Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2004 4:00:02 PM EDT
Part of my decision will be based on the gun laws.

CCW's?
SBR's?
AW's in general.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 5:18:37 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf

In a nutshell: we have CCW's, pistols are gotten on a permit system where you get the permit from the sheriff and you have up to 5 years to use it in lieu of an instant background check.  Long arms goes thru NICS.  If you have a CCW you can use that in lieu of the permit/NICS check too.  AW's are accepted.  Only the city (county?) of Durham has a pistol registration scheme.  You can open carry but might frighten the liberals .  

Class 3's are allowed if you currently have one, to get a new class 3 your sheriff will have to sign off on it.  Don't know any locally to me that'll do it.

Thing with the permit system some sheriffs are way cool, Wake County you can get up to 5 at one time for $5 a pop.  Other counties like Orange the bastards dole out 1 at a time.
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 6:46:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn. I thought our laws were funny. I need to do some more homework.

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 7:13:46 PM EDT
[#3]
if you get your CWP, you don't have to worry about getting a permit to buy a pistol.
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 5:22:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Thanks for the info.

I like the permit system.  You have to wait 5 days up front, but after you get the permits you can buy the pistol right there on the spot anytime in the future up to 5 years since the permit was issued.  You also need to give a permit to a a person when doing private transacations as well.  But the private individual can do whatever he/she wants to with the permit once it's received.  For legal reasons it'd be best to keep it forever to CYA, but nothing says you can't give it back to the seller, though legally, that may be violating the law in the sense you didn't accept a permit from the buyer since you gave it back.

NC rocks for firearms: Class 3 allowed, CCW, no AWB bans, no registration (except for Durham), open carry.  What more can you ask for?
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 9:47:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 9:59:22 AM EDT
[#6]
another thing about the pistol permit system, you don't have to wait until you run out to get new ones.  When I get down to 1 I go and get 5 more so I'm never without a permit
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 3:26:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the info.

I like the permit system.  ?

are you kidding? having to ask permission just to buy a pistol?  it's a little bit of New Jersey right here in the south.
worthless, feel-good anti-gun crap

get a CWP and quit worrying with the 'permits'
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 3:52:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the info.

are you kidding? having to ask permission just to buy a pistol?  it's a little bit of New Jersey right here in the south.

Exactly.  The permits are just another annoying hoop to jump through.  

I filled out an application once and the sheriff had added a multiple-choice question that wanted to know why I had to get a handgun.  I left it blank.  You also had to submit contact info for character witnesses.  What a joke.
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 9:13:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the info.

The permit serves as the instant background check as required by the Brady Bill.  Here's the low down for Wake County  Low Down
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 9:16:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I filled out an application once and the sheriff had added a multiple-choice question that wanted to know why I had to get a handgun.  I left it blank.  You also had to submit contact info for character witnesses.  What a joke.

What county is that? Wake used to have the character witness thing going on, but no more.  Just show up, fill out your name, address, how many permits you want, show driver's license, show up a week later and grab the permits.  The permit lady that handles the applications is actually nice and cordial.
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 9:36:59 PM EDT
[#11]
In my county the permits are ready on the next buisness day.  No charge and up to 5 (I think) a visit.  

I'd rather not have to get any, but it's a fairly painless process now.  

I'll try for my first Form 4 signature in a few weeks.  Hopefully that will be pretty easy.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 4:42:22 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What county is that? Wake used to have the character witness thing going on, but no more.  Just show up, fill out your name, address, how many permits you want, show driver's license, show up a week later and grab the permits.  The permit lady that handles the applications is actually nice and cordial.

That was Stanly county.  When I lived in Randolph county, you were in and out with your permits in about 10 minutes.  If they are going to have the permit system, they need to standardize it.  Glad I don't have to deal with it now.
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 4:55:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Doesn't Chapel Hill have an AWB?
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 5:46:41 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Doesn't Chapel Hill have an AWB?

Here's the county codes for NC www.municode.com/resources/code_list.asp?stateID=33

Here's another reason not to move to Chapel Hill:

http://library8.municode.com/gateway.dll/NC/north%20carolina/7977/8034?f=templates$fn=document-frame.htm$3.0$q=$x=$up=1

Sec. 24-2. Exposure of female breasts.
(a)     Scope. This section shall apply to all areas of the county lying outside the jurisdiction of any incorporated municipality.
(b)     Prohibited.
(1)     It shall be unlawful for any female over the age of 14 years, or any other physically developed female person to expose her breasts in such manner that they might be seen from, in or at any street or highway or place of entertainment or place of public assembly or any club where persons may associate for a common purpose.
(2)     The term "expose her breasts" means the revealing of the female breast with less than a fully opaque covering on any portion lower than the top of any part of the areola. The term shall not apply to plunging necklines that do not expose the areola to view.
(c)     Penalty for violation of section. Any violation of this section shall constitute a misdemeanor and shall be punished in accordance with section 1-7. Each day that a violation continues to exist shall be considered a separate offense.
(Ord. of 6-7-1971, §§ 2, 3, 6, eff. 7-10-1971)

Link Posted: 12/29/2004 5:37:12 PM EDT
[#15]
NC is screwed up on its gun laws.  Localities can pass any restrictive measure their liberal minds can dream up.  State law means nothing. Some states have provisions in their gun laws that forbid further restrictions above and beyond the state law.  (Ga is one such state)

Here is an example from Chapel Hill, NC:  AWB

Sec. 11-135. Prohibition on possession of weapons of mass destruction.

(a)    Except as allowed by the exemption contained in section 11-137 of this article, no person shall possess, off his or her own premises, a weapon of mass death and destruction.

(b)    For purposes of this article the term "weapon of mass death and destruction" shall mean:

(1)    Any semi-automatic action, center fire or carbine that accepts a detachable magazine with a capacity of twenty (20) rounds or more;

(2)    Any semi-automatic shotgun with a magazine capacity of more than six (6) rounds;

(3)    Any semi-automatic handgun that is:

a.    A modification of a rifle described in section (b)(1) above, or a modification of an automatic firearm; or,

b.    Originally designed to accept a detachable magazine with a capacity of more than twenty (20) rounds; or,

c.    Possessed while a detachable magazine with a capacity of more than twenty (20) rounds, usable with said handgun, is attached or readily or directly accessible;

(4)    Any part, or combination of parts, designed or intended to convert a firearm into a weapon of mass death and destruction as defined in this section or any combination of parts from which a weapon of mass death and destruction, as defined in this section may be readily assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.

(c)    For purposes of this article the term "weapon of mass death and destruction" shall not include:

(1)    Any firearm within the definition of "weapon of mass death and destruction" contained in N.C. General Statute 14-288.8.

(2)    Any firearm that uses a .22 caliber rimfire ammunition with a detachable magazine with a capacity of thirty (30) rounds or less.

(3)    Any semi-automatic weapon which has been modified to either render it permanently inoperable or to permanently make it a device no longer defined as a weapon of mass death and destruction.

(d)    This section shall not apply to persons authorized by state or federal law to carry firearms in the performance of their duties or persons exempted, by N.C. General Statute Section 14-288.8(b) from the provisions of N.C. General Statute Sec. 14-288.8.

(Ord. No. 93-11-22/O-1, § 1)

Link Posted: 12/29/2004 7:06:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
NC is screwed up on its gun laws.  Localities can pass any restrictive measure their liberal minds can dream up.  State law means nothing. Some states have provisions in their gun laws that forbid further restrictions above and beyond the state law.  (Ga is one such state)

I think the CH AWB is meaningless per NC Statute  14-409.40:

� 14-409.40.  Statewide uniformity of local regulation.
 (a)It is declared by the General Assembly that the
regulation of firearms is properly an issue of general,
statewide concern, and that the entire field of regulation of
firearms is preempted from regulation by local governments
except as provided by this section.

(a1)The General Assembly further declares that the lawful
design, marketing, manufacture, distribution, sale, or transfer
of firearms or ammunition to the public is not an unreasonably
dangerous activity and does not constitute a nuisance per se and
furthermore, that it is the unlawful use of firearms and
ammunition, rather than their lawful design, marketing,
manufacture, distribution, sale, or transfer that is the
proximate cause of injuries arising from their unlawful use.
This subsection applies only to causes of action brought under
subsection (g) of this section.
 (b) Unless otherwise permitted by statute, no county or
municipality, by ordinance, resolution, or other enactment,
shall regulate in any manner the possession, ownership, storage,
transfer, sale, purchase, licensing, or registration of
firearms, firearms ammunition, components of firearms, dealers
in firearms, or dealers in handgun components or parts.

(c) Notwithstanding subsection (b) of this section, a county
or municipality, by zoning or other ordinance, may regulate or
prohibit the sale of firearms at a location only if there is a
lawful, general, similar regulation or prohibition of commercial
activities at that location. Nothing in this subsection shall
restrict the right of a county or municipality to adopt a
general zoning plan that prohibits any commercial activity
within a fixed distance of a school or other educational
institution except with a special use permit issued for a
commercial activity found not to pose a danger to the health,
safety, or general welfare of persons attending the school or
educational institution within the fixed distance.
 (d) No county or municipality, by zoning or other ordinance,
shall regulate in any manner firearms shows with regulations
more stringent than those applying to shows of other types of
items.
 (e) A county or municipality may regulate the transport,
carrying, or possession of firearms by employees of the local
unit of government in the course of their employment with that
local unit of government.
 (f) Nothing contained in this section prohibits
municipalities or counties from application of their authority
under G.S. 153A-129, 160A-189, 14-269, 14-269.2, 14-269.3,
14-269.4, 14-277.2, 14-415.11, 14-415.23, including prohibiting
the possession of firearms in public-owned buildings, on the
grounds or parking areas of those buildings, or in public parks
or recreation areas, except nothing in this subsection shall
prohibit a person from storing a firearm within a motor vehicle
while the vehicle is on these grounds or areas. Nothing
contained in this section prohibits municipalities or counties
from exercising powers provided by law in declared states of
emergency under Article 36A of this Chapter.
 (g) The authority to bring suit and the right to recover
against any firearms or ammunition marketer, manufacturer,
distributor, dealer, seller, or trade association by or on
behalf of any governmental unit, created by or pursuant to an
act of the General Assembly or the Constitution, or any
department, agency, or authority thereof, for damages,
abatement, injunctive relief, or any other remedy resulting from
or relating to the lawful design, marketing, manufacture,
distribution, sale, or transfer of firearms or ammunition to the
public is reserved exclusively to the State. Any action brought
by the State pursuant to this section shall be brought by the
Attorney General on behalf of the State. This section shall not
prohibit a political subdivision or local governmental unit from
bringing an action against a firearms or ammunition marketer,
manufacturer, distributor, dealer, seller, or trade association
for breach of contract or warranty for defect of materials or
workmanship as to firearms or ammunition purchased by the
political subdivision or local governmental unit. (1995 (Reg.
Sess., 1996), c. 727, s. 1; 2002-77, s. 1.)

Is there a lawyer in the house?
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 4:34:36 PM EDT
[#17]
NC gun laws suck when it comes to handguns and NFA items.

CRC
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 5:34:20 PM EDT
[#18]
That BS

fu*k Chapel hill they cant make up their own gun laws in NC

From www.bradycampaign.org/legislation/state/viewstate.php?st=nc#preemption

LOCAL GUN LAWS - PREEMPTION
May cities enact laws stronger than the state's?  No

State law forbids local city or county governments from enacting any local gun laws, even though the state has failed to pass responsible state-wide laws. This preemption of local government authority makes it impossible for cities to enact sensible gun laws to make their citizens safer.

ASSAULT WEAPONS
Are there limitations on assault weapons and magazines?  No

No state restriction on the sale or possession of military-style semiautomatic assault weapons like the AK47 and Uzi. Assault weapons are as easy to buy as hunting rifles. No restriction on the sale or possession of rapid-fire ammunition magazines that can fire up to 100 bullets without reloading. Federal law does prevent the sale of some assault weapons and rapid-fire magazines manufactured after 1994, but the federal law will sunset in 2004 unless Congress and President Bush renew it.

Return to the Menu

Quoted:

Here is an example from Chapel Hill, NC:  AWB

Sec. 11-135. Prohibition on possession of weapons of mass destruction.

(a)    Except as allowed by the exemption contained in section 11-137 of this article, no person shall possess, off his or her own premises, a weapon of mass death and destruction.

(b)    For purposes of this article the term "weapon of mass death and destruction" shall mean:

(1)    Any semi-automatic action, center fire or carbine that accepts a detachable magazine with a capacity of twenty (20) rounds or more;

(2)    Any semi-automatic shotgun with a magazine capacity of more than six (6) rounds;

(3)    Any semi-automatic handgun that is:

a.    A modification of a rifle described in section (b)(1) above, or a modification of an automatic firearm; or,

b.    Originally designed to accept a detac

hable magazine with a capacity of more than twenty (20) rounds; or,

c.    Possessed while a detachable magazine with a capacity of more than twenty (20) rounds, usable with said handgun, is attached or readily or directly accessible;

(4)    Any part, or combination of parts, designed or intended to convert a firearm into a weapon of mass death and destruction as defined in this section or any combination of parts from which a weapon of mass death and destruction, as defined in this section may be readily assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.

(c)    For purposes of this article the term "weapon of mass death and destruction" shall not include:

(1)    Any firearm within the definition of "weapon of mass death and destruction" contained in N.C. General Statute 14-288.8.

(2)    Any firearm that uses a .22 caliber rimfire ammunition with a detachable magazine with a capacity of thirty (30) rounds or less.

(3)    Any semi-automatic weapon which has been modified to either render it permanently inoperable or to permanently make it a device no longer defined as a weapon of mass death and destruction.

(d)    This section shall not apply to persons authorized by state or federal law to carry firearms in the performance of their duties or persons exempted, by N.C. General Statute Section 14-288.8(b) from the provisions of N.C. General Statute Sec. 14-288.8.

(Ord. No. 93-11-22/O-1, § 1)

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:49:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Alot of people complain about our laws, but if your going to have to wait anyways, the permit system here isn't that bad. It's not a registration thing, it's just getting your back ground check done first. I'm not saying I agree with having to do all that crap, but it's really just the same as getting a background check done in any other state. And you get up to 5 permits at a time, so next time you want a pistol, you have no waiting period at all. If you have a CCW, or are a cop you can get the permits the day you apply for them. I don't see that the NFA laws here are bad, I have one, and didn't have to do anything different that in any other NFA legal state. All the paper work I filled out was from the BATF. I had to have the Sheriffs Dept sign off on it, but that was what the BATF required.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:01:35 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Alot of people complain about our laws, but if your going to have to wait anyways, the permit system here isn't that bad. It's not a registration thing, it's just getting your back ground check done first. I'm not saying I agree with having to do all that crap, but it's really just the same as getting a background check done in any other state. And you get up to 5 permits at a time, so next time you want a pistol, you have no waiting period at all. If you have a CCW, or are a cop you can get the permits the day you apply for them. I don't see that the NFA laws here are bad, I have one, and didn't have to do anything different that in any other NFA legal state. All the paper work I filled out was from the BATF. I had to have the Sheriffs Dept sign off on it, but that was what the BATF required.

It is too registration.

The sheriff keeps your name, number and address.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:18:11 AM EDT
[#21]
What is being registered? I have yet to be asked what I was buying, when or where or even if I was actualy going to use the permits I've gotten. The Sheriff has no idea what I did with my permits. Yes, they know I got one, but the next time they just pull out the little card and copy the info down and save some time.
I don't mean to sound "harsh", it is just the way I talk.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:12:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Well the job fell through. But thanks to everyone replying.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:26:39 PM EDT
[#23]
No problem.

CRC
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:43:10 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
What is being registered? I have yet to be asked what I was buying, when or where or even if I was actualy going to use the permits I've gotten. The Sheriff has no idea what I did with my permits. Yes, they know I got one, but the next time they just pull out the little card and copy the info down and save some time.
I don't mean to sound "harsh", it is just the way I talk.

Sheriff also doesn't know what long arms I've bought either.  I'll help him out:  "Hey PoPo, I bought an Assault Rifle!!! nanananananana !"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top