Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2006 9:15:02 AM EDT
Haven't been out there in years, anyone have an updated range report?  I seem to recall it was pretty nice, but they gave you the hairy eyeball if you shoot faster than real slow.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:45:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I was last there in late summer 2004, and it was as you describe; slow fire only. I didn't care for it as they also had way too frequent shooting breaks and wouldn't let you change ranges if you had paid for an hour only (had to buy the day pass to get that). The real show stopper for me was when they told me my 11 year old son was not allowed to shoot. I haven't been back since.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:00:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually the state of Wis passed a law a few years ago that said no one under 12 can shoot a rifle and no one under 18 can shoot a handgun....even if you are with a parent!!!!  While a total BS law, I'm surprised more ranges haven't begun enforcing it.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:04:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Actually the state of Wis passed a law a few years ago that said no one under 12 can shoot a rifle and no one under 18 can shoot a handgun....even if you are with a parent!!!!  While a total BS law, I'm surprised more ranges haven't begun enforcing it.  

when? is this more doyle bullshit?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:52:36 AM EDT
[#4]
From the DNR warden that I talked to, it was tacked onto a budget bill about 4 years ago so no one really noticed it.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:22:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

They're not enforcing it because there is no such law.  Read the actual law for yourself in the legal FAQ at the top of the forum, under "firearms and minors".  I even provide a link to the actual state law, so it's not just internet rumor-mongering.  

EDITED TO ADD, THERE'S KIND OF A LAW LIKE THAT--READ POSTS FURTHER DOWN
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:20:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They're not enforcing it because there is no such law.  Read the actual law for yourself in the legal FAQ at the top of the forum, under "firearms and minors".  I even provide a link to the actual state law, so it's not just internet rumor-mongering.  

This is interesting. I sat and listened to Scott Gunderson say at the end of Feb. that you can't legaly hand a gun to an 11 year old even to shoot at a range. He flat out said it's illegal in wisconsin. It was while answering questions about the bill to lower the hunting age to like nine years old.

So somewhere something ain't adding up.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:41:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is interesting. I sat and listened to Scott Gunderson say at the end of Feb. that you can't legaly hand a gun to an 11 year old even to shoot at a range. He flat out said it's illegal in wisconsin. It was while answering questions about the bill to lower the hunting age to like nine years old.

So somewhere something ain't adding up.

So Did Fendry
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:47:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's all spelled out in the legal FAQ   To save everyone some clicking:

Possession of a dangerous weapon by anyone under 18 is a class A misdemeanor. Giving/loaning/selling a dangerous weapon to someone under 18 is a class I felony. Statute 948.60. Defenses to prosecution under this statute:
* Target practice under the supervision of an adult
* Members of armed forces under 18 in the line of duty
* Hunting as described in 29.304

For hunting purposes, the following exceptions to the age limit apply, as specified in statute 29.304 for weapons with barrels 12" or longer.
* under 12 may not hunt with a firearm or bow under any circumstances
* under 12 can only possess firearm/bow in Hunter Safety class, or while cased/unloaded and under parental supervision while going to/from Hunter Safety class
* 12-13 may hunt when accompanied by an adult
* 12-13 may possess firearm when accompanied by an adult, or while transporting cased/unloaded firearm to/from Hunter Safety class, or in Hunter Safety class
* 14-15 is the same as 12-13, except Hunter Safety graduates can hunt and possess firearms without adult supervision.

Hope that clarifies things.  If all else fails, read the actual statute  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:01:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I sat and listened to Scott Gunderson say at the end of Feb. that you can't legaly hand a gun to an 11 year old even to shoot at a range.

Let me clarify my response a little more--let me give the "final answer" here.

Statute 948.60 specifically permits a minor to shoot under the supervision of an adult.  No age limit.  However, statute 29.304(1)(b) states, "No person under 12 years of age may have in his or her possession or control any firearm unless he or she is enrolled in the course of instruction under the hunter education program and he or she is carrying the firearm in a case and unloaded to or from that class under the supervision of a parent or guardian or is handling or operating the firearm during that class under the supervision of an instructor."

29.304 goes on to state that once they're 12, they can handle firearms under the supervision of a parent or guardian.  There is no handgun limitation at the range under the supervision of a parent/guardian, but they can't hunt with a handgun until they're 18.

So the original poster's comment was incorrect, but my reply was simplistic.  I re-visited this because I didn't want to mislead anyone, so I apologize if I did.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:15:00 PM EDT
[#10]
jeesh what state have i moved too. I was planning on teaching my nephew gun handling in a couple years. "8 now" Was planning on starting with an airgun, then moving to a .22 rifle. This is crap I can totally understand handling alone.

First the californians steal our cheese, what are they giving us their gun laws in return???
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:42:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I guess I'm still confused.     Can I take someone under 12 to the range to shoot, even  if not in a hunter's saftey class?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:10:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Under 948.60, yes.  Under 29.304(1)(b), no.  

Personally, I don't want to see 9-year-olds with hunting licenses.  But not allowing them to shoot while being supervised at a range is stupid.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:07:10 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Under 948.60, yes.  Under 29.304(1)(b), no.  

Personally, I don't want to see 9-year-olds with hunting licenses.  But not allowing them to shoot while being supervised at a range is stupid.

So, we have yet another set of conflicting/confusing laws pertaining to firearms in the state of WI.

Why am I not surprised. *sigh*
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:20:36 AM EDT
[#14]
So if your child is 12-18 he can shoot a handgun legally with a parent/adult supervision????that's not what the DNR says and what they said they will be enforcing.  
No child under 12 can shoot a long gun or handgun unless they are in a hunter's safety course....the law is very clear on that....not just an internet rumour.  From the wardens that I talked to at the Sports Show and the Deer and Turkey Expo, the Wisconsin DNR will be enforcing that law (29.304(1)(b)).  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:25:41 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
So if your child is 12-18 he can shoot a handgun legally with a parent/adult supervision????that's not what the DNR says and what they said they will be enforcing.  

They can't enforce it if it isn't against the law.  What law is a 15-year-old breaking if he's shooting a handgun with his parents at the range?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:21:56 AM EDT
[#16]
When will we get pro-gun leaders that actually know what the whole law says, instead of trying to utilize selected parts to discourage legal activity and promote the next encroachment by our legislators?

I myself fell for the Gunderson/Fendry/DNR "no one under 12, or it's a felony" line.  I should have known better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top