Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2004 12:32:02 PM EDT

I haven't purchased a handgun in quite sometime. I'm looking at buying from an individual out of state. I know I need an FFL to transfer to, but do I also need something else? Someone told me I need a form from the local PD or St. Louis County PD, is that true? Any additional info would be welcome.hanksCraig
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 12:35:31 PM EDT
I know that in BOONE county you have to get a "permit to purchase" before you can take possesion of a pistol. here we just go down to the sherrifs dept and fill out the paperwork and give them $10 (i beleive thats what it cost) and in 5-7 days you get the paperwork back and go get the gun. Usually it oly takes bout 3 days here tho.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:42:32 PM EDT
You need to go to the St. Louis County Police (in Clayton?) and get a permit to purchase. [Since the gun is coming from out of state, it should be processed through a local FFL. Never mind, you knew that detail.] The transferring FFL does not need to be in St. Louis County. There will be a time limit to exercise the permit (I don't know if the time is uniform across the state or at the pleasure of the sheriff). The state requires no minimum between the date of application and receipt of the permit, but St. Charles County uses the entire 7 days allowed by the law, just to be contrary.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:53:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cgebhard:

Someone told me I need a form from the local PD or St. Louis County PD, is that true? Any additional info would be welcome.


Yes, you need a "permit to aquire a hangun". Most usually it is your local sheriffs office that has these. You go in, fill out the info ( stuff like are you a fellon, alien, drug abuser, etc..) and bring your Missouri drivers license. Some departments do the background check while you wait, others take up to a week. The sherrifs' office usually prefers that you have the pistol's: caliber,make, model, serial number, previous Owner's name and address for thier forms. Then you take this gun info form (along with your permit)to your ffl where they fill out thier part and you return it to the sherrif. If you do not have the gun's info that is OK, but some sherrifs have been known to be pissy about it. The permit costs $10.00.

Line up your ffl first, then get the permit.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 5:57:50 PM EDT
Don't worry about the firearm info, the sheriff gets that after the sale. The FFL should mail it for you, but some won't.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:25:55 PM EDT
Thanks, I'll go the the county and getr done.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:19:20 PM EDT
You can go to any St. Louis Co. police station to apply for the permit. You only have to go to Clayton when you receive notificaton (by mail) that you were approved.
Top Top