Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2006 4:24:03 AM EDT

A south Fulton County homeowner was shot early Monday by a masked intruder claiming to be an FBI agent, police said.

The suspect kicked in the back door of the home on Hidden Court, in a subdivision off Welcome All Road, about 4 a.m., setting off the home's burglar alarm, Fulton police Cpl. Gary Syblis said.

The 53-year-old victim told police he got out of bed and heard the suspect coming up the stairs, yelling, "FBI, FBI, FBI," Syblis said.

Syblis said the homeowner confronted the suspect, who was wearing a ski mask and dark clothing.

The suspect fired four times, striking the victim once in the stomach. The victim returned fire, but apparently did not hit the suspect, who fled the home after the shooting.

The victim, whose name has not been released, was taken to Grady Memorial Hospital. His condition was not immediately available.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 11:40:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Hope the homeowner recovers.  Hope the FBI poser gets hit by a bus.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:21:55 PM EDT
[#2]
This is something I've worried about before - how do you know someone breaking into your home ISN'T law enforcement, especially if they claim to be?  If someone raided my house by mistake instead of the neighbor's house (has happened before, based on what I've read and seen on the news), and I shoot the first agent that pops his head around the corner of the hallway, they are going to waste me in my own home.  How do you KNOW it's okay to shoot an intruder?  You can't exactly say "throw me your ID/badge, or I'll shoot you" to a cop or FBI agent, can you?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:42:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
This is something I've worried about before - how do you know someone breaking into your home ISN'T law enforcement, especially if they claim to be?  If someone raided my house by mistake instead of the neighbor's house (has happened before, based on what I've read and seen on the news), and I shoot the first agent that pops his head around the corner of the hallway, they are going to waste me in my own home.  How do you KNOW it's okay to shoot an intruder?  You can't exactly say "throw me your ID/badge, or I'll shoot you" to a cop or FBI agent, can you?

I was wondering the same thing when I heard this story on the news this morning.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

If my wife and I have time to make it to the master closet, I only have one door to defend which is the entrance to the master bathroom.  If they are yelling FBI or POLICE or whatever, I will yell back that I have a gun and will shoot if they come into the bathroom.  I will yell back to throw the identification into the bathroom.  If they are non-compliant, I will be non-compliant and assume they are bad guys.  LE does not want to get shot, and I don't want to shoot them.  Even SWAT won't go into a room with no eyes or ears on the room if they know their suspect is armed.  If proper ID is shown, I'll let 'em know I'm coming out with my hands up.  Just my $.02.

Edited to add:  Remember, they can't come into your house without a warrant.  If someone drives up in a cruiser, is in full uniform, I answer the door, and he tries to barge in; he will get drawn down on if there is no warrant.  How the hell do I know he didn't steal the damned car and take the officer's uniform and gun?

The likelihood of anything like this ever happening is about as good as my chances of winning the lottery, but like winning the lottery, I have a plan if I do.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:02:32 PM EDT
[#5]
My stance on this....if the kick in my door....I am gonna pop someone...if they knock I will obey their warrant as i have nothing to hide....I know I know, They will eventually shoot me if I shoot one of them for kicking in my door...But I would gladly be the martyr if that makes them realize they better not just go kicking in doors. and they only do a no knock if they have VERY good reason.

If ONE guy kicks in my back door and comes running through my house yelling FBI....he wont make it up the stairs....They never come in with just one...and I dont think they would do a warrant with less then 2...and a full out no knock....I believe they will bring the swat team and come in more than one door...

When I was in the Corps...I had a run in with NCIS (Dont ask, No I didnt get kicked out, Yes I still got an Honorable discharge) The one guy said that they were going to do a full out raid on my house, but after gathering some more intel they didnt think it would be a good idea.....I told them, They were right because atleast one of them and probably me too wouldnt be setting in the room.....the guy just kinda looked at me with an agreeing look, and we carried on with the conversation...I like to think that they gave me the same raspect that they would want themselves....But I think they were more like, This guys armed to the teeth, with guns in every room and no way for us to sneak up on him before he gets to them. Lets do it peacefully....
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:40:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
My stance on this....if the kick in my door....I am gonna pop someone...if they knock I will obey their warrant as i have nothing to hide....I know I know, They will eventually shoot me if I shoot one of them for kicking in my door...But I would gladly be the martyr if that makes them realize they better not just go kicking in doors. and they only do a no knock if they have VERY good reason.

If ONE guy kicks in my back door and comes running through my house yelling FBI....he wont make it up the stairs....They never come in with just one...and I dont think they would do a warrant with less then 2...and a full out no knock....I believe they will bring the swat team and come in more than one door...

When I was in the Corps...I had a run in with NCIS (Dont ask, No I didnt get kicked out, Yes I still got an Honorable discharge) The one guy said that they were going to do a full out raid on my house, but after gathering some more intel they didnt think it would be a good idea.....I told them, They were right because atleast one of them and probably me too wouldnt be setting in the room.....the guy just kinda looked at me with an agreeing look, and we carried on with the conversation...I like to think that they gave me the same raspect that they would want themselves....But I think they were more like, This guys armed to the teeth, with guns in every room and no way for us to sneak up on him before he gets to them. Lets do it peacefully....

Don't get me started on the NIS.  Talk about JBTs.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 1:20:05 PM EDT
[#7]
mistaken identity, the wrong address can cause this.

Quoted:

Edited to add:  Remember, they can't come into your house without a warrant.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 1:22:36 PM EDT
[#8]
this sounds reasonable, I hope LE is as reasonable.

Quoted:
[  If they are yelling FBI or POLICE or whatever, I will yell back that I have a gun and will shoot if they come into the bathroom.  I will yell back to throw the identification into the bathroom.  If they are non-compliant, I will be non-compliant and assume they are bad guys.  LE does not want to get shot, and I don't want to shoot them.  Even SWAT won't go into a room with no eyes or ears on the room if they know their suspect is armed.  If proper ID is shown, I'll let 'em know I'm coming out with my hands up.  Just my $.02.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top