Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 7/18/2008 9:37:57 AM EDT
I have not seen any flags, except those on government premises, at half-staff today, to honor Sgt. Steven J. Chevalier, who died in Iraq defending our country and freedom.

Why is it that most do not care?

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:01:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/18/2008 10:02:35 AM EDT by adawg]

Originally Posted By Richard257:
I have not seen any flags, except those on government premises, at half-staff today, to honor Sgt. Steven J. Chevalier, who died in Iraq defending our country and freedom.

Why is it that most do not care?

Our flag here at work is at half-staff with an email that was sent company-wide honoring Army Sgt. 1st Class Steven J. Chevalier of Flint.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:14:25 AM EDT
I hear ya. If a business flies a flag they need to pay more attention. I mean shit...the state makes it really easy to know when you have to lower the flag. All you have to do is subscribe to the email alerts here: Michigan Flag Honors Subscription

Also: Main Page for Michigan Flag Honors
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:47:12 AM EDT
what I found its the foreigners running business`s most of the time, that dont lower the flag,
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 1:09:37 PM EDT
A flag flies in front of my house 24/7. I do not hear in time when I am to lower my flag. If I did it for one and not another would that be disrespecful?

Is there e-mail alerts to when I am to lower my flag?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 4:01:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/18/2008 4:02:14 PM EDT by adawg]

Originally Posted By bobwrench:
Is there e-mail alerts to when I am to lower my flag?

www.michigan.gov/gov/0,1607,7-168-23442_28502-117722--,00.html

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:12:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/19/2008 5:14:29 AM EDT by ShermiesRule]
Technically speaking only the President and Governor can order flags at half mast and there is a list of dignitaries that are eligible for half mast. Lowering the flag for fallen soldiers is not on the list. It is not proper for individuals to decide when to lower the flag. I would guess most people don't receiver the order to do so
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:33:54 AM EDT
I moved back here from New England a few years ago and I still spend a lot of time over there and I notice almost every time that people there are more concerned with supporting the soldiers and whats going on with them. Veteran's Day and Memorial Day don't seem to matter to anybody out here, they were a big deal there. This year we were scheduled for 52 flyovers on Memorial Day in CT.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:42:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ShermiesRule:
Technically speaking only the President and Governor can order flags at half mast and there is a list of dignitaries that are eligible for half mast. Lowering the flag for fallen soldiers is not on the list. It is not proper for individuals to decide when to lower the flag. I would guess most people don't receiver the order to do so

What we are talking about here is not just any individual ordering the flag to be lowered. We are talking about the Governor doing so for fallen soldiers. You are correct that there is a list showing when to do so. What the Governor has done is taken advantage of a "gray area" in Title 4, Chapter 1, Section 7 of the US Code which states:

In the event of the death of a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, the Governor of that State, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff.

Her interpretation is that Soldiers, Marines, Airmen, Sailors, and Coast Guardsmen are present/former officials of the state of Michigan. If that's the case she does in fact have the authority to lower the flag. I personally think it's a fitting tribute and honor to our fallen.

As far as people not receiving the order to do so....well I already addressed that in my first post in this thread. If you are a business and fly a flag you need to subscribe to the alerts that state has provided.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:00:50 AM EDT
I think most care about our servicemen they just are more caring when it hits close to home.
I noticed many flags at half staff on fridays ride home.
The father of PFC Andrew H. Nelson comes into our shop weekly to buy items. He wears picture dog tags and a button pic of his son everyday. It still tears me up almost two years later .

www.andrewnelsonmemorial.com/
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:29:14 AM EDT
Is the Governor ordering the flag to half mast for fallen soldiers being
done in all states, or just a few?

I must admit I was torn when it first started happening. I know we need to do everything we
can to properly honor those who have fallen in service to our country, but at the same time in the beginning it was a bit disheartening to see the flag at half mast what seemed continuously when casualties were at a higher rate.

The flag flying tall and proud even in a dark hour to rally us to victory, versus seeing it fly low to honor each fallen soldier while the battle still goes on.

Just a thought.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:39:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/19/2008 8:39:31 AM EDT by Avenger069]

Originally Posted By MightySwede:
Is the Governor ordering the flag to half mast for fallen soldiers being
done in all states, or just a few?

Not all but there are a few from what I understand.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:20:52 PM EDT
Just subscribed..... Don't have a flag to raise and lower but now I will know why the are lowered.

-Cthor

p.s. isn't it Michiganders?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:17:48 PM EDT
Thanks guys, never knew we could subscribe to such a service. Signed up the work email. We will fly at half mast after we install the new flagpole.
Top Top