Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2009 3:59:22 PM EDT
So if ex-police officers can have a CCW, what about ex- military? Members of the military have had plenty enough training with firearms to be "trusted" with a CCW. A DD214 form is good enough to buy a pistol, Why not to carry? Anyone think I should try to push this issue? And if so, who would I push this issue to? And... Who would be with me?
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 2:51:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Ain't gonna happen.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 5:32:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Start here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=29&t=375431

Then go here:

www.marylandshallissue.org

-and give it a try.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 3:52:09 PM EDT
[#3]
The reasoning is cops have to worry about running into someone they arrested for the rest of their life, not the amount of training they went through.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 11:02:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The reasoning is cops have to worry about running into someone they arrested for the rest of their life, not the amount of training they went through.

Kharn

And by pure coincidence, the CHP program is run by the police in MD (MSP).    
Link Posted: 10/14/2009 2:19:00 PM EDT
[#5]
You can push all you want. You won't ever get anywhere in Maryland. Not all Ex police as you state can get a ccw. You have had to retired in good standing and have good reason. If you retired you can get a Leosa permit but you will have to qualify every year at your own expense. With the cert, ammo, and permit it will run you about 70.00
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 4:56:43 PM EDT
[#6]
So would that also apply to us retired active duty military members stuck here in the great liberal state of MD?  I would be will to spend that much and go through the process every year for the next two years I have left here before I can move back to Texas.
Link Posted: 10/17/2009 4:56:24 AM EDT
[#7]
The MD courts have ruled that if you were at risk of violence because of your military work, you would be issued a handgun by your command and your orders would state you are carrying it as part of your official duties. A military intel major sued and lost using his work and his TS as justification.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/17/2009 2:48:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Figures that the courts here are even more liberal than law makers....  Oh well Maryland leaving as soon as I can and taking my money and guns with me....
Link Posted: 10/21/2009 8:55:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Handgun permits are controlled and issued by the Maryland State Police and they do not trust anyone to have a permit.    What permits they do issue have restrictions on them such as to and from the bank, to and from home, etc.  You have to show previous documented threats or that you carry large amounts of cash to deposit in the bank.  The liklehood of there ever being a "shall issue" law is pretty remote becuiase the legislature are a bunch of wimpy ass democrats.

Here's a fun fact.  The State Police issue handgun peremits and will do a background on you prior to issuing said permit.  Once they determine you are "good enough" for one of their permits they will issue it as evidently you can be trusted to walk around in public with a concealed weapon, but don't ever try to enter the handgun section or any State Police Barracks with your weapon because you can't be trusted to carry concealed in their facilities.  You can be trusted around the unarmed public but not around the armed cops unless yoiu are in the parking lot.  Makes no damn sense.  Guess they would rather you left it in your car where it could be stolen, in their parking lot.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 7:55:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The MD courts have ruled that if you were at risk of violence because of your military work, you would be issued a handgun by your command and your orders would state you are carrying it as part of your official duties. A military intel major sued and lost using his work and his TS as justification.

Kharn

Kharn,

Do you have any additional info regarding this case or maybe even a link?

Not doubting you at all, just would like to learn more.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 12:40:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Sorry, I do not remember the name of the case.

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:03:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You can push all you want. You won't ever get anywhere in Maryland. Not all Ex police as you state can get a ccw. You have had to retired in good standing and have good reason. If you retired you can get a Leosa permit but you will have to qualify every year at your own expense. With the cert, ammo, and permit it will run you about 70.00

I'd like to meet the LEO that was denied one.  As far as the LEOSA route, who here wouldn't pay $70 for a carry permit?
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:27:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Maryland Court of Special Appeals denied a challenge to the carry permit law: Decision here
Sounds like the guy was super shady (he legally bought the handgun but hid it in the bushes when he saw a cop car approaching as he walked from his GF's place to his), and the COSA seems to lean on Heller not being incorporated (yet ) for their justification.

Kharn
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top