Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/18/2003 6:23:03 PM EDT
I know of a great place near lake michigan that will work well in the spring.  

www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&countryid=250&addtohistory=&address=&city=ludington&state=Mi&zipcode=&submit=Get+Map

All that land is federal property.  There is rustic camping which is free. The camp site loops are pay.  There are toilets and water available.

We've never had a problem with shooting there but we should check into it.  There is a good spot with a nice berm.

There is a gas station on the corner of US31 by the turn off a few miles down the road.

The beach is nice like every Michigan beach.  There are hiking trails also. Hamlin Lake is good for fishing. This spot looks good for a cheap camping getaway with hopefully something for everyone.  There are also hotels in nearby Ludington.  The closest would be Lands Inn.

What do you think for a May-ish get together?
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 6:32:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds good, that is right in track with my "Every Other Month Road Trip" 5 year plan!

Keep updated!
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 6:37:36 PM EDT
[#2]
sounds good...keep me updated
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 6:54:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds real good in terms of location.

Here is a link to a map at topozone of ludington area.  Could you find the area you are talking about and then put a link up to the spot?

topozone.com/map.asp?z=16&n=4866121&e=548019&s=200&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:54:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm in.  I think.

Bobwrench
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 8:01:21 PM EDT
[#5]
This is a rustic camping spot with a berm to the west.  It is predominantly hard wooded with plenty of good camping spots.

topozone.com/map.asp?z=16&n=4884464.0001404&e=548396.000000005&datum=nad83
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 9:26:46 PM EDT
[#6]
im all up for it, nice weekend away lets just pic a day early so I can put in for the time off.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:59:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Cool. Pick a day.

Or post a poll?
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 6:10:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I think I might be in for that, its relativly close to home, sounds like fun, and Im much more willing to camp when its warm out

not like my Boy Scout days didnt bring me into cold weather :-D
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:26:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I messed up the poll.  There were not enough choices anyway.  Mid to late April is what I was thinking.  

So how about the April 24, and 25?
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 6:25:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Mid to late April sounds about right.  Lets nail this down so I can make plans.  

Bobwrench
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 9:40:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Naked80 - I fired up the poll. I voted late April early may.  Please pick the best two dates.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 6:52:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Missed this week's shoot (church stuff and not happy about it) and I need to have a date for the camp out as soon as we can so I can arrange for time off. Wife (Pam) is on board and ready to shoot at same. Just need dates.
Link Posted: 1/6/2004 1:34:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Im liking this plan more and more...I hate shooting alone. I can swing by GVSU and meet with counselers for next college year, and then run up to Ludington. You can pretty much count on me to be there!
Link Posted: 1/6/2004 7:30:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Okay, April 24 & 25is the weekend.

I'll arrive most likely on the 22nd to secure the primitive, first come first serve camping area with a nice shooting berm.

This is the closest motel if you aren't into roughing it.  They have good rates, pool, hot tub and sauna last I was there.  So if someone gets a room, us campers can spiff the pool and hot tub.

www.landsinn.com/

www.vipmall.com/landsinn.html
Link Posted: 1/7/2004 6:21:42 AM EDT
[#15]
So whats the agenda? Arrive evening of 24th, bullshit and eat, Shoot 25th, go home morning of 26th? Or pack in a second day of shooting on the 24th?
Link Posted: 1/7/2004 7:22:50 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
So whats the agenda? Arrive evening of 24th, bullshit and eat, Shoot 25th, go home morning of 26th? Or pack in a second day of shooting on the 24th?

I don't know at this point.

I'm arriving on the 22nd and staying through the 24th.  This looks like a choose your own activity deal.  We'll get together on fri night most likely and figure out planned activities based on attendance.

EDIT: I'm sure we'll have plenty of time for shooting daily.
Link Posted: 1/12/2004 1:55:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Very interesting. This could be another item on the ajenda for the year of Cordes.
Link Posted: 1/12/2004 3:43:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Pam and I are in.

We are going to bring 2k rounds, a break down bench, and camping equipment.

One cooler food and water, one beer?

What about firewood?

Targets? I can bring a box of bowling pins.

Target frames?
Link Posted: 1/14/2004 7:51:29 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Pam and I are in.

We are going to bring 2k rounds, a break down bench, and camping equipment.

One cooler food and water, one beer?

What about firewood?

Targets? I can bring a box of bowling pins.

Target frames?

There are no supplied targets.  It's just a berm.  Please, I would like to see everyone with proper shooting attire safety glasses etc. especially if shooting pins.  I have seen bullet frags come back at the shooters when on the line.  

It is a Federal Forest so if you must take a chainsaw you do so at your own risk.  I'm bringing firewood.

Alcohol is permitted and will be enjoyed,  Cuban cigars are also, as I am going on a Carribean cruise next week.

Jack assing while in possession of gun(s) while intoxicated is illegal in this state.  Jack assing Timmah style will not be permitted either.
Link Posted: 1/14/2004 10:46:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Ok, I will get take down style target frame made to have another shooting activity to go with the pins.
Link Posted: 1/15/2004 7:37:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Is this sight available for travel trailers?  Or is it just tents?  My wife will not come if she can not take the trailer.  I would like to go back the tent just to remember what it was like.

Bobwrench
Link Posted: 1/16/2004 6:46:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Is this sight available for travel trailers?  Or is it just tents?  My wife will not come if she can not take the trailer.  I would like to go back the tent just to remember what it was like.

Bobwrench

Pan north twice from this mapquest address, and zoom in once and you'll see the camping loops by the beach.  

www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&countryid=250&addtohistory=&address=&city=ludington&state=Mi&zipcode=&submit=Get+Map

topozone.com/map.asp?lat=44.1119&lon=-86.4143&size=s&symshow=n&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25

You can see a few loops there that are paved for trailers.  We will be camping about 2 miles east.  The spots there are pay.  Rustic camping where I will be is free.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2004 8:14:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm interested.
Link Posted: 2/10/2004 1:02:06 PM EDT
[#24]
If I can get a trip to Grand Haven set up for that weekend, this is only an hour north so I will at least drop by for the day if possible.

If not, I may just come for the whole thing anyway.
Link Posted: 3/1/2004 7:57:59 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
If I can get a trip to Grand Haven set up for that weekend, this is only an hour north so I will at least drop by for the day if possible.

If not, I may just come for the whole thing anyway.

man you gotta come for the weekend..and bring mindy..il bring "long range loads" for her toy
Link Posted: 3/6/2004 4:09:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Im really pumped about this shoot, never had a chance to shoot with fellow ARFcommers yet.  I wish I had enough cash for a ton of ammo AND parts to finish my M4gery. I guess a ton of ammo will have to suffice.
Link Posted: 3/6/2004 6:15:49 PM EDT
[#27]
I will be there.  I am now stocking up on every thing I can imagine I will need.
Link Posted: 4/22/2004 5:23:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Alright, the campout is coming!!!  Will anyone be bringing full-auto and allowing other people to try it out?  If so, I would love to get a few seconds of trigger time, and I will bring my own ammo!

Edit: I will most likely be arrving on Saturday Morning, but I am trying to clear the schedule for arriving friday night.
Link Posted: 4/22/2004 9:12:12 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm going to be leaving in a couple hours.  I should be there by 7:00 Thurs night conservatively.

Happyshooter called me and he and his wife have backed out.  There are reasonable motels within 7-8 miles if some of you wimps are afraid of nasty weather.

I will see you there!

EDIT: Some bad stuff happened and I didn't leave. Friday by noon I should be there.  I'll post right before I'm out the door.

Doug

Leaving 9:00 Am. see you there.
Link Posted: 4/23/2004 1:47:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Weather report is looking very bad for this weekend. I may not be in on this shoot, depending on how the weather is reported for the weekend.  Since its 2+ hours for me, driving there, and getting rained on 1 or 2 hours into my stay isnt my cup of tea.
Link Posted: 4/25/2004 5:10:14 PM EDT
[#31]
I arived on friday night about 8:00 pm and found Naked80 sitting all by himself.  I unloaded and set up and waited for the others to come.  Nobody else showed up.

I was disappointed but had a good time until Sat night when it was clear that it was going to rain.  I packed up and left about 9:00.  I felt bad for Naked80 for bailing on him.  But I did make it.

Lets try this again later in the year.  Anybody up to it?
Link Posted: 4/26/2004 5:59:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Im up for it for sure, sorry I couldnt make it for this one, but you know how it is, I guess I was right about the weather.  I was depressed all weekend because I wasnt shooting.  I hope we can set up another one.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:16:04 PM EDT
[#33]
It was a good camp out weekend.  The weather was comfortable all days with only a sweatshirt.  It was chilly Friday night but no problem if you had a good sleeping bag.  The sun was out until Saturday evening when the clouds and rain rolled in.

Bobwrench was the only one to show up.  We had a good  time even with the low turn out.    
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top