Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 1/30/2006 9:07:04 AM EDT
Tried to order some Black Hills from them this morning via web then phone.  They said they could not ship ammunition to Cincinnati.  I tried to explain there are 1) no local restrictions, and 2) I don't live in the city of Cincinnati proper anyway.  Order girl said they did not differentiate on zip code, Cincy area was Cincy area, so sorry.

Anybody else run into this?  I searched on "Midway" for last 3 months, but no ammo restriction posts showed up.

Am I missing some arcane local regulation?  I just had another ammo order from Sportsman's Guide arrive just fine, ORD on the outside and everything.

BTW, Cabela's got my business today, and Midway will not recieve consideraton in future orders.

Thanks
home-with-kids
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:20:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Midway hasn't had any restrictions on ammo I've heard of - up till now I guess.

Sportsmans Guide has been terrible about this lately though, there was a tread in GD where they wouldn't send ammo to a Maryland resident because he was "too close" to Washington, DC.

Ugh, I hate this. Part of me feels like boycotting both those companies for refusing to sell a legal product to a customer in an area where it's perfectly legal to receive. But, those two companies are my "go to" place for online shopping. Without them, I won't enjoy this hobby very much.

I guess I'll write some letters to the company expressing my disappointment over their policies.

Blame their lawyers and insurance underwriters for this horseshit. And, when you're done, blame the commie fuckstain politicians that sue instead of legislate - because they are the real bad guy here.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:27:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Try Aim Surplus in Middletown. They should have some russion stuff in a month or so.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:34:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Midway sent me a link to the ATF site listing Ohio Munincipality local regs, by city, in an effort to justify their policy.  Unfortunately the link is at work, I do not have it handy.  A quick search at the ATF site did not turn it up either.  I will post it later when if I find it.  A nice PDF listing the city by city local regs.  I did not know that semi-automatic guns are BANNED, BANNED I tell you, in Cincinnati.  Sure doesn't seem to have affected the on-going shoot-a-palooza in some of the more drug tolerant neighborhoods...

There is nothing in the Cincinnati regs that prohibits rifle ammo sales.  I informed MidwayUSA of this, and asked if they had actually, you know, READ the regulations, or just had their lawyers sniff them.

Sportsman; Guide shipped ammo to me just fine.  Apparently they are not as picky, or they can read.  Saying I won't shop a particular vendor is a little harsh, but MidwayUSA will definitely be my vendor of absolute last resort for non-ammo purchases.

BTW, was looking for Black Hills ammo, heavy bullets.  Don't ever remember AIM carrying these, but would go there if they did.

Will also check Bass Pro, other local shops.  Would like to have it by this weekend.

Thanks for input.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:18:52 PM EDT
[#4]
BTW, was looking for Black Hills ammo, heavy bullets. Don't ever remember AIM carrying these, but would go there if they did.

Will also check Bass Pro, other local shops. Would like to have it by this weekend.

Have you tried One Shot?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:38:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

BTW, was looking for Black Hills ammo, heavy bullets.  Don't ever remember AIM carrying these, but would go there if they did.

Will also check Bass Pro, other local shops.  Would like to have it by this weekend.

Thanks for input.

Gander Mountain had 69gr. Black Hills last time I was there. Might try them.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:11:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep, semi-autos are banned in Cincinnati, as are mags in excess of 10 rds.  This is why I have changed EVERYTHING to Norwood, OH, starting with all things firearms related.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:22:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
BTW, was looking for Black Hills ammo, heavy bullets. Don't ever remember AIM carrying these, but would go there if they did.

Will also check Bass Pro, other local shops. Would like to have it by this weekend.

Have you tried One Shot?

+1 on that.  They have some red and blue box on the shelf right now.

Chris is a member here if you want to IM him- OneShotCinci

I don't think I've ever seen BHA at BassPro.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:50:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I will call Chris at the shop tommorow (Tuesday), an send an IM.  

I did not think of him; thanks to Vice and  ShakyJake for reminding me.

<frankenstein voice> BOARD GOOOD <frankenstein voice>

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:13:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I don't think I've ever seen BHA at BassPro.

I have, Blue Box.

Also, the Gander Mountain in Huber Heights has BHA BB in 68 grain Hornady match and 52 grain Hornady match moly.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:17:27 PM EDT
[#10]
SWO et al:

I have BH on order, the OneShot and BP are contingency backups in case UPS fails me.  

Still looking for the ATF link.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:11:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Actually, as much as I hate the ban in Cincinnati, I need to make a correction.

In a nut shell, here is the ban:

The Cincinnati ordinance prohibits the possession of any semi-automatic firearm that was originally designed with or has a fixed magazine or detachable magazine with a capacity of more than 10 rounds for a rifle, 5 rounds for a shotgun and 15 rounds for a handgun. The Cincinnati ordinance also prohibits the possession of any detachable magazine with a magazine capacity in excess of 10 rifle rounds, 5 shotgun rounds or 15 handgun rounds. The Cincinnati ordinance exempts .22 caliber rimfire rifles which have fixed tubular magazines.

An SKS, which is a semi-automatic rifle, as well as an M1 Garand would be quite legal.  One might argue that an AR-15, say from DPMS during the 1994 AWB (post-ban) that was supplied with ONLY 10 rnd magazines would also be legal

Puts me in a bind since I am moving into my fiancee's home while we sell mine here in Northern Kentucky.  I hope to spend less than six months their, but that all depends on how long it takes to sell the house.  I loathe Cincinnati.

I have never had problems getting ammo shipped there though when I lived there (AmmoMan, Sportsman Guide, and Cheaper Than Dirt) nor has my old man before he switched his address down to North Bend.  Sounds like Midway has their head up their @ss,
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:03:58 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Puts me in a bind since I am moving into my fiancee's home while we sell mine here in Northern Kentucky.  I hope to spend less than six months their, but that all depends on how long it takes to sell the house.  I loathe Cincinnati.

Let me know if you need help moving, I can strip a house in no time flat, I learnt that while working as an account manager for Satan........sorry......Rent-A-Center in Trotwood
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:56:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Actually, as much as I hate the ban in Cincinnati, I need to make a correction.

In a nut shell, here is the ban:

The Cincinnati ordinance prohibits the possession of any semi-automatic firearm that was originally designed with or has a fixed magazine or detachable magazine with a capacity of more than 10 rounds for a rifle, 5 rounds for a shotgun and 15 rounds for a handgun. The Cincinnati ordinance also prohibits the possession of any detachable magazine with a magazine capacity in excess of 10 rifle rounds, 5 shotgun rounds or 15 handgun rounds. The Cincinnati ordinance exempts .22 caliber rimfire rifles which have fixed tubular magazines.

An SKS, which is a semi-automatic rifle, as well as an M1 Garand would be quite legal.  One might argue that an AR-15, say from DPMS during the 1994 AWB (post-ban) that was supplied with ONLY 10 rnd magazines would also be legal

I have never had problems getting ammo shipped there though when I lived there (AmmoMan, Sportsman Guide, and Cheaper Than Dirt) nor has my old man before he switched his address down to North Bend.  Sounds like Midway has their head up their @ss,

Yep, I read that. I've got a C&R license and read all the Ohio and Cincinnati laws and chuckled. If not for the boating accident when I moved here from Louisville (I know I should have just driven across the 71/75 bridge instead of renting a canoe to get across) then I'd have all kinds of things that are banned in Cinci. I don't think finding your guns is going to be a priority with anyone. More like one of those if you're already in trouble they can stick you with these other violations. Just keep your nose clean and you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

It'd be a lot better if they'd get rid of all the infringement laws.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:21:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

hr

If you need a temporary home for any of those evil guns I can look after them for you.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:25:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

If you need a temporary home for any of those evil guns I can look after them for you.  

Opportunist!

Hey, where have you been hiding??
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:32:35 PM EDT
[#16]
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/statelaws/25thedition/ohio.pdf

there's the Ohio code link on the ATF site.  I'll make it hot too, but don't know if going directly there from here is a good idea.  Maybe a Mod will decide

hot version of the above ATF link
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:28:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:If you need a temporary home for any of those evil guns I can look after them for you.  

Yeah, right, I am not that easy...well, not while I am sober.  I'll be keeping my hi-cap rifle mags and the AK on the farm and the rest are staying in the house.  All my pistol mags are 15 or less.

Oh, and for those that do not know, Cincinnati is not the only city in Ohio like this.  All the major cities are: Cleveland, Dayton, Toledo, Akron and of course.....Columbus (boooo hisssss).

Does anyone know if the changes that are being made to the conceal carry laws going to affect "assault" bans?  My lawyer friend in Chicago seems to think so.  Ohio law will supersede all local laws.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:37:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Does anyone know if the changes that are being made to the conceal carry laws going to affect "assault" bans?  My lawyer friend in Chicago seems to think so.  Ohio law will supersede all local laws.

Yes, the CCW reform bill out now contains a state preemption act that will supercede ALL local bans, restrictions, etc., since there are none at the state level.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:10:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Sweet.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:11:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me know if you need help moving, I can strip a house in no time flat, I learnt that while working as an account manager for Satan........sorry......Rent-A-Center in Trotwood

I'll let you know.  I have a nice 32" tube TV and an old heavy pull out bed/love seat combo you can lift.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:18:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Opportunist! Hey,

I have just been busy.  I wish I could have made the last Millers shoot.  It looks like I missed a great time.  Are you going to have another shoot this summer?  The whole family had so much fun at your last one it was like a mini vacation!

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:45:33 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Opportunist!

I have just been busy.  I wish I could have made the last Millers shoot.  It looks like I missed a great time.  Are you going to have another shoot this summer?  The whole family had so much fun at your last one it was like a mini vacation!

There will definately be a Summer Shoot - aiming for June 2-3-4.

I'll send out emails when everything's concrete....and I'm planning on bigger, better, more!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:39:46 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll let you know.  I have a nice 32" tube TV and an old heavy pull out bed/love seat combo you can lift.  

Just keep me in mind, not only can I strip your house, I can do it without damaging your belongings
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:40:33 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Opportunist!

There will definately be a Summer Shoot - aiming for June 2-3-4.

I'll send out emails when everything's concrete....and I'm planning on bigger, better, more!

Hell yeah, last year was a hoot, top notch day out.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:42:47 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I learnt that while working as an account manager for Satan........sorry......Rent-A-Center in Trotwoodhr

You as an account manager for Rent-a-Center??? Really??  Hmmm,,, an Englishman communicating with the locals in Trotwood,,,, that's some funny stuff right there! Wish I could have been privy to some of those conversations with your "clients" LOL!!!!  

cheers,

Mike
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:10:13 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I learnt that while working as an account manager for Satan........sorry......Rent-A-Center in Trotwood

You as an account manager for Rent-a-Center??? Really??  Hmmm,,, an Englishman communicating with the locals in Trotwood,,,, that's some funny stuff right there! Wish I could have been privy to some of those conversations with your "clients" LOL!!!!  

cheers,

Mike

That was store number 3, I worked at two stores in Richmond, In before Trotwood, and boy, were my eyes opened.
As far as the accent, at first it was a shocker for most and may have got me out of trouble a few times, but there were the few altercations where my accent wasn't doing anything for me.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:12:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Yep ciny sucks. I bought my first glock 19 at roy tailors and there is a 15 day waiting period before I can get my gun. If it was not for me getting the law enforcement discount on the gun I would have bought it somewhere else.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:53:57 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Yep ciny sucks. I bought my first glock 19 at roy tailors and there is a 15 day waiting period before I can get my gun. If it was not for me getting the law enforcement discount on the gun I would have bought it somewhere else.

If we all work through our Assembly reps to pass the CCW reform bill now pending, all the Cinci/Cleveland/Kolumbus/Toledo/Dayton gun law bullshit will evaporate, as the bill contains a state firearms law preemption clause.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top