Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2006 7:08:46 AM EDT
A bunch of wayward kids..................... It was reported last night that one of the 3 arrested was a fireman in Cherokee County.

Three dead, four wounded in Sunday night massacre

By: Stephen Gurr

A triple murder that left four other victims clinging to life in area hospitals may have stemmed from a simmering grudge over a soured drug deal, Forsyth County authorities said in the aftermath of one of the more violent episodes in the county’s history.

The carnage unfolded shortly after 10 p.m. Sunday at a small two-story wood frame house off Ronald Reagan Boulevard near Brandon Road. Found dead from gunshot wounds to the head were Kyle Elliott Jones, 17, and William Osment, 15, both of Suwanee, and 56-year-old Lynn Bartlett of Cumming. Three survivors had gunshot wounds to the head and another victim was being treated for stab wounds, officials said.

Sheriff Ted Paxton said all three men responsible for the home invasion murders were in custody by early Monday. Jason Samuel McGhee, 26, Frank A. Ortegon, 25, and Marcin Waldemar Sosniak, 21, all of Cumming, are in the Forsyth County Jail, each charged with three counts of murder and four counts of aggravated assault. They had been identified by eyewitnesses at the scene, Paxton said.

“It took somebody who had a very cold heart to do this,” Paxton said in a Monday afternoon news conference.

The sheriff said 18-year-old Mariel Elizabeth Hannah remained in critical condition at Grady Memorial Hospital late Monday with a gunshot wound to the head. John Hatcher, 19, was also in critical condition at North Fulton Medical Center. Clifford Bartlett, the 17-year-old son of murder victim Lynn Bartlett, was in critical condition at Grady Memorial Hospital with multiple stab wounds. Matt Brown, 19, was in stable condition at North Fulton Medical Center.

The house had become a haven of sorts for wayward teens in recent months, and at least 10 people were inside at the time of the killings, Paxton said. The sheriff said the youngest victim, 15-year-old William Osment, had recently run away from home. Osment was a sophomore at South Forsyth High School.

“It was pretty well known within this group of friends that this was a house you could go to if you had no other place to go,” Paxton said. “You could crash there.”

He said authorities found no evidence of drug use at the house and that there was “nothing to suggest a major drug operation there.”

Nevertheless, the trio of suspects were apparently looking to buy cocaine from someone at the house when they knocked on the door at about 9:40 p.m., Paxton said.

Lt. Col. Gene Moss said one of the suspects recognized a person inside with whom he had previously had a disagreement over a drug deal. Investigators are looking into the possibility that a fist fight may have broken out. Paxton said the men were told there were no drugs at the house, and they left, only to return in a red Ford F-150 pickup truck about 15 minutes later.

One person inside the house was leaving, and as he opened the door, was stabbed, Paxton said.

Two of the three suspects then “just rushed the house and started assaulting people” with a knife and an automatic handgun, Paxton said. At least 16 shots were fired, he said. As of Monday authorities had not recovered a weapon.

Some six 911 calls made from inside the house vividly depict the horrific scene.

“Please help me, I’m covered in blood,” pleaded one stabbing victim. “I’m scared ... please.”

The hysterical screaming of two women can be heard on another 911 call.

“Someone got shot,” a caller who identifies herself as 18-year-old Mariel Hannah tells the operator. Later she says, “he’s been stabbed.”

When asked by the operator if the assailants are still in the house, Hannah replies, “I don’t know — I think they left ... I was upstairs and I just heard it.”

Her call is interrupted by long seconds of sustained screaming, then the call goes dead. Paxton said Hannah was shot in the head.

The sheriff described the murder scene as “a mess. It was just a bloodbath inside the house. There was a trail of blood leading up the stairs. It was obvious that (the murder victims) all ran into the back bedroom upstairs, and then they were cornered.”

Two people escaped injury by hiding in separate bedroom closets. One of the survivors told a 911 operator through tears he was scared to come out.

“I don’t want to open the door,” he said. “I’m not sure who got shot but I just heard all the screaming.”

The owner of the house — Jackson, Miss., attorney Laina Woodard — said in a phone interview Monday that she had been helping relatives out by allowing a teen to live there rent-free.

“My father’s girlfriend’s grandson was supposed to be staying there,” Woodard said. “There was only supposed to be one or two people living there. I really didn’t know anything about them. Today was the first time I heard any allegations of drug use.”

Ann Sorrow, who lives about 1,000 feet away from the house and heard the gunshots Sunday, said twins Matthew and Chad Brown lived at the house. Matt Brown was among those stabbed. Sorrow said her uncle Frank Woodard’s girlfriend had taken in the teens after their mother died last summer.

Sorrow said the house had been the scene of raucous all-night parties and loud yelling and cursing near the end of the summer, but that things had quieted down in recent months.

Sorrow said her 16-year-old son heard murmurs at school that there was frequent drug use at the house.

“There was a lot of people in and out,” Sorrow said.

Paxton said Monday that he didn’t think Chad Brown was at home when the attack occurred, but added that investigators were still piecing the chaotic scene together.

District Attorney Penny Penn visited the crime scene early Monday. Penn said she felt convinced drugs played a part in the extent of violence dealt out.

“It’s got to be that kind of crime that’s fueled by drugs, if you’re going to go into a house and just go on a rampage,” Penn said.

Asked if she was weighing whether to seek the death penalty in the case, Penn said, “certainly with the number of dead, there’s going to be consideration given to that.”

The three suspects are due to make their initial appearance before a magistrate court judge on Wednesday. It was not immediately known if they had hired attorneys.

Outside the house ringed by television news trucks and sheriff’s vehicles Monday morning, a distraught teen-age girl searched for answers.

Kelli Webb and her boyfriend Daniel Waters came to the house to try to find out what happened to their friend Kyle Jones, who hadn’t shown up for classes at Forsyth Academy that morning. Later she would learn that Jones was among those killed.

“I just don’t understand,” said Webb, who had been to the home of her friends “Matt and Chad” often. When she first learned of the shootings earlier that morning, “I thought they were lying,” she said. “I didn’t know what they were talking about.”

The home’s owner, Laina, said she had recently been in negotiations to sell the property for a commercial development.

“It’s not like someone’s going to live in the house now,” she said. “It’s just really a tragedy.”

Dead:
Kyle Elliott Jones, 17
William Osment, 15
Lynn Bartlett, 56

Wounded:
Mariel Elizabeth Hannah, 18
John Hatcher, 19
Clifford Bartlett, 17
Matt Brown, 19

Three survivors had gunshot wounds to the head and another victim was being treated for stab wounds, officials said.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:23:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn...

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:17:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I read an article that did not have near the details as this one.  

Sad....
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:28:43 AM EDT
[#3]

From the AJC, you have to register to read:

3 dead, 4 hurt in Forsyth rampage

By MARCIA LANGHENRY , DOUG NURSE
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 03/21/06

The three young men came to the small gray farmhouse in Cumming hoping to buy drugs. They drove away empty-handed, police said, but came back 30 minutes later.

One stayed outside. Two got out and walked through the dark, past the blooming pear trees and bags of trash.

Frank A Ortegon Jr.

Marcin Waldemar Sosniak

Jason Samuel McGhee

Ten people reportedly were in this house near Cumming when three men entered and began shooting and stabbing them.

Clifford Bartlett met them at the door. One of the men stabbed the 17-year-old.

Then the killing started.

A neighbor told TV reporters Monday that she heard yelling and what sounded like 30 shots. She imagined an automatic weapon, the shots came so fast.

Someone inside called 911 during the rampage, just after 10 p.m.

The dispatcher lost contact with the caller but heard the gunfire as the men worked their way through the first floor and onto the second, shooting and stabbing everyone they saw, police said.

On the landing they shot Kyle Jones, 17, in the head.

At the top of the stairs, they shot Clifford's mother, Lynn Bartlett, in the head.

One man downstairs ran out a side door to safety while being shot at. Two men on the second floor hid in closets in separate bedrooms and escaped injury.

The killers found everybody else in a back bedroom and shot them execution-style or stabbed them, police said.

Among the dead was William Osment, 15, who ran away from home last Thursday and had just talked to his parents on the phone Sunday.

Forsyth County Sheriff Ted Paxton said Osment's parents had hoped the South Forsyth High School student would be coming back home Monday.

Survivors described the killers and the red truck they left in after the slayings, which are especially noteworthy in Forsyth County, where homicide is so rare there wasn't one in 2005.

Three people were dead, four others were injured, including one in critical condition.

Of the 10 people who were inside the dilapidated house when the killing began, just three managed to escape unharmed. The survivors' descriptions led authorities to two suspects.

Jason Samuel McGhee, 26, and Marcin Waldemar Sosniak, 21, were arrested at their homes outside of Cumming.

At the scene before daylight, Paxton called the men "very dangerous."

"It was a very eye-opening experience," the sheriff said. "For this degree of violence or carnage, someone would have to be very coldhearted to carry this out."

A third suspect, Frank A. Ortegon Jr., 23, who lives east of Cumming, turned himself in Monday, saying he was at the house during the shooting but "didn't pull the trigger."

All three are in the Forsyth County Jail, held without bond, each charged with three counts of aggravated assault murder.

Sheriff's Capt. Mark Hoffman called it a "flophouse," a place where people who didn't have a place to go could stay a few days.

The address is 510 Access Road, accessible by a winding dirt and gravel drive from Access Road, which parallels Ga. 400 off Exit 13 south of Cumming. But it also fronts Ronald Reagan Boulevard, which was lined with sheriff's crime scene units and television trucks Monday morning. Paxton said his department's narcotics unit had been to the house in the past.

Word of the triple homicide traveled quickly through the county.

At the jail, calls were coming in from people wondering if some of their relatives might have been involved.

Mid-morning a young man arrived, worried about a friend who lived in the house. He knocked on the door of the sheriff's Special Operations truck. A deputy told him his friend was at Grady. He declined to give his name, but said "this is like my second home here."

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top