Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 11/29/2007 1:13:22 PM EDT
Well, tomarow I am hopefully going to purchase my first semi automatic pistol, to compliment my AR. My dad is buying it for me for an early college graduation present. I am allowed $600.

First question: I heard that there is no longer a waiting period? Do I still have to get a permit from a police station?

Question 2: Where is the best place in the St. Louis area to purchase a handgun? Cheapest?. I want a polymer frame 9mm, with prefferably a 4" barrel. Right now I'm looking at Glock 19, Beretta PX4, and Springfield XD. I've handled all three and like them all. I dont care about night sights or any of that jazz, I just want a good 9mm that will go bang everytime i pull the trigger.

thanks for any input
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 1:24:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/29/2007 1:25:40 PM EDT by Karl_Withakay]
No permit required. Just go to the gun store and buy the gun and take it with you.

However, if you dad is buying it for you, it might be better if he gave you the money to buy it yourself as the dealer might be concerned if you fill out the paperwork and he pays. Dealers need to be sure the person buying the gun is not engaging in a straw purchase, and the gun is actually being purchased by the person who is going to posses the firearm, and they can get a little nervous when one person fills out the paperwork (the person whom the gun is for) and another person pays.

Mike's Guns, Mid America, Nassau, among others. Mike's in St. Charles is a really good place and Mike is very pleasant to work with.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 1:25:53 PM EDT
1. No trip to the Sheriff needed

2. I'm a KC guy so the StL crew will have to help you out with that.

Good choices for a first handgun. I'd take the Glock or Beretta over the Springer myself, but the XDs are also fine handguns and a great value.

Buy hicap mags, you want about six of them, before president Hillary says we can't have them anymore.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 2:13:11 PM EDT
Thanks for the quick response guys. I'm glad to here that there is no permit needed. I guess I'll start with Nassua. I bought a shotgun from them a few years back, and they seemed like good people. I livve about 5 minutes from mid america....they always seemed a little bit on the high side to me, but maybe it's because I was just being a "browser".

The mag issue is one of the reasons why I am leaning toward the glock. They seem readily available for a low price. I will definietly stock up, like I did for my AR. I bought 24 for it haha.

Anymore places I should check out?
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 2:53:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/29/2007 2:54:27 PM EDT by PolyTechKID]
DRINK THE KOOLAID!!!!! Get the 19, with some xs big dots, extra mags and a comp-tac holster and you'll be set You may even get lucky and find a used G19 which would mean more $$ for mags and other goodies.

Polytech
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 2:56:57 PM EDT
If you haven't shot any / all of those guns, you might take a trip to the range downtown (Bullseye? I think. It's on Manchester, just West of Kingshighway) and see if they have those models for rent. I would go with what feels / shoots best for you.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 3:06:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/29/2007 3:14:29 PM EDT by KDK]
Try TOP GUN in Imperial, they have rentals and a good selection of new and used handguns. Checkout their website for more information. http://www.topgunss.com/
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 3:54:42 PM EDT
Your original picks are good ones. I am sure you would be happy with any of the three. Also, check out the Smith and Wesson M&P. You can find them online for $440ish and have it shipped for another $20. Then arrange for a $20 transfer and you have a great first handgun for $480. Smith is running a promotion where you get two additional magazines and a holster. I think that FN may be running a similar promotion on the FNP's. Hope this helps.

By the way, I used to use Mid America when I lived in St. Louis. Most of the guys were nice and helpful, but their prices have started to reflect those of most any other gun shop. Good luck with your graduation!
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:31:36 PM EDT
Mikes guns on 94 has been good to me and my buddies. Bullseye is where you can try them out at. Id go with a 9mm glock 19, or a sig if your luckey enough to find one for that price..
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:33:04 PM EDT
plus 1 on the m&p. i love the way my m&p 9 shoots.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:58:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By leo84:
Mikes guns on 94 has been good to me and my buddies. Bullseye is where you can try them out at. Id go with a 9mm glock 19, or a sig if your luckey enough to find one for that price..

+1 for Sigs...thats what I have. A P226 would be just your ticket.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 5:33:16 PM EDT
Another for Mikes Guns on hwy 94 in St. Charles, he has always had good prices for me. As for which gun, well I would suggest a Browning High Power but everyone has their own tastes.
I would suggest handling and if possible, shooting as many as you can before making your final decision.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 5:49:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/29/2007 5:53:22 PM EDT by BlueNoteExpress]

Originally Posted By SHIFT_OneOffS14:

Originally Posted By leo84:

+1 for Sigs...thats what I have. A P226 would be just your ticket.

I was going to recommend Sigs too (I have 3), but he said he wanted a polymer frame 9mm which leaves the Sig P-series pistols out. I guess there's always the SigPros, but people usually mean the P-series when they speak of Sigs.

You might also consider the Walther P99 and the FNP-9. If you buy a new FNP-9 before the end of the year, you qualify for the free FN Shooter's Pack.

I agree that it would be wise to try as many of these as you can before you buy. You might also want to consider the cost of accessories like extra mags.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 6:12:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BlueNoteExpress:
I was going to recommend Sigs too (I have 3), but he said he wanted a polymer frame 9mm which leaves the Sig P-series pistols out. I guess there's always the SigPros, but people usually mean the P-series when they speak of Sigs.

I picked up a SigPro 2009 in September and really like it. It handles a little better for me than my Sig226 and is lighter for CCW. Its been very accurate and shoots well.

I would have to agree with the comments that you really need to go out and try a few different pistols somewhere before you buy. I know that Glocks are a great gun, but they just don't feel right in my hands. I've shot FNP9's, S&W M&P, Berretta's, and XD9's and liked them, but don't own them... Yet. I guess I just prefer the Sig.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 6:19:08 PM EDT
I'd take the Glock over the XD (I have both.) The XD is cool with that backstrap safety, however, I don't care for the grip angle and the high center of gravity. I really dislike the trigger compared the the Glock. Glock has a much better reset--which you can do to a XD--but it will cost you about $150.

Even though you've handled them, you really need to shoot them before deciding. Take a trip over to Belle-Vegas to the Belleville Shooting Range and rent all of them. Then decide. Try a Walther P99 while you're at it.

Glocks are so much more popular (with the Po-Po and Govt too), so the market is flooded with aftermarket parts, accessories, and holsters. Keep in mind, that the XD is made by H&S in Croatia....Springfield is mearly the importer.

Best prices will be from Mike's Guns in St. Charles, Top Guns in Imperial, and Mid-America at 30 & 21.

And get Trijicons on it if you can. Even though you're not planning on using them, they're a much more visable sight in daylight, and some night you may need them.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 6:23:50 PM EDT
+1 to what Delorean said. There's nothing WRONG with the XD, but the Glock is a hell of a first gun to start this hobby with. I don't even own one anymore, but I still have to admit they have alot of advantages.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 7:37:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 8:48:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 11:19:10 PM EDT
Wow, the amount of replies is overwhelming. Thanks guys. I think I am going to start out the morning by heading up to mid america (right up the street) then on to Bass Pro, then to Nassau, then to Mikes. I am pretty much still set on the glock 19 or the PX4. Although the deal that S&W has going right now does sound nice. (2 free mags and $50 back). I'll let ya'll know in a couple days what happends, and I'll try to get pics.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:34:56 AM EDT
Remember to figure in the price of extra mags, pouches, holsters, ect. I think the glock will be cheaper to support than any of the others, they have the most reasonable factory mags and there are so many glock owners out there, so that means there's lots of cheap used gear for sale. I don't think you can go wrong with the glock. I used to have a friend that complained about the "euro grip angle" and thought his XD's were better because of the features, in fact he carried his XD's since they hit the market. Guess what he carries now?!?!?.....21sf with big dots and his wife is got a G19 with big dots!!!!!!!! O...and a tip on the big dots, don't wuss out and get the standard dots you won't be happy, don't just dip your toes in the deep end of the pool, do a freaking cannon ball off the high dive and get the BIG DOTS

And if CMMG ever has another three gun, you're welcome to come and shoot my G19

Polytech
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:36:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By eric10mm:
One of my favorite dealers of used guns is Mark at Summit Gun Broker.

I was going to buy something from him a while back, but his gunbroker ads all state "no local pickup".

I have a hard time paying shipping, and dealer dealer fees, in addition to in-state sales tax (which I'd have to pay anyway), when he is less than an hours drive away.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 11:17:52 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 11:27:41 AM EDT
Another +1 for Mikes Guns in St. Charles. Great prices, great selection and they also are very helpful.

If you want a new gun at that price, I'd say get the G19. If you're willing to get a used gun, you might be able to find a Sig P228 or 229 in 9mm (not poly frame, but great guns).
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:29:04 PM EDT
Just wanted to say, the best prices I've found in town are with Norm's Guns. He does the gun show circuit, then also deals out of his house in Maryland Heights. You should give him a call, I just bought $2500 of handguns from him last week, 314-739-5706
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 9:32:07 PM EDT
Well guys, again thanks for all the replies. I went to Mikes today, Bass Pro, and Mid america. All I gotta say is all my business is going to mikes from now on.

For one, he respected me as a "gun guy" even though I'm only 22. I feel like he treated me as If i were a 50 year old customer that owns 100s of guns.

And two, I walked in the door at 5:59 (closes at 6 but didn't realize until I left) and he kept the shop open for at least a half hour and let me fondle every gun I asked about. The prices he quoted me are amazing.....some are better then gunbroker prices before shipping and FFL.

I think I've got it narrowed down to a Glock 19. But man does that Taurus 24/7 feel good in my hand. I know its a taurus but it just felt right. Mike was actually very enthusiastic about the taurus, and said out of the hundreds he's sold, none have been brought back. I also like the safety on the taurus. But in the end I am sure I will go with the glock 19. I will be out there about 2pm toamrow to get one, most lickely the 19.

Thanks again for all the help everyone.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:18:10 PM EDT
Glock vs. Taurus = Beatles vs. Monkees

Ain't nothin' like the real thing, baby.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:27:24 AM EDT
height=8
Originally Posted By M4_man_223:
Well guys, again thanks for all the replies. I went to Mikes today, Bass Pro, and Mid america. All I gotta say is all my business is going to mikes from now on.

For one, he respected me as a "gun guy" even though I'm only 22. I feel like he treated me as If i were a 50 year old customer that owns 100s of guns.

And two, I walked in the door at 5:59 (closes at 6 but didn't realize until I left) and he kept the shop open for at least a half hour and let me fondle every gun I asked about. The prices he quoted me are amazing.....some are better then gunbroker prices before shipping and FFL.

I think I've got it narrowed down to a Glock 19. But man does that Taurus 24/7 feel good in my hand. I know its a taurus but it just felt right. Mike was actually very enthusiastic about the taurus, and said out of the hundreds he's sold, none have been brought back. I also like the safety on the taurus. But in the end I am sure I will go with the glock 19. I will be out there about 2pm toamrow to get one, most lickely the 19.

Thanks again for all the help everyone.

If the Taurus feels better in your hand, you should get it ... forget brand names. Glock isn't exactly high-end. I have a G19 and G20, and they're both nice but nothing better than the competition. I've shot a 24/7 and thought it felt fantastic, I already have too many 9mm's or I'd buy one for sure.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:47:03 PM EDT
Glock have a 'squareish' feel....S&W M&P have a more 'rounded' feel..Shoot all of them and buy the one that feels best in your hands..Top gun has all the above for rentals-Glocks,XD,M&P,S&W Sigma,Taurus......etc(ps i work there part-time)
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 12:30:14 PM EDT
Well, I got a glock. I ended up getting it from Mike's Guns out there in St. Charles. Again thanks for everyones help. Itake everything into consideration when making a purchase like this. I think I got a good deal on it. It just sucks that I cant have it until I graduate! haha (only a week).

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 1:34:14 PM EDT
Congrats!! You have picked wisely
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 2:53:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MouseGun87:
Congrats!! You have picked wisely

+1 Good call.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:15:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/3/2007 8:15:59 AM EDT by eric10mm]
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:24:52 AM EDT
Yeah, I was about to order a few mags for it......last night at walmart a another new toy followed me home. They had a Stevens model 200 22-250 (basicaly a savage 110 w/o accutrigger) on sale for 250 bucks. Oh well.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:19:29 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:49:42 PM EDT
Centerfire has 9mm 33rd mags for $15. They're not the originals, but nice knock-offs. Order a few now for the sock drawer before Hillary or Barrack take over and ban them.

Blade-tech make really nice adjustable draw kydex holsters. Get yourself a small pin punch for removing the trigger group (or just get the Glock one for $5.) If you want to be able to quick-change the mags faster, get a backstrap plug--helps guide them in a bit.

There's all kinds of extender slide and mag drops, recoil rods, springs, etc, but IMHO, none of them do anything for the gun. Depending on the size of you hand, you may want a Hogue "hand-all" grip. In reality, most of the Glock accessories do nothing more than "personalize" your gun.......none of them improve the reliability, functionality, accuracy of the plain gun.

I had a totally pimped out G20 for a while: Aro-tek laser, mercury-filled guide rod, chromes, extended drops, etc, etc. Dumped it for a straight G20 with Trijicons.

Have fun with it.....

Top Top