Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/5/2014 1:40:54 PM EDT
Please do not pull into the gore point and try to get a photo. Unless you can do it from a safe location, I do not need a photo that badly. Thank you for your efforts, but I don't want anyone to get hurt for this - just trying to do a favor for the AZCDL.

Here is the info for the billboard photo I need - but I need it to be as high-res as possible, so taking a photo with a real camera (not a cell phone) would be preferred. It is a digital billboard, and I need a photo of it with the AZCDL advertisement on it.

First one to get me a good photo gets an Independence Training 'Give Peace a Chance' decal with the firearm of your choice (1911, Glock, AR-15, AK-47, shotgun, precision rifle).

Link Posted: 6/5/2014 1:52:55 PM EDT
[#1]
So your going to give me a sticker and a gun of my choice if I get the picture?

Link Posted: 6/5/2014 6:24:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Hell Yeah!!!! That's how I read it as well. Time for a drive.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 6:44:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whatever it takes to motivate you, I guess.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 4:55:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyone? Surely someone has to be going over that way this weekend.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 7:55:08 PM EDT
[#5]
South of McDowell  just off 27 Av.  would be easy.  I'll give it a crack if you would send it to a out of state address.
Another arfcommer that watches our forum closely but never posts. She loves that AZ htf stuff and being from a small eastern state would like one.
Dawn or dusk would give the best  contrast too. Question just the sign or how much skyline or surrounding urban structures should be included?  

Link Posted: 6/6/2014 8:34:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
South of McDowell  just off 27 Av.  would be easy.  I'll give it a crack if you would send it to a out of state address.
Another arfcommer that watches our forum closely but never posts. She loves that AZ htf stuff and being from a small eastern state would like one.
Dawn or dusk would give the best  contrast too. Question just the sign or how much skyline or surrounding urban structures should be included?  

View Quote

I'll send it wherever you want. and mostly just the sign, but if there's skyline or whatever it can all be edited out. Just need the sign hi-res.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 8:42:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'll send it wherever you want. and mostly just the sign, but if there's skyline or whatever it can all be edited out. Just need the sign hi-res.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No problem, the sign it is. Im the Email  address and I will send as large a file as I can. I will chop it down.

Link Posted: 6/7/2014 12:21:17 PM EDT
[#8]
What do you think of the angle and the size of the sign.  I could move it a lot closer. Added a bit of contrast on the  Miller one.
Now for the problem. These signs run like radio adds. You buy advertising at certain times. Watched for 15 min and no joy.
I bet it runs during the week when working people can see it. Not the weekends. We are talking about the CDL driving school right. That add.
Largely black and white. A lot of work for a sticker. But for a HTF member. I will try again, just need a time it's running. Photobucket dubbed these down a bit.
The parent file when I get it will be much larger sent by e mail. Could be blown up quite a bit without falling apart.

Link Posted: 6/7/2014 12:49:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Azcdl- az citizens defense league.     Google it and join if you havent.  Best money you will ever spend. Largely responsible for all of our pro gun legislation and freedoms we gained in the last decade.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 1:01:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Azcdl- az citizens defense league.     Google it and join if you havent.  Best money you will ever spend. Largely responsible for all of our pro gun legislation and freedoms we gained in the last decade.
View Quote

Yes, this - not the CDL driving school. If it's a pain, don't worry about it. I thought it was just up all the time.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 1:38:06 PM EDT
[#11]
OK I will get the add picture so I know what I am looking for.  If anyone can find out when it runs I will get it for you.

That's a much better cause than a business. I pulled the one in to let you know what it would look like.

Better? For this kind of cause the time clock is off. I just need a window of when to stake it out.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 3:05:35 PM EDT
[#12]
That looks great! Let me see if I can get you a time window.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 3:16:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Feel free to forward that picture . A decent photo shop person could get it done as a last resort.

But I would prefer a "natural" picture myself.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 5:03:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That looks great! Let me see if I can get you a time window.
View Quote

I drive by there all the time.  I believe it just scrolls through 5-6 different ads every few minutes it changes.  So I don't if you would get a set time window.  I believe if you sit for 10-15 minutes you will get the one you need.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 5:10:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I drove by it 3 times today. Its a tough spot. The pull off lane on the left is too small, and there's nothing on the right.
It changes every 5 seconds or so. Soo whomever gets a pic, make sure your careful!
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 5:27:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I used the 27 Av on ramp and went to the base of the gore point and acted broken down.
Spent 10 min + and nothing local appeared. Cent Link, Lite beer, that Sheriff and one other.
Different adds for the same four. This evening or Monday morning may yield a completely different lineup.

Advertising during prime time is different than advertising in the off hours. I may break down this evening again and see if by pure luck I can get it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 6:25:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Be careful
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 6:39:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Hold on guys, if this is dangerous, forget about it. I don't need a picture that badly.

Update in OP
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 7:30:44 PM EDT
[#19]
That's effed up. My picture was better than the one in their advertisement. I hear you though. I would not recommend anything I posted.

Rizzo is right. Admittedly the best place to see a freeway sign is from? The freeway. This may not be the best place to take a picture.

I will find a spot on the far side and use the 70x300 lens and try again. Should make it look like you were right next to it. But I would still like to have a window.

If that's possible.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 9:38:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I made an attempt at 7:00pm, at the 27th Av on-ramp as Mauser stated.  Sat for 10 mins and it cycled through 5 ads, but did not see the CDL ad.  They may only run it during weekday peak time??
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 10:43:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I made an attempt at 7:00pm, at the 27th Av on-ramp as Mauser stated.  Sat for 10 mins and it cycled through 5 ads, but did not see the CDL ad.  They may only run it during weekday peak time??
View Quote

And you lived to tell the tale. Nice job. You have some serious lurker cred with that post count.
My hat is off to you for putting forth the effort. When you have been there. It's not as bad as others would think.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 5:12:04 AM EDT
[#22]
After thinking it over. The west side pedestrian walkway on the 27av overpass. Taking the picture through the fence would work well.

I have taken many through a fence that no one knew was there. Add to that it is going to be cropped so any hints that a fence was there would be removed at that time.

Would that work for you Rizzo?
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 6:55:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Why not call and ask when the ad is scheduled to run?  It'd save you a lot of time.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 8:10:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Why not call and ask when the ad is scheduled to run?  It'd save you a lot of time.
View Quote

I'm trying to get that info. Thanks to everyone who is trying - this photo will likely be used for an AZCDL advertisement, so it's all for a good cause. Just be safe, don't take any unnecessary risks.

ETA: Just got an email saying it's supposed to be rotating 24/7. It may be possible that it only runs on the other side of the billboard, as that's the side that it shows in the ad.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 9:26:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
And you lived to tell the tale. Nice job. You have some serious lurker cred with that post count.
My hat is off to you for putting forth the effort. When you have been there. It's not as bad as others would think.
View Quote

Traffic was mild at that time figured I'd give it a try, I can see it getting bad during peak times.  I definitely read more than posting.

Rizz has a point, the ad does state West facing.  We're probably targeting the wrong side.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 10:04:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Traffic was mild at that time figured I'd give it a try, I can see it getting bad during peak times.  I definitely read more than posting.

Rizz has a point, the ad does state West facing.  We're probably targeting the wrong side.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The west facing side was off yesterday morning dropped down the 27th Av ramp and got off at 35av. Came back east and that side was dark.
I'll check it out here in a few from the 35av overpass. Then grab some marinated skirt steak to try the Alton Brown fajitas.

Sorry wrong thread.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 1:53:19 PM EDT
[#27]
This being a old neighborhood it has a half mile overpass. 31Av and Morland is where I parked. Walk out on the side walk.

Threw on a longer range lens, I think the evening would give the best picture. But this was near mid day.  Ready for the unveiling?

Yep it's still down. Until some west valley commuter tells me it's up. I am on standby. They should ask for a rebate on what they paid for that sign.

That's about what I can deliver from that vantage point. With selected settings it will look better but I wasn't going to do it for a blank sign. Heat waves are evident.

I am fully behind the cause and willing to help. But I really could use some subject matter here. This has been kind of fun though.

Link Posted: 6/8/2014 1:53:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I think everyone is looking at the wrong side. This billboard is supposed to be a non-stop AZCDL ad 24/7.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 1:58:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yes, I think everyone is looking at the wrong side. This billboard is supposed to be a non-stop AZCDL ad 24/7.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Must have missed that statement in the OP. I have it now. please see above post.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 5:18:24 AM EDT
[#30]
I have a errand to run in south Phoenix. Anyone see if the sign is up and running. Will be heading out about 8:30 or so.
I'll toss in the camera.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 11:18:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Third time was a charm. #1 I didn't darken it too much.
#2 left the poles in and darkened it a bit.
#3 left the whole poles in and darkened a bit too. The stupid sign likes to border the black with a thin line of red.
I can send them un chopped or as I have cropped them. Then a Photoshop person can retouch as you see fit.
Shot at 24mp with a 70x300 set at about 280 or so. If you need them better I will work on my settings. Hope these work for you.

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 11:31:08 AM EDT
[#32]
I personally like it uncropped in its natural urban background. Still gets the message out.
I might just take a little off the top.

Link Posted: 6/10/2014 11:48:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Nice work Mauser!
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 1:00:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Good work Mauser!
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 1:37:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks, there is something I want to point out. When it changes the sign starts out kind of blue. then as it warms up it get a brighter white.
Then when it's going to change it starts to go to the blue tint again. So there is really a narrow sweet spot for the white.
Now in the blinding light around here just looking at it. It's always white. The camera brought out that blue background. But it can see much better than I can.
Photobucket dumbs them down too. All files should be around 6mb or so. Out of 15 I have 4 or 5 usable. That could be edited a bunch of ways.

Any ideas before I crush rizzo's mail box. I wish he found the shift key when he signed up.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 1:49:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Mauser, those photos are awesome! Thank you very much.

Send 'em on over to my email. And include the address where you want the decal sent - I'll happily send one to you and one to your friend for your efforts. Do you want the decals to feature a 1911, Glock, shotgun, AR-15, AK-47, or precision rifle?
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 4:16:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Sent them by two different e mails by mistake. Did you get both?

I is tarded.....

Edit for 1911 for her and AR15 for me if that's not too much trouble.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 4:21:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Sent them by two diffrent e mails by mistake. Did you get both?

I is tarded.....
View Quote

I got both sets of pictures, thanks again!
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 4:35:43 PM EDT
[#39]
...... Anything like this comes up again don't be afraid to call.

If I can I will.

Too dangerous you really should change the thread title back. Sun sets at 7 something tonight.
I wonder what that would look like at sunset. HMmmmmm
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:12:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Ignore me, I'm just playing with myself.

Looks far different at night.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 9:10:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Get out of the hood...you're way past curfew!  
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 9:00:25 AM EDT
[#42]
No crap. It was interesting though. Black during the day and Red at night. Now I know where that red border comes from in the day.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 7:15:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Way to go Mauser!!!!

Link Posted: 6/11/2014 7:25:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Way to go Mauser!!!!

View Quote

Thanks, and I forgot to tell Rizzo your welcome.

I'm glad I could help.

Not to drag this on any farther. If I could have figured out my settings better. The sign would have been sharper.
Plus I could have moved in closer. This is the one that got away. You win some and lose some. I just wanted to see if I could do it.
Picture fail but you get the idea.

Better but the wrong effing sign.

OK now I will shut up.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 1:08:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'm glad I could help.

Not to drag this on any farther. If I could have figured out my settings better. The sign would have been sharper.
Plus I could have moved in closer. This is the one that got away. You win some and lose some. I just wanted to see if I could do it.
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j480/Mauserone/DSC_0909_zps0b6833e2.jpg

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j480/Mauserone/DSC_0907_zpsa3f1303d.jpg

OK now I will shut up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Way to go Mauser!!!!

I'm glad I could help.

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j480/Mauserone/DSC_0909_zps0b6833e2.jpg

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/j480/Mauserone/DSC_0907_zpsa3f1303d.jpg

OK now I will shut up.

Do you have the RAW image of the first one that "got away"?  Or heck the full sized jpg, I posses a certain set of skills.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 6:13:14 PM EDT
[#46]
I saw that AZCDL posted your images on Facebook this morning
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 6:38:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I saw that AZCDL posted your images on Facebook this morning
View Quote

I don't do facebook. But thanks for telling me that. It made me smile. Glad I could help.

Link Posted: 6/13/2014 7:12:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 5:20:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Hey they used one of the night time pictures as well.

Makes me glad I went. I don't get a lot of chances to do night stuff.  It was more of a afterthought.

Kind of wish I had taken more. I thought it looked a lot more striking.

Thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 6:59:14 AM EDT
[#50]
I wish my pictures looked half as good as your "bad" images
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top