Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2013 1:09:35 AM EDT
What are Wyoming's laws regarding magazine capacity for antelope?

Would I need to find 5-round mags for my AR, if I used that?
Link Posted: 7/12/2013 6:12:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/12/2013 9:38:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Awesome, thank you.
Link Posted: 7/12/2013 4:26:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 8:51:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I am not sure a 5.56 rifle is the best caliber for taking an Antelope. While legal in the regs, there are some bullet requirements. A 243 or 25:06 would be a better choice or a 308 AR IMO. You only want to use one shot as there is only so much meat on them and you don't want to waste it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 2:32:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh, I agree. I have a 6.5 Grendel upper and a .260 MATEN.

I'm a pretty good shot, too.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am not sure a 5.56 rifle is the best caliber for taking an Antelope. While legal in the regs, there are some bullet requirements. A 243 or 25:06 would be a better choice or a 308 AR IMO. You only want to use one shot as there is only so much meat on them and you don't want to waste it.
View Quote

I'd generally agree and I've actually posted that I thought that big game hunting with a .224 bullet is more of a stunt than a sport, but I've recently changed my mind...

My grown daughter has decided to keep my .270 as a memento. She has called it 'her rifle' for a long time anyway. If I decide to hunt with her, it will come down to a choice between my elk-hunting 300 Win Mag loaded with 200grain Partitions and my handy 16" AR-15 and a premium bonded bullet. My vote goes with the AR15. It has a military 10X scope with a mil-dot reticle and mil knobs. I have no doubt of my ability to place a shot but I'd confine my hunting inside 200 hundred yards or so due to terminal velocity. If I can't place the shot correctly for the limitations of the cartridge, I won't take it. Another thing in favor of the AR is that 2nd shot followup is quicker. I'm not talking about semi-auto hunting - I'm talking about recoil management. By the time I regain the sight picture with my 300 Win Mag and locate my target, I may have lost the opportunity for a quick followup shot.With my AR, I can see the bullet impact and watch what happens. Whatever the caliber, one-shot "bang-flops" are only a sometime thing anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top