Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2007 11:57:02 PM EDT
I'm getting ready to move with my gal to our apartment in Amherst for school. Our initial move out there has us driving our diesel beetle there first with her dad and brother following about a week behind with the majority of out things in a trailer. The problem is the VW doesn't have a separate enclosed trunk (open to the cab of the car).  Can we transport a gun in a locking gun case and be legally ok?

thanks

ben
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:14:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Thank you all very much.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:17:29 AM EDT
[#2]
off topic
UB?

for food: Duff's for wings (corner of sheridan drive and millersport highway)
Jim's Steak Out for steak subs and stuff like philly cheesesteak. they're open until something like 5am, the ones near bars make a killing at 4am when the bars close
if you smoke, Alternative Brews on Sheridan is a registered cigar bar and therefore excempt from the smoking ban
for regualr pizza Bocce Club (I think it's on bailey, there's another one somewhere else that isn't as good from what I've heard)
for weird specialty pizzas, Just Pizza
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:31:41 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
off topic
UB?

Jim's Steak Out for steak subs and stuff like philly cheesesteak. they're open until something like 5am, the ones near bars make a killing at 4am when the bars close
if you smoke, Alternative Brews on Sheridan is a registered cigar bar and therefore excempt from the smoking ban
for regualr pizza Bocce Club (I think it's on bailey, there's another one somewhere else that isn't as good from what I've heard)
for weird specialty pizzas, Just Pizza

Thanks for te input. I posted some questions a while back and your replies were a lot more helpful than anything i got from UB. My fiance and I ended up getting a nice 2bedroom with a garage in Amherst. We were in the area for two days and didn't have much time for anything. Now classes are starting and we're heading off once summer work ends- we'll need a new watering hole for sure
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 4:12:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

BIG +1.

I took the bar exam in Buffalo and went there after the first day on the recommendation of a co-worker.

I now make it a point  to go to Duffs every time I'm in or traveling through Buffalo.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 6:17:04 PM EDT
[#5]
As a distinguished alum of UB, I second all of the recommendations for good eats and drink put forth. I'd also recommend Anchor Bar for wings, supposedly the birthplace of Buffalo wings. Its down Main Street, closer to downtown Buffalo. Also for pizza, I think the place is called Sal's. Its pretty much next door to The Steer, a popular bar on Main Street right outside the South Campus. It wasn't in existence yet when I attended, but I visited a while back and their pizza was not too far from authentic NY style, but not quite close enough. Better than most of the other offerings in the area IMHO. I also recommend Mighty Taco to you for quasi-Mexican fast food fare. It became a staple of my diet when I was up there and I make it a point to stop in whenever I'm in town.

If you need any recommendations or info when you get situated, just drop a line.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 2:41:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Mighty Taco is definitely superior to taco bell

I found Sal's to be way too greasy with not enough pepperoni
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:45:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Mighty Taco is definitely superior to taco bell

I found Sal's to be way too greasy with not enough pepperoni

Mighty Taco rocks! Gotta get the El'Nino burrito! There is a reason Buff is known for poor health and fat people! Tons of wing and pizza joints and is also one of the fastest growing markets for donut shops (Tim Hortons and Dunkin's) Ted's Hot dogs are good too, get a Ft long with everything, and vinegar fries and you are good to go.....

S.O.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 8:43:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Mags MUST be unloaded.

i dont believe so

we can transport loaded mags in NY, as long as they are not inserted into the firearm.

"must be unloaded in both chamber and magazine" = no mags sitting in mag wells loaded.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 2:08:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Unless you have a pistol permit and the mags in question are for your carry gun you could have a problem.     Maybe there is no law against it and the LEO was just "confused".  But I have witnessed a freind get a citation that cost him $150 for having a loaded mag in his coat pocket even though the rifle was cased and in the back seat. ( Hunting trip )

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 3:27:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Unless you have a pistol permit and the mags in question are for your carry gun you could have a problem.     Maybe there is no law against it and the LEO was just "confused".  But I have witnessed a freind get a citation that cost him $150 for having a loaded mag in his coat pocket even though the rifle was cased and in the back seat. ( Hunting trip )

take it to court, there is no law against it.

ill exercise my rights.

want to head to the range in wintertime and freeze your fingers off trying to stuff pistol mags?  no thanks...ill go with all my mags loaded (rifle and pistol).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top