Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2005 10:34:54 AM EDT
One week away.  I missed the last one (in May) due to a family affair but I'll be making this one!

Who's going?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:14:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Is there a link to some info?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:22:49 AM EDT
[#2]
CAUTION: You should always check the website and/or the shows promoter for any updates to the scheduled shows.

ORANGE COUNTY GUN SHOW
ORANGE COUNTY FAIR GROUNDS
239 WISNER AVE
MIDDLETOWN, NY
845-621-2815

Directions & Discount Coupon

SEPT 10 & 11

DEC 3 & 4
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:00:54 PM EDT
[#3]
So how is the gun show there? Typical gun show prices and junk?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:43:49 PM EDT
[#4]
IVE BEEN THERE TWICE
i think it just sucks.and if you are from jersey,they wont sell ya shit.
and their prices teeter on theivery.
go to the valley forge show on the 17th of sept.
crowded but way way better. plus its in my free state of pa.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:01:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
CAUTION: You should always check the website and/or the shows promoter for any updates to the scheduled shows.

ORANGE COUNTY GUN SHOW
ORANGE COUNTY FAIR GROUNDS
239 WISNER AVE
MIDDLETOWN, NY
845-621-2815

Directions & Discount Coupon

SEPT 10 & 11

DEC 3 & 4

Why?  There has never been a cancellation in the 18 years that I have been up here.  (Yes, the show did go on despite a major snowstorm the day before two years ago, Feb 2004.)
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:46:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Why?  There has never been a cancellation in the 18 years that I have been up here.  (Yes, the show did go on despite a major snowstorm the day before two years ago, Feb 2004.)

Normal disclaimer in case it gets rescheduled or the date/time/location is incorrectly posted. Probably no big deal if you live ten minutes away but if you're 2-3 hours away R/T you might be a little pissed if something changed.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:47:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
IVE BEEN THERE TWICE
i think it just sucks.and if you are from jersey,they wont sell ya shit.
and their prices teeter on theivery.
go to the valley forge show on the 17th of sept.
crowded but way way better. plus its in my free state of pa.

I've gone twice also and I'm looking forward to it.  

Not sure how bad of a rip-off you mean.  Nothing seems to be a bargain, but are there bargains anywhere anymore?

I like it because they do have TONS of stuff (IMO at least) and it's only 20 minutes from my house.  The Kingston show (an hour drive) was a total waste, there were only like 20-25 vendors there.

And, I'm excited because this will be the fist show I've attended since I got my pistol license so I have a whole new shopping list of things I might want to buy.

ETA: Also, just out of curiosity, what do you mean they won't sell you anything if you're from Jersey?  What difference would that make?  Please enlighten an inquiring mind.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:35:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I will be there Sunday Morning.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:11:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Normal disclaimer in case it gets rescheduled or the date/time/location is incorrectly posted. Probably no big deal if you live ten minutes away but if you're 2-3 hours away R/T you might be a little pissed if something changed.  

That may be a normal disclaimer for other show promoters but not NewMart Productions Inc.

Yes, I do recall the Tech City Gun Dog Show.  The promoter went tits up and did not bother to tell anybody.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:08:34 AM EDT
[#10]
I usually go to the Middletown shows because they are so close.  That said, you see the same vendors selling the same crap every show.  I don't know how these guys stay in business - they bring the same beat up crap back to the show every year and keep raising the prices?  If it didn't sell last year for less do you really expect to sell it this time??

I usually pick up some surplus ammo from the guy by the bathrooms - even with tax his price is generally better than paying shipping.  Be very careful about buying guns from guys walking around with signs on them for private sale.  I understand that the State Police have been busting people for no backround checks - even if the deal is done outside the show.  I will probably be there on Sunday morning.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:41:16 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Be very careful about buying guns from guys walking around with signs on them for private sale.  I understand that the State Police have been busting people for no backround checks - even if the deal is done outside the show.

AFAIK there were a number of arrests by the NYSP at the show in May. There is no problem buying form someone selling a gun just have it transferred by an on-site FFL at the show.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:23:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I usually go to the Middletown shows because they are so close.  That said, you see the same vendors selling the same crap every show.  I don't know how these guys stay in business - they bring the same beat up crap back to the show every year and keep raising the prices?  If it didn't sell last year for less do you really expect to sell it this time??

I usually pick up some surplus ammo from the guy by the bathrooms - even with tax his price is generally better than paying shipping.  Be very careful about buying guns from guys walking around with signs on them for private sale.  I understand that the State Police have been busting people for no backround checks - even if the deal is done outside the show.  I will probably be there on Sunday morning.

I buy my ammo from them and from United Cartridge on the other side.  As for the arrests, the deals were struck inside the show and then the morons went outside to complete the deal to avoid paying a transfer fee.  There are enough signs warning people that gun deals in the parking lots are prohibited by law.  If you bring a gun to sell, you are required to leave them your DL.  As rkbar15 said, if you sell, you have the weapon transfered by one of the many FFLs there.  You and the buyer are given receipts and you are both good to go.

I'll be there on Saturday.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:22:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I'll be there on sunday after 11am

I have to work in the AM

hope to see a few ar15 members there

John
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:23:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Nobody going on Saturday?  I plan to be there early, waiting on one of the two lines!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:42:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Im gonna try and make it there saturday... May be bringing  couple rifles forsale/trade/  Preban AK's

Joezeta
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:08:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll be there Saturday.  I'll be wearing a "Peace Through Superior Firepower" T-shirt.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:31:50 PM EDT
[#17]
the best ammo deals at the show are not at the show . talk to charlie from collector in hopewell he is set up under the yollow banner that says " MILITARY GUNS" the wont let him bring ammo to the show because the other ammo guy cry to much . if you want to call him  its 845 227 4100 hes open 7 days a week and he dont charge 8.00 admissiom
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:38:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
they wont let him bring ammo to the show because the other ammo guy cry to much .

Ummmmmmm, OK

Do you really know the reason that good 'ol Red doesn't sell ammo at shows anymore or are you just talking out your ass?

As far as his shop goes, anyone that has dealt with him knows while his prices are somewhat decent, his attitude just plain sucks.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:25:35 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
they wont let him bring ammo to the show because the other ammo guy cry to much .

Ummmmmmm, OK

Do you really know the reason that good 'ol Red doesn't sell ammo at shows anymore or are you just talking out your ass?

As far as his shop goes, anyone that has dealt with him knows while his prices are somewhat decent, his attitude just plain sucks.

No, he is not talking out of his ass because that is exactly what my FFL said when I asked him why Red doesn't bring ammo to the Middletown Show.  Red's attitude sucks but his case prices at Big Al's shows, where the other two ammo dealers do not go, were always cheaper than the case prices at the Middletown Show.  For that matter why bother going to the show when you can go to United Cartridge in Congers and buy it there?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:21:50 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ummmmmmm, OK

No, he is not talking out of his ass because that is exactly what my FFL said when I asked him why Red doesn't bring ammo to the Middletown Show.  Red's attitude sucks but his case prices at Big Al's shows, where the other two ammo dealers do not go, were always cheaper than the case prices at the Middletown Show.  For that matter why bother going to the show when you can go to United Cartridge in Congers and buy it there?

Is he like a slightly overweight older guy with thin, very light colored hair? If it's the one I think it is, he IS a dick! I saw a guy ask him if he bought two guns from him ( can't remember what kind) if he would give him a discount. The guy told him "no" that he was the only one who had them and his price was the price to pay. I walked away from his table at that moment and never returnded then or at the Tech City show in Kingstion.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:26:29 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Is he like a slightly overweight older guy with thin, very light colored hair? If it's the one I think it is, he IS a dick! I saw a guy ask him if he bought two guns from him ( can't remember what kind) if he would give him a discount. The guy told him "no" that he was the only one who had them and his price was the price to pay. I walked away from his table at that moment and never returnded then or at the Tech City show in Kingstion.

He is in his early 50's, reddish-blonde hair (hence the "Red" nickname), combed back in an old style pompadoor. He has as much class as an earthworm when it comes to his business. I could tell you so many stories in which his attitude has lost him business, it isn't even funny, but I will leave it to your imagination.

You know the stories you hear all of the time about gun shop owners and their piss poor customer appreciation? Well, he wrote the book as a biography.

As far as the Middletown show goes, like others have said. It is a wonder that 99% of the dealers don't go out of business, seeing they carry the same stuff home that they came with. If you do go, pay close attention to how many 4473 forms are being filled out for gun sales. VERY FEW!
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:48:36 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He is in his early 50's, reddish-blonde hair (hence the "Red" nickname), combed back in an old style pompadoor. He has as much class as an earthworm when it comes to his business. I could tell you so many stories in which his attitude has lost him business, it isn't even funny, but I will leave it to your imagination.

You know the stories you hear all of the time about gun shop owners and their piss poor customer appreciation? Well, he wrote the book as a biography.

As far as the Middletown show goes, like others have said. It is a wonder that 99% of the dealers don't go out of business, seeing they carry the same stuff home that they came with. If you do go, pay close attention to how many 4473 forms are being filled out for gun sales. VERY FEW!

And then towards the end of the show you hear the gun dealers talking amongst each other about how lousy the show was.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:17:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Im going to try and make it on Saturday, i will probably bring some ammo to sell.........
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:57:36 PM EDT
[#24]
i have been doing bisness with him for years and he dont like assholes &  idiots  who try to chew him down on the price . so if you ask him for a deral he tells you to fuck of or go to wall mart but if you act like a gentleman you get the same back and more ---thats all
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:58:38 PM EDT
[#25]
i have been doing bisness with him for years and he dont like assholes &  idiots  who try to chew him down on the price . so if you ask him for a deral he tells you to fuck of or go to wall mart but if you act like a gentleman you get the same back and more ---thats all
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:59:27 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Dude, you are so wrong it's not even funny.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:13:18 PM EDT
[#27]
I have done a few deals with Charlie over the years and never had a problem with him.  As a matter of fact at the Kingston show last year I picked up 1000 rounds of .308 that he told me was boxer primed South African.  I had never heard of boxer primed SA so I started doing some research when I got home.  Turns out the ammo was in fact Indian (which has a very nasty reputation).  I called Charlie up and discussed the matter with him - he told me to come into the shop and he would swap the ammo even for Aussie 308.  I was very happy with the outcome - guess I got him on a good day.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:10:40 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
the best ammo deals at the show are not at the show . talk to charlie from collector in hopewell he is set up under the yollow banner that says " MILITARY GUNS" the wont let him bring ammo to the show because the other ammo guy cry to much . if you want to call him  its 845 227 4100 hes open 7 days a week and he dont charge 8.00 admissiom

I delt with Carlie once. He was  kinda ...gruff. Ammo prices were good. Of course with the exception of B&J guns most gun shop owners & workers are gruff. They all seem to think they're doing you a favor by waiting on you.  BTW I not one of these goof balls that walks in asking stupid questions or looking to get a great deal.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:16:11 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

He told me the same thing at his shop. Do I blame him ....no. Can you blame me for trying...no. So I only bought 1 of what I was looking at & left. If he was a bit more pleasent I would go there often cuz he had a good selection of guns & ammo prices were good
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:17:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Not trying to hijack the thread, but when it comes to not dealing on prices Bob's Gun Exchange in Goshen is the same way.  Pay what is on the tag or leave empty handed are your only two options.

Back on topic - I stopped into the gunshow this morning and was not disappointed in my expectations.  It was the same guys selling the same crap for more money than the last show.  I actually walked out of the show empty handed and $7.00 poorer.  What a waste of time!
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 11:55:12 AM EDT
[#31]
As Bushman_269 said, the show sucked but I did find what I wanted and it was $30 cheaper than the last show at $109 a case (Portuguese 7.62x39).  I went in the morning and walked around with RONIN45.  At that time Portuguese .308 at United Cartridge was $199.  When I came back in the afternoon, it was $225.  Plenty of SA .308 but at $225, nobody was buying.  The Port was selling though.  Go figure!  With a few exceptions, all the ammo was up considerably since the last show.  This time, Ralph Flint did not have any illegally configured AR15s and the NYSP Investigator was checking his ARs this time around.

Quoted:
Not trying to hijack the thread, but when it comes to not dealing on prices Bob's Gun Exchange in Goshen is the same way.  Pay what is on the tag or leave empty handed are your only two options.

That is the truth.  Though I did get two good deals from Bob.  A like new preban Colt AR15 for $999 in 2002 and a complete Colt AR15 7.62x39 upper for $375 in 2003.  I have not been there in over a year and a half.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:04:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:18:32 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
No wonder I can't get Ronin on the phone, he is out at the gunshow with you!

He asked how you were doing.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:21:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:22:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Those that went to the show. I am not sure of his name, but there is always a few tables w. strictly AR stuff. Anyone know what hw was getting for his stripped lowers? I was looking for a OLY stripped lower and i knew he had a few.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:02:43 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Those that went to the show. I am not sure of his name, but there is always a few tables w. strictly AR stuff. Anyone know what hw was getting for his stripped lowers? I was looking for a OLY stripped lower and i knew he had a few.

You are talking about Ralph Flint.  IIRC, the Olys are somewhere in the $175-$199 range.  There is a guy just before you get to him that has Stag lowers for $100.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:34:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Raptor, it was great to see you again. Hiram, sorry i missed your call. I will reach out to you tomorrow night and we can catch up on a few things. The show was OK, there were quite a few tables selling flea market type items. I always get a kick out of the guys who are trying to sell either a firearm or some type of gear, and they always feel they have to add in some type of swoopie story to go along with the item( you know the seals use this, stories like that). Hey Raptor, what about that guy selling the Fed 223 for $150.00 per K,, LOL. I am going to try and get to the Valley Forge show next Saturday. Stay Safe Guys...........
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 11:26:47 PM EDT
[#38]
I went today because I needed a few small parts .
Basically the same ole shit at same ole too high prices .

Although there was a guy in the middle row selling
M4 uppers 3 were 100% colt and two had FN bolts and
front sights .

I walked by and looked them over twice .
The one I wanted was one of the FN marked
units that had a clean bore and light gray finish ,
but the pipe wrench teeth marks on the barrel
made me shy away . Even though he kept dropping
the price .

I may go back tomorrow and offer him a $100
less then the lowest price he gave me

Then again I didn't exactly leave empty handed today

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:39:19 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Raptor, it was great to see you again. Hiram, sorry i missed your call. I will reach out to you tomorrow night and we can catch up on a few things. The show was OK, there were quite a few tables selling flea market type items. I always get a kick out of the guys who are trying to sell either a firearm or some type of gear, and they always feel they have to add in some type of swoopie story to go along with the item( you know the seals use this, stories like that). Hey Raptor, what about that guy selling the Fed 223 for $150.00 per K,, LOL. I am going to try and get to the Valley Forge show next Saturday. Stay Safe Guys...........

Oh that guy!  But he did not have a table at the show, LOL!  It was good to see you again and thanks for the great deal on the Federal .223.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:43:12 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I went today because I needed a few small parts .
Basically the same ole shit at same ole too high prices .

Although there was a guy in the middle row selling
M4 uppers 3 were 100% colt and two had FN bolts and
front sights .

I walked by and looked them over twice .
The one I wanted was one of the FN marked
units that had a clean bore and light gray finish ,
but the pipe wrench teeth marks on the barrel
made me shy away . Even though he kept dropping
the price .

I may go back tomorrow and offer him a $100
less then the lowest price he gave me

Then again I didn't exactly leave empty handed today

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=41463

Was that the guy that was selling the Stag lowers for $100?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:21:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:23:28 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Yeah , I think it was , He had them in a display case ?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:38:30 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah , I think it was , He had them in a display case ?

Yes, that is him.  I might have been looking at the lowers while you were talking to him about the uppers.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:41:08 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
He might have a better idea of that if he ever picked up the phone and returned a call...

He only calls people who he WANTS to talk to....

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:57:31 PM EDT
[#45]
I went and it  was lame

no good deals and no was willing to haggle at all

I did pick up a few boxes of 9mm subsonic

I was tring to sell my SP1

but no takers for what I was asking

anyway theres alway next time
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:13:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:42:59 PM EDT
[#47]
The Guy who had the $100 lowers was a Conn dealer. You had to buy it and do a transfer w/ a NY dealer which added $25 to price. Which was fine, but come to find out the can't sell to Pa. residents. I should have checked before I went.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:35:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Meanwhile NYS residents can legally go and buy a longarm in a contiguous state (CT, PA, VT, MA...).  Sure makes a lot of sense.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top