Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/11/2013 11:05:28 AM EST
Has anyone been successful in receiving these letters to prove preban?
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 11:15:45 AM EST
Yes E.A was very helpful.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 11:51:21 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/11/2013 12:10:36 PM EST by cjt1972]
The company that manufactured mine, PWA went out of business. A friend told me that LMT bought the rights to their name or something along those lines, but calls and e-mails to LMT have gone un-answered. Through my own research of the serial number, I determined that it is a pre ban, but I cant get anything "official", so I have to declare it on an affidavit as I purchased it in a face to face sale. I also tried getting info from the ATF, but all they could tell me was that it was made by PWA, but could not verify the date of manufacture.

ETA: This rifle was in a CT legal, pre 4/4/13 configuration, done by the previous owner because of these same issues. After registration I will be bringing back to its former glory.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 12:28:48 PM EST
I have a letter from Olympic Arms inbound. Cost me 38.49 shipped.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 12:39:54 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By inmyshadow:
View Quote

Damn^

Yea E.A. will get you a letter for free.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 1:21:20 PM EST
DPMS website says 6-8 weeks to get info back from them. I emailed them 7/26, still no response.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 1:28:39 PM EST
Originally Posted By cjt1972:
The company that manufactured mine, PWA went out of business. A friend told me that LMT bought the rights to their name or something along those lines, but calls and e-mails to LMT have gone un-answered. Through my own research of the serial number, I determined that it is a pre ban, but I cant get anything "official", so I have to declare it on an affidavit as I purchased it in a face to face sale. I also tried getting info from the ATF, but all they could tell me was that it was made by PWA, but could not verify the date of manufacture.

ETA: This rifle was in a CT legal, pre 4/4/13 configuration, done by the previous owner because of these same issues. After registration I will be bringing back to its former glory.
View Quote
Why are you going through all this? Did you buy it after the newest ban? Maybe I'm confused.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 2:48:13 PM EST
I called LMT yesterday and they said if I emailed the sn they would send a letter with manufacture date. I'll let you now if I get one.
I still don't know what to do even if I get the letter back, I just don't want to get my balls broke when I go shooting and don't have a registration cert.
Are the only advantages of not registering a pre ban is you can sell it in state? I don't plan on selling anything. So stupid we have to go thru this shit!
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 3:13:51 PM EST
1) LMT emailed me free about pre-ban status within a few business days.
2) Armalite, for $30, sent me an actual letter signed by Armalite's president about an Eagle Arms carbine.

Link Posted: 10/11/2013 3:16:49 PM EST
I heard colt was $100 but it would need some confirmation as it has been a while.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 3:41:56 PM EST
View Quote

I have a PB Oly lower also. How did you contact them?
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 3:45:29 PM EST
Originally Posted By BUCC_Guy:
1) LMT emailed me free about pre-ban status within a few business days.
2) Armalite, for $30, sent me an actual letter signed by Armalite's president about an Eagle Arms carbine.

Yup, LMT was very helpful. Shot me an email 3 years back or so stating production date next to the serial number.

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/11/2013 7:10:56 PM EST

I called them. Olympic Arms will also give you a letter for SGW.

Originally Posted By cavgunner:
I have a PB Oly lower also. How did you contact them?
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/12/2013 3:16:03 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/12/2013 3:19:19 AM EST by cjt1972]
Originally Posted By Tyler259:
Why are you going through all this? Did you buy it after the newest ban? Maybe I'm confused.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tyler259:
Originally Posted By cjt1972:

I bought this gun about three years ago in a private sale. The person I bought it from had no paperwork proving it is a pre 1994 rifle. The seller told me he converted it to a CT compliant rifle so he could use it, and not be hassled, by not having the paperwork that in fact, it is a pre-ban. My dilemma has been that as of now, I can't prove that it is a pre 1994 rifle and doesn't need to be registered per the new law.

After seeing the posts above though, a call to LMT may be in order to see if they do have the PWA records and can get me a letter. if I cant get a letter, I believe that after the rifle is registered, under the new law, I can make modification to it and restore it to original condition. Ie, adding a collapsible stock, flash hider, etc...
Link Posted: 10/12/2013 3:53:29 AM EST
Pwa is preban if the serial number is under 35,222 I believe.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 7:24:50 AM EST
I just sent a email to Bushmaster to see if I can get a letter. But im hearing that you cant use mags that hold more than 10 rounds in prebans? Mine is a SBR'ed 7.62x25 that they don't make 10 round mags. So does anyone know if I register it will it be ok the use the 35 round mags? Thanks Mike
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 6:44:28 PM EST
Originally Posted By MGP:
I just sent a email to Bushmaster to see if I can get a letter. But im hearing that you cant use mags that hold more than 10 rounds in prebans? Mine is a SBR'ed 7.62x25 that they don't make 10 round mags. So does anyone know if I register it will it be ok the use the 35 round mags? Thanks Mike
View Quote

And here's the reply I received
(We do not have this information on the guns made before our Company purchased Bushmaster
The records were turned into the ATF and you would have to contact the ATF for this information)

Anyone have any luck going this route? Thanks Mike
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 1:58:35 AM EST
I emailed Remington to get the manufacture date of a preban 1100 shotgun and they responded rather quickly (a few hours). While they didn't give me an exact date, they gave me the year it was manufactured in.

How can I tell how old my Remington firearm is?
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 2:37:15 AM EST

(We do not have this information on the guns made before our Company purchased Bushmaster
The records were turned into the ATF and you would have to contact the ATF for this information)

View All Quotes

Mike - I am assuming you own a preban Bushmaster? I do not understand their response about 'Their' company purchasing Bushmaster.
I ask because I have a preban Sendra that I need a letter for and it looks like Sendra got absorbed into Bushmaster as they closed up shop in like the late 80's.
Thanks - Dean
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 3:03:33 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/16/2013 3:07:07 AM EST by vm1970]
Originally Posted By deanmachine:

Mike - I am assuming you own a preban Bushmaster? I do not understand their response about 'Their' company purchasing Bushmaster.
I ask because I have a preban Sendra that I need a letter for and it looks like Sendra got absorbed into Bushmaster as they closed up shop in like the late 80's.
Thanks - Dean
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By deanmachine:

Thanks - Dean

The Freedom Group (which is owned by Cerebus Capitol a private equity firm) owns Bushmaster(among alot of other firearms companies such a Remington)
I am assuming when Bushmaster sold out to Cerebus Capitol all of there records had to be turned over to the ATF which is why they dont have those records anymore.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 3:09:00 AM EST
But im hearing that you cant use mags that hold more than 10 rounds in prebans?
View Quote

Not sure where that interpretation is coming from?!? I can still use my LCM's in guns I don't register (ie Glocks, ect). Anyone else reading/hearing this?
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 3:12:24 AM EST
busmaster was bought out by the freedom group and all their operations were moved to NY with remington.

I was able to get information from their tech support up until the beginning of July of this year regarding manufacture dates. All of a sudden, within a week, there is no information before serial number L195000 (manufactured in 2000) Not sure if that's when the records were turned over or what. They wouldnt give any more details.

I contacted the ATF tracing center where these records go, and they will only give information to law enforcement and only for a criminal investigation.

Also contacted windham weaponry whose owner sold bushmaster, and no luck there.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 3:21:12 AM EST
Without trying to cause too much of a stir, where does it say you need to prove date of manufacture for your pre-ban?

I don't want to hear that someone at DESPP said so because I've called on several occasions and received different answers on multiple topics.

Where in Section 53-202m (or anywhere else) does it say proof must be provided?

Sec. 11. Section 53-202m of the general statutes is repealed and the following is substituted in lieu thereof (Effective from passage):

Notwithstanding any provision of the general statutes, sections 53-202a to 53-202l, inclusive, as amended by this act, shall not be construed to limit the transfer or require the registration of an assault weapon as defined in subdivision (3) or (4) of subsection (a) of section 53-202a of the general statutes, revision of 1958, revised to January 1, 2013, provided such firearm was legally manufactured prior to September 13, 1994.

My point is; if you didn't go on forums or do internet searches and you registered your AWs w/o registering your pre-ban(s) (that were bought after the first registration deadline), how would the state have a case against you that you didn't prove it was legally manufactured prior to Sept 13, 1994? No where on their website, or included on DPS-414-C, does it mention showing or attaching such proof. If the state never made public DPS-414-C before Jan 1, 2014, how would we be held responsible for not LEGALLY registering our AWs?

I guess what I'm boiling down to is, I'm not going to go out of my way, and spend money, to prove my pre-ban is such. The manufacturer knows it is, I know it is and since it isn't on a DPS-3-C and I wont be registering it, the state won't even know I have it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 4:00:33 AM EST
I was talking to my FFl this morning and he was telling me that since the new ban went into effect, that PRE BANS can now be legally bought and owned in CT including AK47s, as long as they are pre 94... is this true? Is this why you are all gathering this info?

thanks
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 4:04:04 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/16/2013 4:14:08 AM EST by sbhaven]
Originally Posted By User55645:
Without trying to cause too much of a stir, where does it say you need to prove date of manufacture for your pre-ban?

I don't want to hear that someone at DESPP said so because I've called on several occasions and received different answers on multiple topics.
View All Quotes

This has been the subject of a four page discussed elsewhere here. There are reports (like this one) that FFL's are now requiring the buyer to provide a letter from the manufacturer attesting to the date of manufacturer of a preban before it can be sold. As mentioned in the other thread, while there is NO language in the law mandating this, DESPP and FFL's are mandating it. There have been reports of a letter being sent to some FFL's from SLFU to this effect as well.

Here is the text of the CCDL Facebook post that one Chris Lemos posted:
Dear Sir.

Sec. 53-202m allows the unregulated transfer of assault rifles so long as the owner can prove the weapon was manufactured prior to September, 19, 1994

Det. Kenneth Damato #615 SLFU

Others, like me, are getting the preban manufacture date because we don't have any paperwork indicating when the firearm was transferred into our possession since the pre 4/4/13 law didn't mandate such paperwork for long gun face to face sales. Such paperwork from the manufacturer may help if we are ever stopped and questioned as to the legality of our prebans by the state.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 4:12:05 AM EST
Originally Posted By purpony:
I was talking to my FFl this morning and he was telling me that since the new ban went into effect, that PRE BANS can now be legally bought and owned in CT including AK47s, as long as they are pre 94... is this true? Is this why you are all gathering this info?

thanks
View Quote

That's NOT what Section 53-202m indicates. You cannot legally buy a firearm listed on the pre 4/4/13 banned by name list, that includes the "Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type". What is legal are preban AK's not chambered 7.62x39.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 4:21:43 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/16/2013 4:22:26 AM EST by vm1970]
Originally Posted By sbhaven:

This has been the subject of a four page discussed elsewhere here. There are reports (like this one) that FFL's are now requiring the buyer to provide a letter from the manufacturer attesting to the date of manufacturer of a preban before it can be sold. As mentioned in the other thread, while there is NO language in the law mandating this, DESPP and FFL's are mandating it. There have been reports of a letter being sent to some FFL's from SLFU to this effect as well.

Others, like me, are getting the preban manufacture date because we don't have any paperwork indicating when the firearm was transferred into our possession since the pre 4/4/13 law didn't mandate such paperwork for long gun face to face sales. Such paperwork from the manufacturer may help if we are ever stopped and questioned as to the legality of our prebans by the state.
View All Quotes

Dear Sir.

Sec. 53-202m allows the unregulated transfer of assault rifles so long as the owner can prove the weapon was manufactured prior to September, 19, 1994

I recieved this reply from Det Damato

Dear Sir,
Sec. 53-202m of the C.G.S. states that any assault weapon completely constructed prior to September 13, 1994, and restated in Sec. 11 of P.A. 13-220, Sec. 11, is freely transferable (subject to all firearms transfer regulations) and does not require registration at this time.

..so now it has to be fully constructed?
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 4:23:18 AM EST

Where in Section 53-202m (or anywhere else) does it say proof must be provided?

Sec. 11. Section 53-202m of the general statutes is repealed and the following is substituted in lieu thereof (Effective from passage):

Notwithstanding any provision of the general statutes, sections 53-202a to 53-202l, inclusive, as amended by this act, shall not be construed to limit the transfer or require the registration of an assault weapon as defined in subdivision (3) or (4) of subsection (a) of section 53-202a of the general statutes, revision of 1958, revised to January 1, 2013, provided such firearm was legally manufactured prior to September 13, 1994.

My point is; if you didn't go on forums or do internet searches and you registered your AWs w/o registering your pre-ban(s) (that were bought after the first registration deadline), how would the state have a case against you that you didn't prove it was legally manufactured prior to Sept 13, 1994? No where on their website, or included on DPS-414-C, does it mention showing or attaching such proof. If the state never made public DPS-414-C before Jan 1, 2014, how would we be held responsible for not LEGALLY registering our AWs?

I guess what I'm boiling down to is, I'm not going to go out of my way, and spend money, to prove my pre-ban is such. The manufacturer knows it is, I know it is and since it isn't on a DPS-3-C and I wont be registering it, the state won't even know I have it.
View Quote

Don't worry, fair citizen. You will be treated fairly by Malloy and his gang of thugs with the CTSP. They'll take your word for it when you kindly explain that "everyone knows these are preban... I read it on the Internet."
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 5:10:34 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/16/2013 5:29:07 AM EST by MGP]
Sorry dupe

Link Posted: 10/16/2013 5:11:29 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/16/2013 5:12:40 AM EST by MGP]

Pulled from Archives

By Geremy Chubbuck (chubbg@champint.com)
Excel Version

Disclaimer: This list is correct to the best of my knowledge, however, I accept absolutely no responsibility for the accuracy of this information or for the consequences and/or damages occurring from any inaccuracies. I have compiled this list for the purposes of sharing information only. This is not intended to be used in any way except for personal entertainment. It is a compilation of both personal information and information submitted from others from the Internet. ALL SERIAL NUMBERS SHOULD BE VERIFIED FROM THE MANUFACTURER PRIOR TO ANY PURCHASE OR ASSEMBLY. It should be noted that it is a felony to possess a Post-Ban (newly assembled after Sept 13, 1994) assault weapon.

If any information presented here is found to be incorrect or you have additional information to contribute, please contact me via E-Mail (hkusp40@midmaine.com) and I will update and re-issue the list.

Note: All items marked with a single asterisk (*) are taken from http://home1.gte.net/bblakley/ban/index.htm. The year/serial numbers under Colt SP series was forwarded to me by an individual whose return address I no longer have. Double asterisk (**) under Bushmaster, a person on the internet e-mailed me that he had a lower that was shipped stripped (thus not a complete rifle) in 1991 from Bushmaster with serial #0327XX - ALWAYS CALL TO VERIFY.

Advanced Armaments
No information - Apparently machined from bar stock aluminum, lowers are marked as M-15.

American Spirit Arms (Formerly "Sun Valley Traders")
ALL lowers are Post-Ban. Began introduction of lowers and rifles in mid/late 1998. Noted as having good fit & finish. Also, reported to be manufactured by Lewis Machine & Tool.

Armalite/Eagle 800-336-0184
Slightly over S/N 30,000 was the Pre-Ban cut-off, call to verify.* (Some Eagle lowers below the 30,000 range were determined to be POST ban by BATF - call to verify) Armalite sells Eagle lowers, but sells factory complete rifles with Armalite lowers.

Bohica
Made stainless steel lowers, rumored to have also made AR-15 pistols. Lower marked M16-SA. This is NOT verifiable info as it came from the Internet. Out of Business.

Bushmaster 800-998-SWAT
Below L051000 - Assembled Pre-Ban Rifles and some pre-94 lowers.**
L051001-L063000 - Mixed Pre-Ban Assembled Rifles and Pre-Sept 94 Lowers (Call to verify)
L063001 and Up - Post-Ban

Century Arms
Lower marked CIA. All are Post-Ban. Made with Olympic Arms Receivers under contract.

Colt 800-962-COLT
CC001616 and Below - Pre-Ban
CH019500 and Below - Pre-Ban
GC018500 and Below - Pre-Ban
LH011326 and Below - Pre-Ban
MH086020 and Below - Pre-Ban
NL004800 and Below - Pre-Ban
SL027246 and Below - Pre-Ban
SP360200 and Below - Pre-Ban
1963 SP00001-SP00023**
1964 SP00101
1965 SP02501
1966 SP05600
1967 SP08250
1968 SP10750
1969 SP14000-SP14653
1970 SP15001-SP15473
1971 SP16001
1972 SP19401
1973 SP24201
1974 SP32601
1975 SP43801
1976 SP55301
1977 SP67651
1978 SP83400
ST038100 and Below - Pre-Ban
TA10100 and Below - Pre-Ban
BD000134 and Below - Pre-Ban (AR-15A3 Tactical Carbine - very rare model)
MT00001 and Above - Post-Ban
BK000001and Above - Post Ban (CAR-A3)
CST000001 and Above - Post-Ban (Began Late 1997 Production)
CMH000001 and Above - Post Ban
CCH010000 and Above - Post Ban MT6700, MT6700C and MT6700CH series, 1998 production

Dalphon (360) 427-6867
All are POST ban. Cast 356-T6 Aluminum, hardcoat anodized per mil-spec A-8625

DPMS 800-578-3767
Below 10300 - Pre-Ban.
Some or all lowers are cast. Black in color. Some lowers are Stainless Steel.

Eagle Arms 309-944-6939
Now called ArmaLite. They will not give out a list, but will look up on an individual basis. Lower receiver serial numbers DO NOT begin with EA.

Essential Arms
All are Pre-Ban as they went out of business in 1993. (DPMS bought them prior to the Ban) Call DPMS Lower receiver serial numbers begin with EA. Some or all lowers are cast. Light gray coloring. It is rumored that Ruger investment casted the lowers for Essential Arms.

Frankford Arsenal
All are pre-ban. As rumor has it, Olympic Arms produced the lowers for Frankford Arsenal Call Olympic Arms and then Frankford assembled the weapon. A2 configuration lower. Frankford Arsenal went out of business in 1987. (Info from RudolphoS@aol.com)

Hesse Arms
All AR-15?s are post ban. Manufacturing began late 1997/early 1998.

J.L.M & Sons* (603) 425-1860
SC001 thru SC250 are Pre-Ban. All others are post ban.

Knights Armament Co.
All AR-15?s are post ban, very few AR-10?s are pre-ban. No further info at this time.

Military Manufacturing (M2) (FAX 702-263-7875)
All were military/law enforcement only. Full auto lowers were standard, semi were optional. Lowers were machined form raw bar stock with improvements incorporated - 18deg magazine angle and square mag release. (See: http://www.m2corp.com/HOME.htm)

Nesard
See "Sendra" below.

Olympic Arms 360-459-7940

• 4-numbers only - very very old. Probably machined from bar stock.
• 1-letter and 4# - older receiver, but forgings. (Some are newer, POST ban castings - call to verify.)
• 2-letters & 4# - most receivers follow this pattern.
• 2#, 2 letters, 4# - the first two #'s are year of manufacture of the lower.
• 2 letters, 6# (separated 2 & 4 - e.g. SA 96 0000) - first 2 #'s are year of manufacture.
• "ICR" marked lowers are an European customer?s overrun, has an unused additional hole - all ICR lowers are post ban.
Olympic Arms Manufacturer?s Notes:
1. There were some odd variations and some custom serial numbers mixed in thru the years also. And, some receivers manufactured after the ban have the year stamp after the model name, not in the serial #. And if you don't see a year stamp on the receiver, it is not necessarily pre-ban.

2. Serial numbers that end in "D" were duplicates and one was changed using this letter.

3. Recently some serial numbers have left with one or two letters followed by FIVE numbers. The last numbers are either 5's or 0's. 99.9% of these are post-ban.

4. "Older" does not always mean pre-ban as per Corey Sattler.

5. "BL" serial number series lowers are transitional with some pre and some post ban. If you have a "BL" you?ll have to call to verify for certain.

Professional Ordinance
All are post ban (including all of the pistols).

PWA (360) 438-3983
35222 and Below - Pre-Ban (Note:Some lowers are cast not forged. Out of business) Post-ban have a year prefix in the serial number. Rumored to have only sold lowers.

Rocky Mountain Arms
Producer of AR-15 type pistols.

Sendra
Post-ban receivers have a circle milled into the side of the magwell. They were originally bead-blasted to a non-glare finish. All others are pre-ban. (This is unverified info?) Also, they used to be NESARD. Rumored to have been owned by Dick Drasen (currently M&A Parts) and produced lowers only out of Barrington, Illinois. No complete guns were sold (again, unverified info).

Link Posted: 10/16/2013 5:12:38 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/16/2013 5:13:17 AM EST by sbhaven]
Originally Posted By vm1970:

Dear Sir,
Sec. 53-202m of the C.G.S. states that any assault weapon completely constructed prior to September 13, 1994, and restated in Sec. 11 of P.A. 13-220, Sec. 11, is freely transferable (subject to all firearms transfer regulations) and does not require registration at this time.

View Quote

Yep, gotta love how they simply come up with new rules when the law doesn't mandate it. This is almost begging for someone to challenge in court. Prior to 4/4/13 one didn't need to prove date of manufacture (AFAIK), post 4/4/13 SLFU/DESPP says you do even though the law (53-202m) is essentially the same.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 5:19:22 AM EST
I just got off the phone with the DESPP and I bought mine after the 94 ban sun setted and I was told I still have to register. I know when I bought it I had the letter and it was made in 1992 but I cant find that letter. She said if it was registered during the 94 ban then you don't have to register but since I bought it in 2005 I would have to register it. This lower is in a trust and is a SBR so they know I have it anyway.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 5:21:49 AM EST
Another case of Interpretation.............................does this sound familiar?
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 5:28:16 AM EST
Originally Posted By Juntau:
Another case of Interpretation.............................does this sound familiar?
View Quote

These FUCKERS need to stop making shit up.

So now... who is gonna be the first test case with this pre-ban thing. Fuck this state.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 5:51:11 AM EST
I just got off the phone with the DESPP and I bought mine after the 94 ban sun setted and I was told I still have to register. I know when I bought it I had the letter and it was made in 1992 but I cant find that letter. She said if it was registered during the 94 ban then you don't have to register but since I bought it in 2005 I would have to register it. This lower is in a trust and is a SBR so they know I have it anyway.
View Quote

My circumstances are the same.
I have a pre 1994 AR lowers that is registered to my trust as an SBR. They know I have it.
But I do have an e-mail from the manufacturer stating that it was made before 9/1994. So I dont know what I am going to do.

Link Posted: 10/16/2013 6:07:46 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/16/2013 6:08:06 AM EST by JCM22]
the "certified letters" are only a requirement (even though not law) of transfers through an FFL....
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 6:23:39 AM EST
Originally Posted By JCM22:
the "certified letters" are only a requirement (even though not law) of transfers through an FFL....
View Quote

oh its certified letters now?
So my e-mail from the company would not even suffice now.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 6:34:45 AM EST
View Quote

Certified letters according to who? The FFL, if so which one? Or from SFLU/DESPP, and if so who told you that?

Who certifies the letter? You or the manufacturer?
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 6:37:30 AM EST
I certify this is all bullshit!
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 6:55:28 AM EST
I understand an FFL asking for it because its his ass.

Where does the DEPPS or SFLU get their info saying they need a letter confirming the date (besides their own mouths)? It's already known that these are AW so putting a letter on file with them is another way to show possession. The law clearly states I do not need to register it so I am opting to not send anything.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 7:09:10 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/16/2013 7:10:23 AM EST by sbhaven]
Where does the DEPPS or SFLU get their info saying they need a letter confirming the date (besides their own mouths)?
View Quote

They are probably going to point at 53-202m and say that since that section states the firearm had to be manufactured prior to September 13,1994, one should now prove it since so many additional firearms are now banned from being sold/transferred. In other words, its on the buyer to prove the firearm they want to buy is legal to transfer from the FFL to the buyer.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 7:36:53 AM EST

Dear Sir,

View All Quotes

Dear Sir.

Dear Sir,

Really?
Please take a look at this thread:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_26/541101_CCDL__Presentation_on_the_New_Gun_Laws.html

I would ask how it would be possible to prove they were "fully constructed"...what does that mean? What is the definition? What does the firearm include? Lights? Scopes? etc, etc. Most pre-bans were not catalog items that you can go refer back to..there were hundreds of thousands of lower receivers made and sold up to 1993...also, parts break and are replaced with latest available replacement parts....barrels are shot out, etc. That is one of the most key features of the AR...the modularity and ease of repacing worn/damaged or out dated parts, for safety and reliability. That is the reason why the umpteen threads on this issue and previous determinations for many years from DPS represetatives always resorted to the lower receiver...again, for this to change now would risk the ex post facto problem on all pre bans bought up to this year.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 8:09:50 AM EST
Colt 6520 AR-15 A2 GOV'T CARBINE that was manufactured before the 09-13-1994. Banned or GTG?
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 9:54:38 AM EST

Certified letters according to who? The FFL, if so which one? Or from SFLU/DESPP, and if so who told you that?

View All Quotes

"certified letter of build date" was the wording from the email that went out to (some) FFLs.

it stated that emails from the manufacture are not sufficient.

I have found that a signed letter from the manufacturer on their letterhead with model, s/n, and date of manufacture is sufficient.

Link Posted: 10/16/2013 10:09:15 AM EST
Fax signed by company president ?
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 10:38:16 AM EST
I got my letter from OA yesterday. I'm not happy. OA stated it was made from 1 Feb through 27 Aug 1994. But because of a fire they aren't 100% sure.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 10:47:53 AM EST
I got my letter from OA yesterday. I'm not happy. OA stated it was made from 1 Feb through 27 Aug 1994. But because of a fire they aren't 100% sure.
View Quote

Which should be fine since the cutoff per 53-202m was September 13, 1994.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 2:00:38 PM EST
View Quote

Olympic Arms serial number ranges and the loss of records due to the fire has been posted on their website for years.

http://olyarms.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=26
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 3:08:42 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/16/2013 3:09:17 PM EST by sbhaven]
Originally Posted By JohnnyA:

Olympic Arms serial number ranges and the loss of records due to the fire has been posted on their website for years.

View All Quotes

Some have reported that SFLU and FFL's want a letter from the manufacture, not some web page print out, that indicates the date of manufacture.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 3:28:34 PM EST

Some have reported that SFLU and FFL's want a letter from the manufacture, not some web page print out, that indicates the date of manufacture.
View All Quotes

My point wasn't concerning the SFLU. It was expecting something different in a letter than what's already posted on the Oly website.
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 9:43:11 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/16/2013 9:43:35 PM EST by inmyshadow]
I'm more then aware of the fire at Olympic Arms. When I called, they seemed more sure of themselves. The let isn't the slam dunk I though it would be.

Here is an image of what I got back from Olympic Arms, serial number removed.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top