Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2005 4:26:46 PM EDT
www.nraila.org/News/Read/Releases.aspx?ID=6539

Major Victory For Firearms Owners And Freedom In Louisiana

Friday, September 23, 2005

(Fairfax, VA) -- The United States District Court for the Eastern District in Louisiana today sided with the National Rifle Association (NRA) and issued a restraining order to bar further gun confiscations from peaceable and law-abiding victims of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans.

“This is a significant victory for freedom and for the victims of Hurricane Katrina.  The court’s ruling is instant relief for the victims who now have an effective means of defending themselves from the robbers and rapists that seek to further exploit the remnants of their shattered lives,” said NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre.

Joining LaPierre in hailing the U.S. District Court decision was NRA chief lobbyist Chris W. Cox. “This is an important victory.  But the battle is not over.  The NRA will remedy state emergency statutes in all 50 states, if needed, to ensure that this injustice does not happen again."

The controversy erupted when The New York Times reported, the New Orleans superintendent of police directed that no civilians in New Orleans will be allowed to have guns and that “only law enforcement are allowed to have weapons.”  ABC News quoted New Orleans’ deputy police chief, saying, “No one will be able to be armed. We are going to take all the weapons.”

The NRA also pledged that it will continue its work to ensure that every single firearm arbitrarily and unlawfully seized under this directive is returned to the rightful law-abiding owner.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:08:48 PM EDT
[#1]
If you were in Louisiana, it might not seem like it, but I think it's fantastic that the NRA made this move so quickly through the court system!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:22:18 PM EDT
[#2]
why is this in the TEXAS forum?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:14:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Because this is about the rights guaranteed to us by the US Constitution and this is the type of site where people are concerned about the second amendment?  This is a national issue, not a state or local one...  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:27:06 PM EDT
[#4]
that  is great HOPE we don't see gun grabs in TX after RITA
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:01:05 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because this is about the rights guaranteed to us by the US Constitution and this is the type of site where people are concerned about the second amendment?  This is a national issue, not a state or local one...  

and the fact that most of LA residents are in tx
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:07:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That still didnt answer the question....
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:08:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

and the fact that most of LA residents are in tx

okthat answers it
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:57:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:08:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:57:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Guys,

ALL of you should take a minutre to call the NRA, thank them for acting on this and drop them atr least a $20 spot for a donation.

They need to be rewarded when they take action like this.

This is good news.

CMOS
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:16:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Here is a report from the Houston Chronicle:

New Orleans police can't disarm evacuees

Return weapons to law-abiders, judge demands
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:47:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Because (at the time I posted this) Hurricane Rita was bearing down on Texas, and so this ruling might have given Texas authorities pause should any of them have had the same reactive-but-not-well-considered notions as those in Louisiana did (but I wouldn't think so; having myself lived in both New Orleans and in Texas, I personally believe Texas authorities have better sense than to issue such an order to disarm its citizens in the first place).

Secondly, should this ruling by the United States Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana be appealed by Louisiana authorities, then the case would go to the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, of which Texas is a part (and so is Mississippi).  So any appellate ruling would be binding on Texas (and Mississippi) authorities as well.

Does that satisfy ya?!?  
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:05:25 PM EDT
[#13]
the real question should be, are they going to get their weapons back?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:49:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because (at the time I posted this) Hurricane Rita was bearing down on Texas, and so this ruling might have given Texas authorities pause should any of them have had the same reactive-but-not-well-considered notions as those in Louisiana did (but I wouldn't think so; having myself lived in both New Orleans and in Texas, I personally believe Texas authorities have better sense than to issue such an order to disarm its citizens in the first place).

Secondly, should this ruling by the United States Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana be appealed by Louisiana authorities, then the case would go to the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, of which Texas is a part (and so is Mississippi).  So any appellate ruling would be binding on Texas (and Mississippi) authorities as well.

Does that satisfy ya?!?  

i guess i'll let it slide.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:34:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:48:10 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
That is just the views in New Orleans. I can tell you this first hand that that is not true for the surrounding areas. When Kenner first opened up for residents to return, I got pulled over cause my lic plate is still TX. After I explained why I was there and showed proof. The Kenner PD that pulled me over noticed a gun case in the back seat. He asked what it was and I told him it was a rifle. He asked what kind, I said an AR15. He handed me my DL back and said I should keep the rifle handy since the PD is spread pretty thin. Bid me a good day and let me go on my merry way.

Yes, major difference between Orleans Parish and every other parish in Louisiana.  Sheriff Harry Lee (Jefferson Parish surrounding NOLA) is one of the good guys, personally gave me my CCL when I lived there 10 years ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top