT
[#3]
The official word is that they have decided to get into real estate.  

Woody
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:03:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Passed by their Dauphin St. location today and notice they had a sign saying they have relocated to (I forgot the exact #) to Springhill Ave.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:23:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep gonna be in the Real Estate and travel bus..
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:55:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought my first AR-15 from them many moons ago; a blue label Colt Sporter Target Model...
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:59:23 PM EDT
[#7]
They moved to Springhill Ave. Just west of I65. It's in the shopping center behind the Waffle House. They aren't quite open yet but it looked to be all the same stuff, just in a larger building. The location used to be a Wallgreens/Rite-Aid type of store. I did like the large safe door that led into a back area. I want one of those in my house!

I went looking for a stripped lower receiver for my Dad. I wasn"t supprised they didn't have one. He really wants a Bushmaster but Steve has 2 Rock Rivers in stock for $130 if he hadn't bought one of them already. I doubt he would be willing to wait for someone to order a Bushmaster.

BrickFish
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:39:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Well I guess the guy I talked to there (employee) right before they closed the Dauphin St. store didn't know what the hell he was talking about...

He told me they were finished with the gun business...

They never carried AR parts, or any other parts for that matter.

Nice selection of MSRP mounts and bases for Sako's and Weatherby's though!

I'm not exactly "poor" but I sure couldn't afford to buy anything there.... $80 shirts, $65 "fishing shorts"  LOL

Ever price ammo in there?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:24:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Ever price ammo in there?

I've only purchased their CCI shotshells for .45acp and it was priced way better than online or even wally world @ $6.99.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top