Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2003 7:51:45 PM EDT
for installing my Knight's FF RAS.  Looks great, bro!  Do you think Bookhound will be jealous?    
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 3:31:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, I am.  I was hoping you'd have pictures by now.  How did it compare to zzxx99's DD tube?  
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 4:07:14 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Yes, I am.  I was hoping you'd have pictures by now.  How did it compare to zzxx99's DD tube?  

Just messin' with ya, buddy!  There really is no visual difference between the two with the exception of the FF nut having a different contour on each.  The DD is very, very nice.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 4:11:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Double D's, Double F's, nuts, am I missing something here?

PICS!!!

ByteTheBullet  (-:

uh, no pics of the nuts, please.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 4:35:01 AM EDT
[#4]
zzxx99 recently installed a Daniel Defense Free-Float tube on his rifle.  The tube free-floats the barrel and provides rails for accessories and slots for better barrel cooling.  Last night he installed a Knights Armament FF (Free-float) RAS ("Rail Accessory System" - I think?), which is very similar to the DD tube.  The DD is cheaper and lighter weight than the KAC system though.  The KAC system uses a steel barrel nut, while the DD tube uses an aluminum one to save weight.

I'm leaning towards the DD, so I'm interested in seeing both systems for myself.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 4:40:03 AM EDT
[#5]
The Daniel Defense FF tube looks very good.  I haven't seen the barrel nut, but externally it is every bit as nice as the Knight's.  It's also more oval shaped as opposed to being round.  Allen and I will both be at CE on the 8th so you're definitely welcome to check it out.  BTW, the weight difference is about 3 oz. between a long DD tube and the long Knight's FF RAS.  The DD has cooling holes for the gas tube which is very cool (no pun intended).
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 4:41:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Cool.  By then I imagine you'll be selling the tube.  Tell Allen to bring his tools and we'll put it on one of my rifles.  I'm guessing you'll want $250 for it?  
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 4:42:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Cool.  By then I imagine you'll be selling the tube.  Tell Allen to bring his tools and we'll put it on one of my rifles.  I'm guessing you'll want $250 for it?  

Ha ha...jackass!  
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 7:36:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Bradd,

You're welcome.  It was a learning experience!  I'm definitely buying the receiver block for added leverage next time.  Some spare front sight block pins would help, too.

Let me know if you're gonna order the KAC gas block, I want one too.

I didn't know it until we started on the assembly that Knight's uses the same alignment pin setup as Daniel Defense.  If I had known that, I might have got a KAC FF instead.  However, the folks at both companies have been very helpful to me, and I will be doing more business with them in the future as a result of the customer service help they've given.  

The quality of the products appears about equal, it boils down to a little more weight for the KAC steel barrel nut vs. the DD's 'tall oval' handguard profile (KAC is round).  I also like the grip-able surface of the KAC handguard nut, it was a little easier to tighten.

See you on 11/8.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 6:36:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Let me know if you're gonna order the KAC gas block, I want one too.

I went with the PRI clamp-style front flip-up.  The Knight's didn't look as though it would cover the old mounting points of the original FSB.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top