Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2007 1:27:26 PM EDT
This post has nothing to do with firearms, except that I'm gonna go lookin' around at some tomorrow sometime I'm working in Miami Beach (a few weeks now), and wondered if anyone could suggest a good Southern style BBQ restaurant between Miami & Homestead. I'm located off exit 13 on the 'Pike. Thanks in advance.

Patrad.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 1:52:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not 100% sure what you mean by Southern Style BBQ, but Shorty's has several locations in Miami-Dade County.  The one I am familiar with is on US 1 in Pincecrest.  It always has a crowd and I've never had a bad meal there.  

From the "When in Rome Department," if you've never had Cuban food, you would be cheating yourself to pass it up.  The food is excellent and the prices can't be beat.  There's probably 100 decent Cuban restaurants in the area.  I highly recommend that you seek one out.  It seems like every person to ever run for president/governor/senator/dog catcher goes to Versailles on Calle Ocho.  

Enjoy your stay in Miami.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 5:55:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Kilo and Captain. All suggestions are welcome (well, almost all) Why just Saturday for The Pit - that sounds interesting I only get 1 day off, so I like to have a good meal that day. 2 weeks ago, The Outback; last Sunday, endless shrimp at Red Lobster; tomorrow, something different. They all sound good Dammit man - always with the choices

Thanks again, y'all - more suggestions please,
Patrad.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:34:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Here you go. As Southern BBQ as you can get. Very good.

Shiver's Bar-B-Q
Address:   28001 S Dixie Hwy, Homestead, FL 33033  
Phone: (305) 248-2272

Link Posted: 10/6/2007 8:18:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks Kilo and Captain. All suggestions are welcome (well, almost all) Why just Saturday for The Pit - that sounds interesting I only get 1 day off, so I like to have a good meal that day. 2 weeks ago, The Outback; last Sunday, endless shrimp at Red Lobster; tomorrow, something different. They all sound good Dammit man - always with the choices

Thanks again, y'all - more suggestions please,
Patrad.

I think me and a few of my buddies are going to do that next weekend, and try to eat'em out of shrimp.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 12:02:22 PM EDT
[#5]
if you're still down for Sergio's, there's another off exit 16 southbound(152 ST) from the Turnpike...just head west past the Zoo and it's a little before 137th on the left hand side.

As far as BBQ, Shorty's is okay, but if you're really down for a trip head to Sonny's in Florida City
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 12:35:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Here you go. As Southern BBQ as you can get. Very good.

Shiver's Bar-B-Q
Address:   28001 S Dixie Hwy, Homestead, FL 33033  
Phone: (305) 248-2272

image.maps.yahoo.com/mapimage?MAPData=XsGaX_hyzy0KFYIscNeSIr4_P.xdntD4C_wh9xw5QgMgCb.XOk_7eL4nMxIzqAHAG_caFl1G1wLXrIyKlIOOi8X7XrsDEzTQg14VGcqz_8LmGtte4Uv.v3whRfpj5v0-

+1 on shivers....definatly good food there.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:35:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Mi Amigos:

There's really only 1:

"The Pit" on the Trail waaay west, about 3 miles east of the range.

You can get fancier or more expensive. Can't get better, imho.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:42:38 PM EDT
[#8]
well, technically you may not be able to "buy" better, but my cooking puts em all to shame.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:10:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks AR9mm.  Based on your reply, and distance, I chose Shivers. Walked in, saw the room length laminated pic-i-nick tables, and the wall mounted menus, and knew I was at home Only about 8 miles, and MOST EXCELLENT BBQ I've eaten BBQ all over the country, and I'd rank Shivers in the top 5 I'll definitely go back - IF I stay in Miami long enough!  Thanks again, y'all.

Thanks Nostromo, I'll check that out if I'm still around. Gotta go that way Wed. for various reasons - will stop if my B.O. is bearable

drshame: ditto above.

captaincha0s: I'll keep that in mind, too Do ya have takeout?

Patrad.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:17:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Glad you liked it. Most people don't know its there. I should have mentioned the laminated pic-i-nick tables, and the wall mounted menus, its the sign it Southern and good. LOL.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:55:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I've never been to Shiver's, but from what I've heard from someone who has been to both, The Pit is the best BBQ around. I've been to The Pit, and it's the best BBQ I've ever had.
I saw Uncle Tom's BBQ mentioned, and if it's the one on 8th street, AVOID them at all costs. They are not real BBQ, and are very Cuban-oriented. Also, their "Mile-long hot dogs" are just two regular hot dogs. What a joke. Not saying Cuban is bad, Versailles has the best Cuban food around.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:08:22 AM EDT
[#12]
+1 for Versalles and Shorty's... Have Fun!

M2C,
223SAINT
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:19:54 AM EDT
[#13]
I work next to the Shortys on Bird Road and it has gone down hill. The food is really dry and have need a bottle of sauce in order to eat it. I prefer the Pit or Shivers. I like to go to Shivers after a nice day at Henrys.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:20:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I work next to the Shortys on Bird Road and it has gone down hill. The food is really dry and have need a bottle of sauce in order to eat it. I prefer the Pit or Shivers. I like to go to Shivers after a nice day at Henrys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top