Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
12/6/2019 7:27:02 PM
Posted: 2/28/2007 3:19:14 AM EST
A recap of the hearings:

A real quick and dirty update... please excuse any typos.

The hearings yesterday went GREAT! Well over 200 gunnies attended and more than 130 signed up to testify. The media was there in force (at least 3 stations .... at least 5 sets of camera crews and one audio-only guy) ... and from the way they acted and the little coverage I've seen since it was some of the friendliest coverage of gunnies we've had in a long time.

Sen. Frosh chairs the committee and in past years he's called in lots more security when the gun bills are being heard. He didn't do that this time. There was just one MSP trooper there who was smiling and very friendly to our cause.

Frosh often just turns the meeting over to the vice-chair and goes home when the gun bills come up. He did leave, but came back several times.

The balance of the committee is tough. We count 6 as pro-gun and every one of the other 5 were cosponsors of the AWB bill!!! ...so you wonder what is the point of testifying ... their minds are already all made up.

I didn't stay to the very end, but one of our guys who did said that Sen. Jacobs brought Sen. Raskin out to the hall to talk to the gunnies .. Raskin said he would NOT vote for the bill in its present form. Somehow he's been convinced that the bill he COSPONSORED is not a good bill. That's a helluva a victory!

What else was interesting was that Frosh, and Gladden and Forehand all stayed at least part of the time and asked intelligent, pertinent questions in a tone that was interested, not antagonistic. The ONLY cosponsor on the committee that didn't stay and ask good questions was Sen. Muse. I think we've really made huge progress!

The vote seems scheduled for Friday. If you can politely call the committee members who cosponsored the AWB and ask them to vote AGAINST SB 43 that will help:

Senator Brian Frosh (D-16), Chair: (410) 841-3124
Senator Lisa Gladden (D-41), Vice-Chair: (410) 841-3697
Senator Jennie Forehand (D-17): (410) 841-3134
Senator C. Anthony Muse (D-26): (410) 841-3092
Senator Jamin Raskin (D-20): (410) 841-3634

MSI written testimony, and a new legal analysis countering the 1994 opinion by Attorney General Joe Curran are up on the MSI web site ... on the new AWB page.

Did you watch the video of Suzanna Gratia-Hupp testifying before congress?
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6006926775914305210

We've contacted her and she's willing and able to come and testify for HB 228, the CCW bill, on Friday March 9th.

However, we have to raise a bunch of money (several thousand dollars) to pay her fee and expenses. Please contribute what you can.

We have maybe a dozen other women who will come to testify. Let's see if we can pack the hearing room with women who want concealed carry.

- Henry Heymering, President

Maryland Shall Issue, Inc.
P.O. Box 314
Libertytown, MD 21762
240-446-6782
http://www.marylandshallissue.org
henry@marylandshallissue.org
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 8:45:51 AM EST
Thanks TallNorton and thanks to Henry Heymering, president of MarylandShallIssue.org (MSI) for leading the charge on this one. I live in VA. But, like Henry, I shoot competitions in MD. I will be banned from bringing my competition guns into the state of MD if this thing passes. Keep up the pressure folks!

CBR

USPSA, IDPA, ICORE, GSSF
Team Shooters Paradise GSSF (2004-5)
Top Top