Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/15/2005 6:54:34 PM EDT
Hello y'all,

Anyone know if the Markham Park range will open up any time soon??
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 9:26:15 PM EDT
we all just hope the attitude of the range nazi changes with the long vacations they all had, its still closed till further notice, go to the web site for markham park
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 5:57:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Rentprop1:
we all just hope the attitude of the range nazi changes with the long vacations they all had, its still closed till further notice, go to the web site for markham park

Last time I went the RO was extremely cool and even let me use his spotting scope. I do remember a few jerky RO's years back, but last time I went the guy was nice.
Link Posted: 11/18/2005 1:35:21 PM EDT
The target range will reopen saturday nov 19th.
But i here that the skeet trap and sporting clays ranges will take alot longer.
Link Posted: 11/18/2005 3:41:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/18/2005 3:42:52 PM EDT by altav]
And if you want to go shooting, do it this weekend because looks like we'll be dealing with TS Gamma next week...
Link Posted: 11/19/2005 1:39:22 PM EDT
The entire range is open as of today.
FYI, we're not all range Nazi's !
Seth
Link Posted: 11/19/2005 7:58:21 PM EDT
sorry Seth, I never met you, I just do go out there any more, that white hair guy that works the rifle line, the old dude behind the counter, and the super gung ho guy with the mustache & fanny pack around his neck are all on a power trip and need to go bye-bye, I worked at a range for last 4 years, there is no need to treat people that way, I know how hard you guys have it and under the eye all the time, but treat people like you would like to be treated, what is with the wanna ba cop attitude of a lot of the guys, is there something cause the BSO training range is out there, I over heard the fanny pack guy telling someone he was a law enforcement instructor...I doubt he even grad the 6 th grade...the RSO plays fovorites to the regulars and treat all others with disrespect, I wrote a letter to the Sup of parks and rec last year about concerns with range safety even showed pics of RSO not paying attn to the line while hot, they went unanswered, glad I will not be there for the next accident...keep safe dont take it personally, about 90 % of the shooters that shoot at Markham bitch about it, but continue to go back...WHY ???
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 4:26:44 AM EDT
I enjoy shooting at Markham, and have only had one negative RO experience there, which was several years ago. It was the first time I took my wife to that range, and an RO made it quite clear to us that instead of playing with guns, women should do what they do best: shopping. I'm sure he realized the folly of ass-umption when he saw the tiny little groups the Mrs. shot with her MkII Target.

All my other annoying range experiences were with shooters who'll probably make Darwin's list someday.

Here's my most recent: The line is hot, and he (mid-40s, I'm guessing) just arrived at the spot next to me & starts to set up his gear. As I'm shooting my 9mm, he goes forward onto the grass to get his target stand which is hanging from the beams up front. This puts him in front of me & about 2 ft to the right of my muzzle. I stop firing and tell him that he can't go forward while the line is hot, and he gives me the standard "I know what I'm doing" look, and brings his target stand in to put a target on it. Then, after about a minute, he GOES FORWARD AGAIN to get something else (I forget if he was getting another target stand, or if he dropped something off his bench). The ROs saw him that time & yelled at him over the intercom, but he didn't seem to realize they were talking to him, or just didn't care. Fortunately it was near the end of my session, so I left without having to witness any further dumbassedness from the .

Maybe we should do a tacked thread about the stupid things we've seen shooters do. It might be educational for noobs whose mommy & daddy never showed them the proper way to handle a gun or how to behave on the range.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 3:54:47 PM EDT
Hey Rentprop1,
Just to give you my perspective.
I've been an active shooter at Markham for the last 6 years.
For the same reasons that most of the local yahoos don't like shooting there, this is probably the main reason why so many familys keep coming back. Rules, and lots of them.
It is true that we have to run a tight ship there, but this is necessary to protect everyone.
People don't like being told what they can and cannot do, and I am sorry that I cannot accomodate everybodys needs and wants. But then again, this is not my job.
The county owns and operates the range. They set the rules.
It has become readily apparent that these rules were created due to the actions of a few,
who probably shouldn't be permitted to own a firearm, much less drive a car!
I take great pride in knowing that many familys, are becoming regular shooters at my range,
because they know someone is looking out for them.
While I alone cannot stop all of the stupid people from proving Darwin correct, I can tell you that I appreciate our patrons helping out by informing the RSO's when they see something wrong.
As far as the few RSO's you mentioned, they may not be as personable as you like,
but that shouldn't stop you or anyone else from persuing your passion of firearms.
Just obey the rules and ignore the ideosyncrasies of the people you don't like.
I think most people will admit, that Markham is a pretty nice facility, and I for one, won't let those few individuals dissuade me from shooting there.
It really is a great feeling, when somebody stops me on the way out of the range, just to say thanks for the help we provided them in sighting in a rifle, or just how much they enjoyed shooting there that day.
I have made so many friends there, and I hope this continues.
BTW, I think the crew that works on Sundays may be more to your liking.
If you ever decide to go back, as for me....Regards, Seth
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 4:28:57 PM EDT
Seth you sound like the guy that let me use his spoting scope a few months ago while I was sighitng in my M4gery.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 4:55:09 PM EDT
Perhaps.
It seems that I spend more time yacking it up with other shooters, than I do, shooting at my bench.
Most of the RSO's consider me to be the go-to-guy when it comes to AR's,
(but I certainly don't consider myself an expert). That's why I spend so much time on this website.
After all, it's my passion too!
If I'm not working, then I'm usually shooting my AR's.
I cannot remember how many new shooters I've turned on to the black rifle, by letting them try mine.
Isn't that how we keep our hobby alive? By sharing our knowledge and experience?
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 7:00:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By gitsen:
The target range will reopen saturday nov 19th.
But i here that the skeet trap and sporting clays ranges will take alot longer.

Thanks for the information!

Oh and hello Seth. Me and my Father-in-law shared a line next to you one day and it's folks like you that keep us coming back. I get the feeling that the range officers seem to know their visitors pretty well and are mostly there to watch the 'newbies'. I've seen lots more of these newbies at the gun shows (the types that elbow you and don't say a word) and at local ranges lately. Security moms and joe-six-pack types.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 5:56:48 AM EDT
Guys,
Now that the Markham bashing session is over (I hope),
what would you think about getting all of the local AR shooters together at the range one day?
Might be fun to compare hardware and try out each other's rifles and accessories?
Seth
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 1:31:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By N2OGV:
Guys,
what would you think about getting all of the local AR shooters together at the range one day?
Might be fun to compare hardware and try out each other's rifles and accessories?
Seth

Count me in.

ETA wait,,,,, is there anyone here that I may have seriously pised off with any of my posts?
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 3:53:50 PM EDT
Markham Park Range processes a lot of people. Some are secure there. Many are not, they come from all walks and some certainly do not have any dicipline. These are a hazard and employees at the range are charged with overseeing them, handling firearms.... I could not do it.

It is a nice range, an asset in the county. The employees are part of the equation. As are the un diciplined, and the complainers.

I have been swept with LOADED firearms in several South Florida indoor ranges and at Pop's. I am more comefortable shooting at IPSC matches, and at Markham.

BTW, 50yd. line measures 50, 100yd. line is 100. Pretty nice eh?

I do have one beef- Where's the 200 yd. range?
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 3:56:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/21/2005 3:58:49 PM EDT by ALAN308]
Anyone know when Trail Glades Range will get long range rifle range addition?
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 6:32:20 PM EDT

Guys,
Seth

I'm all about comparing hardware...

Count me in for a meet at Markham.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 7:19:39 PM EDT
I love Markham park, best range I know of in Sotuh Florida, Bar None.

However, I have opinions on things that could be improved. Like the stopsign right before you go to a lane. One time I waited 5 minutes standing there with guns 'n gear before a RO saw me.

Then they have a ban on shotguns with pistol grips, I'm not gonna complain because I don't own one, but is there reasoning behind this?

And whats the deal with no rapid fire?

Other than that its a great place, most of the ROs are extremely helpful (except the old guy), the people are generally friendly, its a clean and well kept range, and most of the other rules I do recognize are out there to keep myself and other safe. I'll definatley be going back for my next range trip, whenever that is ($$$ problems now).
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 7:37:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/21/2005 7:37:48 PM EDT by HighStrung1]

Originally Posted By Jordanone:
I love Markham park, best range I know of in South Florida, Bar None.

Never been to Pop's huh?

Markham

HS1

Link Posted: 11/21/2005 7:44:53 PM EDT
Jordanone,

"The stopsign right before you go to a lane. One time I waited 5 minutes standing there with guns 'n gear before a RO saw me. "
Sometimes the shooters get us tied up, or people arrive just as the line is being called.
We do our best not keep people waiting, but sometimes it just happens.

"Then they have a ban on shotguns with pistol grips, I'm not gonna complain because I don't own one, but is there reasoning behind this?"
This is just another example of why we have so many rules.
Have you ever seen a person hold a 12 gauge pistol grip only shotgun with a cheekweld on the grip?
Nuff said...
The rule is that it must have a full stock (w/ pistol grip is OK too, but the stock must be extended).
Another problem with this, is that people will shoot from the hip. They frequently end up shooting the target frames (made from mild steel), or other peoples targets, and possibly even causing a ricochet back at the shooters.

"And whats the deal with no rapid fire?"
I'm sure that must have been caused by another less experienced shooter that probably lost control and perhaps started shooting holes in the roof?
I jokingly explain that rule, and add that if I (the RSO) can't do it, then sorry, but neither can you!

Hope this sheds some light on what we have to deal with, and why.

Take care, Seth

Link Posted: 11/21/2005 9:04:18 PM EDT
Is markham going to be open thursday of thanksgiving?
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 5:53:34 AM EDT
I hate the rule that you can't wear tank tops & open shoes. A wife-beater tee and some flip-flops should be perfectly acceptable.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 6:09:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By snail50:
I hate the rule that you can't wear tank tops & open shoes. A wife-beater tee and some flip-flops should be perfectly acceptable.

Tank tops should be acceptable. Open shoes is a liability. I see it now, a hot shell flying and getting trapped in your sandle and you start flaling about or w/e. It's just an accident waiting to happen.

My question still stands. Markham, Thursday?
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 6:39:49 AM EDT
If Seth doesn't answer, call the range & ask. http://www.markhampark.com/ (954) 389 2005

I'll probably make a pilgrimage to Markham this Saturday fairly early with an Izzy SAR-48 FAL (I might bring more; depends on how long I want to spend cleaning guns that afternoon). If anyone wants to say "hi" and compare hardware don't be shy.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 9:53:12 AM EDT
Hey Guys,
The range is closed on Thursday, and will be open on Friday from 8:30am to 4:30pm.
I'm not sure if I'll be at the gunshow on Friday or Saturday, but I should be there on the other day.
If you go to the range, please ask a RSO if I'm there, and say hello.
Later....Seth
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 11:12:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/22/2005 11:16:26 AM EDT by w4klr]
Pete is by far my favorite RO there excellent guy... if he wasn't working on a firing line... I'd bring him a beer
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 3:44:24 AM EDT
I'll be there tonight. Just plinking w/ my HBAR 10-22.
Care to join me?
Seth
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 8:22:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/23/2005 8:22:36 AM EDT by snail50]
I'm planning to be there either Fri AM or Sat AM. I'll probably be meeting a buddy there, but if anyone else is planning to go let's get acquainted, put a face to the screen name.
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 9:05:32 AM EDT
Looks like I'll be going to the gun show Friday morning, and then maybe to the range later,
possibly Saturday AM also. If you go, ask a RSO to see if I'm there...
Later, Seth
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 9:47:48 AM EDT
sounds good to me.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 12:13:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/27/2005 12:15:41 AM EDT by dsg2003gt]
i was there the day before thanksgiving til about 6 oclock, have shot there a few times before and never had a problem. and being 21, most of the time ROs dont think I know shit about guns(ive heard the comments through my muffs) because im so young, but at markham no one has ever said anything.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 6:10:46 AM EDT
Nice meeting you, Seth.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 5:37:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/27/2005 5:38:51 PM EDT by drshame]
Trail Glades 600 Yard Highpower Plan:

Range Renovation funded.

Preliminary Committee Recommendation includes 600 yard Highpower Range

Plan is getting lots of support from Local, State and Federal LE agencies as a greatly improved Homeland Security Firearms
Training Center for joint Public-LE use.

Preliminary Permitting awaiting formal approval from Commissioners who already allowed the $8-Million Dollar finding bond issue to considered by voters as part of a massive Parks-Recreation Bond Issue. BTW: Overwhelmingly Approved.

The Red Tape is taking forever. Obviously the antis in the Parks Dept are dragging their feet. But the Mayor, County Manager and LE's want it to happen, so with time...it should.

We should be a model for the entire Nation in Locals taking responsibility on their own...to provide Improved Homeland Training Facilites, at the same time creating a first class facility for Highpower Shooting enthusiasts.
We may be talking about a 20 position 600 yard range. We will host National Competitions here when it happens.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 6:13:51 PM EDT
Oh hell yeah. a 600 yd range. don't tease us.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 1:41:59 PM EDT

Guys,
Seth

Well I'll be heading down to Markham when my SEBR arrives to get a few hundred through it. Anyone will be welcome to try it out.

Any other SEBR purchasers here?
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 2:51:53 PM EDT
I'm on the verge of purchasing a Bushmaster 20" A3 as my first rifle. I have always been interested in rifle competitions and once i'm good enough, hope to compete in those monthly Sawgrass Rifle Club tournaments at Markham.

Does anyone know of any NRA rifle coaches or anyone experienced with AR-15's in the area that I could pay for a 1 or 2 hour lesson to just show me the ropes and the basics at the range? I expect to have my rilfe within the next two weeks, but just don't feel comfortable going out to the range by myself with zero experience having never shot a rifle before.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-John
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 1:47:24 PM EDT
John,
I'm planning on being at the range Saturday morning.
I'd be more than happy to give you the rundown of the range rules, as well as let you try my AR.
Just ask any range officer for me by name when you get onto the line.
Seth
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 12:36:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/3/2005 12:37:42 AM EDT by Accord]

John,
I'm planning on being at the range Saturday morning.
I'd be more than happy to give you the rundown of the range rules, as well as let you try my AR.
Just ask any range officer for me by name when you get onto the line.
Seth

Seth,

Thanks for the offer and willingness to help out a beginner, I really appreciate it! Unfortunately I can't make it out tomorrow, no worries though.

I ordered my AR-15 yesterday and should have it next Monday, December 12th. Perhaps once I receive it I could set something up with you for a 1 hour or so session just to cover all the basics and of course I would definitely pay you for your time.

-John
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 3:14:55 AM EDT
John,
Congratulations on the new rifle. Please, tell us more about it.
I'll be happy to help you out with it, except your money's no good here.
Just bring plenty of ammo.
Later, Seth
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 11:02:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/3/2005 11:03:59 AM EDT by Accord]
Thanks a lot Seth, I appreciate it.

It's a standard Bushmaster 20" A3 in the new "no ban" configuration, I ordered it from GunTech in Ft. Lauderdale and can't wait for it arrive.

The last time I shot anything was 3 years ago when I rented some pistols at a local range in Delray Beach. Aside from some of the basic safety rules I really just don't know anything else and at this point I just wouldn't feel comfortable going out to Markham and shooting by myself (especially with a brand new Bushmaster) without someone there to show me the fundamentals, tell me what i'm doing wrong, and just basically the proper range procedures and whatnot so I don't make a fool out of myself h
Thanks again,

-John
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 3:44:13 PM EDT
welcome, Accord, and congrats on the purchase of the Bushy.

The AR15 is a very uncomplicated rifle with intuitive ergonomics. Once you're familiar with it, you'll never forget. Accurate, easy to shoot, and infinitely customizable to your tastes, whatever they might be. Quite possibly the perfect fruit.

Not as good as a FN-FAL, but still good...
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 3:54:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Accord:
Aside from some of the basic safety rules I really just don't know anything else and at this point I just wouldn't feel comfortable going out to Markham and shooting by myself

John you could maybe use some video instruction then on how to shoot the rifle, how to disassemble, clean/maintain and reassemble.

The "Mastering the AR-15" DVD is pretty cheap, $20/$25 and might be worthwhile for you.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 3:00:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/4/2005 3:06:42 PM EDT by Accord]
Thanks for the recommendation Stoop, just looked at the description of the DVD and it sounds like something that would be perfect for me. I just ordered that DVD from CheaperThanDirt.com for $20.

Thanks again
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:30:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2005 7:35:11 PM EDT by Accord]
I'm going to be heading out to the range tomorrow to break in my AR-15 for the first time.

I've never been to the Markham Park range before, I read all of the rules and printed out a copy for myself, but can someone outline the proper procedures at the range? For example, when I first get there do I have to go check in at one of the buildings and have my rifle inspected with the action open and whatnot? And where do I go to buy targets?

Also, could someone please outline some of the normal procedures for when you're on the firing line and also some DO's and DON'T's? I'm a total newbie, so any advice is certainly appreciated .
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:08:59 PM EDT

I'm going to be heading out to the range tomorrow to break in my AR-15 for the first time.

I've never been to the Markham Park range before, I read all of the rules and printed out a copy for myself, but can someone outline the proper procedures at the range? For example, when I first get there do I have to go check in at one of the buildings and have my rifle inspected with the action open and whatnot? And where do I go to buy targets?

Also, could someone please outline some of the normal procedures for when you're on the firing line and also some DO's and DON'T's? I'm a total newbie, so any advice is certainly appreciated .

What time tomorrow? I live 5 minutes away and wouldn't mind zeroing my Bushmaster in a little tighter. We'll go over the entire rifle. It's really a very simple design.

IM me if you are interested.

HS1
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:38:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By HighStrung1:

What time tomorrow? I live 5 minutes away and wouldn't mind zeroing my Bushmaster in a little tighter. We'll go over the entire rifle. It's really a very simple design.

IM me if you are interested.

HS1

I just sent you an IM.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:20:32 PM EDT
It's nice to hear that Trail Glades is getting a 600yd range. I hope they take some time and renovate the other facilities there, especially after the hurricane, TG needs some work.

A model for how a range should be constructed is Sebastian! That range is great. It is the best range I have ever been at bar none. The staff is friendly and knowlegeable, the facilities are new and top notch, and it is the best kept range i have ever been at. I feel almost guilty letting my brass hit the ground because the place is so clean.

I can only hope that they take some of the excellence of Sebastian and bring it down to TG.

Too bad I wont be around to see it anyway..... Texas in 5 months.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:51:58 AM EDT
Hey Guys,
I believe that Markham is open from 1 till 5pm on Fridays.
Since I'm on vacation today, I hope to be there.
Maybe we can meet up ?
Seth
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:30:18 AM EDT

Hey Guys,
I believe that Markham is open from 1 till 5pm on Fridays.
Since I'm on vacation today, I hope to be there.
Maybe we can meet up ?
Seth

I had actually planned on being there today initiating my new SEBR. However thay have been delayed and I probably won't get it until next Friday.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:19:25 AM EDT
I'll be there today, checking out my new RR 2-stage trigger in my M4'gery,
and messing around with the 10-22.
Merry Christmas to all...
Seth

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:50:12 AM EDT
Accord and I will be there around 3PM.

Looking forward to meeting up with you guys.

See ya there!

HS1
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top