Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2003 8:32:42 AM EDT
We will be hosting another machine gun shoot at the pit in Lapeer Memorial Day weekend in honor of our troops.  The shoot will start at 10am or so and go most of the day.  There should be a wide assortment of guns from belt feds, assault rifles and subguns.  However, we are also planning on doing a clean up that day.  If you have visited the pit lately you will have noticed how dirty it has gotten.  So, Sunday morning around 10am before we start shooting we will have garbage bags, rakes and shovels to do a quick clean up.  With enough guys it should go quick.  I contacted the DNR office in Lapeer and he will leave the gate open for us to take the trash to.  So if your interested in coming please give us a hand at 10am and the rest of the day enjoy some of the amazing weaponry.  We need to make an effort to clean this place up otherwise sure as shit they will close it down.  Make sure you bring a good pair of gloves, there is lots of glass and sharp metal out there.  Please email me if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Jim
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 3:59:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I left a lot of brass laying out there last time. Guess I'd better take a turn on the range detail. You gonna be there right at ten or a little before?
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 5:22:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey guys,

It sounds like I stumbled on a pretty cool website-one question though: I didn't think MG's other than C&R guns were legal in this state. Or  are the class three guys from out of state?

I'd love to come down and burn a few mags thru my AR with you guys-how many of ya's are there?

Dave
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:24:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Dave.....These guys have C&R guns and they are incredible. Check out these two threads for pictures of some of their earlier shoots at "the pit".

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=39&t=168688&w=searchPop

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=39&t=168323&w=searchPop

These guys are super friendly and love their full auto toys. I sure wish I could be there but unfortunately for me, that is my Sunday to work [>(]  Thank God Bulletfest is only a little more than a month away!
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:44:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Very Much C&R and very much legal, it is a Colt/Armalite AR15 Model 01 (601)

The last shoot we had 30 or 40 guys through out the day I'd estimte. I would anticipate less at this shoot because of the holiday and people might be off camping or getting the boat in the water. If you are free stop out, the more the merrier. If you want to take my AR or SW76 for a test drive, just bring some good quality factory brass cased ammo.

As Doc said above, the range is in REAL BAD need of a cleaning so if you can help out there, we sure could use a hand.

Link Posted: 5/13/2003 6:23:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like I will be there after all cuz I took a vacation day.

You guys are right, that place is a mess. I was there tonight just long enough to fire some test rounds through my .50 and run a couple mags through my CZ-52. In addition to shot up propane tanks, I saw a car door, a refrigerator, and a ton of other crap. We are going to need a dump truck by the looks of it.

I will see you guys there and I will do my best not to drool on your guns .

Thanks for inviting us!
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 6:36:58 PM EDT
[#6]
For those that help us do that clean up you will have first dibbs at shooting our toys.  Yes, we will defintely need a few trucks and it looks like we will have just that.  Make sure you bring a good pair of gloves!

Thanks,

J.D.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 7:13:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't have a truck but I do have gloves and a rake. See ya at 10:00.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:12:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I have to work in the afternoon But I will show up at 10:A.M. for the cleanup
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:28:48 AM EDT
[#9]
We need to start scheduling these shoots around my time. I always seem to miss out. Although as mentioned, bulletfest is only a short time away.

You guys have fun on sunday, I wish I could be there.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 3:17:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes, bulletfest is cool but this is local!  Its kind of nice meeting guys that live in the same state and have the same interests.  Hope you can find a way to make it
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:37:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:07:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, it is not a "Range" per-se, it is an old gravel or sand pit on state land that the DNR allows, in that they don't regulate it, us to shoot on. No benches and no target holders. If you take a look at "Lumpy223" post with the links you can get a little look at the facility I think. The distance is about 100yrds. All in all it is very nice in that you can rapid fire you semis and you can shoot machine guns, both without being bothered. That makes up for lack of distance or accomodations. If you want a bench rest shooting range, perhaps this is not for you....since ther are no benches but you are welcome just the same....it is just B.Y.O.B.! (Bring Your Own Bench)

Directions can also be found on this site, I think under the "Ranges" section. If not there, there is a link somewhere to the map and directions.

Summarized it goes like this, from 69 (from the east Port Huron direction) is exit at Wilder road and go north, take it till it ends. Left on Bowers, couple miles down right on Roods Lake Rd. Follow that quite a ways till the woods start and it is a half mile or mile into the woods....give or take. Range is on the right hand side and small.....don't blink. Probbly will be hard to miss if you arrive after 10am as there is almost always cars there. Parking sucks if there is a crowd but if there is a croud, chances are it is worth stopping in cause one of us are probably there with a machine gun. :)

Hope to see you there.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 3:44:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Hey O_P, welcome to the board. Here's a map drawn up by an esteemed member of the Lapeer Pit Crew.

Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:35:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:42:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Here's my pix. These are downsized for the web. If anyone wants the originals (1600x1200) let me know.

Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:42:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:43:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:44:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:44:35 PM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 5/25/2003 1:25:26 PM EDT
[#20]
drbones and crew:

Thank you for inviting us out to a great day of shooting!  
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:22:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Wow. sorry to see I missed out on so much fun. I did miss for the Indy 500, however so I don't feel quite as bad.

Thanks for posting all the awesome pics. I hope to make it next time for sure.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 3:38:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Wow.....what a blast!

Thank you drbones and crew. You guys are fun to party with!

High points of the day:

* Watching the piano get shredded by God only knows how many rounds.

* Firing 2 different M16s, an AR-18, an MP40, and a S&W 76.

* Watching the Tannerite charge scatter the 20 lb. propane tanks.

* Watching the sawdust flare up (GREAT picture of that Delta_3_63)

* Watching the tannerite blow a board probably 65 feet straight up.

My pics will be up shortly. Geez Delta, with all those pictures, did you even shoot? LOL.

My shoulder is a bit....um.....shall we say...tender.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 3:52:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks from me also guys.  I had a blast shooting and watching the toys that I could only dream of owning.  Thanks again for the awesome show.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 4:43:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Wow!

And I was "in town" so to speak at my place in Clinton County. I guess I should have checked the hometown forums before I came in for the holiday weekend. Would have loved to attend.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 5:00:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Hey Thanks!
You could have taken a picture of.....well...my other end! Instead of plastering my ass all over the internet!

Well I guess any exposure is better than none!
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 5:31:14 PM EDT
[#27]
LOL.

Glad to see that your truck retained enough fuel for the trip home
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 5:44:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Lumpy,

Those pictures are amazing!!!  I am glad you had a good time today because I surely did.  Everything went very well and we all made new acquaintances.  If I did not get a chance to meet everyone I am sorry but we will surely have another shoot in a couple months or so.  Thanks again for all of your help cleaning up the range and the DNR also says thank you.  I will let you know when we plan on doing another shoot.  If at all possible I would love for you to mail me a disc with all of those pictures on it, they are fantastic.  One of the guys there is putting together a website for all of us class 3 junkies and those pics would be cool.  Email me and let me know if you wouldnt mind sending me one, I will gladly pay you for the disk and shipping.

thanks again,

Jim D.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 6:20:57 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Hey Thanks!
You could have taken a picture of.....well...my other end! Instead of plastering my ass all over the internet!

Well I guess any exposure is better than none!

Sorry 'bout that. I was kinda in a hurry and wasn't paying too much attention on framing the shot.

Just think of how popular you'll be when the photoshop guys get ahold of that one!

edited to add:
I cropped out the provocative part of that photo. Don't want to get in trouble for starting an unauthorized BOTD thread!
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:17:05 PM EDT
[#30]
That looked great. Too bad I was Married Sat. and was in no condition to go.
This is the second time I missed a large event maybe next time I can come out.

By the way I love the pics. Keep'em comming.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:55:30 PM EDT
[#31]
dang what kind of Camera do you have? Those pictures really are of outstanding quality.

very crisp and real looking

please let me know!
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 8:07:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Hey Lumpy,

FYI...My f-ing shoulder is purple.  Thanks for letting me shoot your .50 BMG.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:51:35 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
dang what kind of Camera do you have? Those pictures really are of outstanding quality.

very crisp and real looking

please let me know!

I use a Nikon Coolpix 2500. It's a 2.1 megapixel pocket digital with a Nikkor lens. It's similar in size to the old 110 instamatics but takes pictures (almost) as good as a 35mm.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 10:11:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 5:52:28 AM EDT
[#35]
That was a BLAST, literally and otherwise. I had my son video tape the action, he got 5 minutes of the guns and 25 minutes of nothing but that damn blue piano being shot to pieces. Oh well, had lots of fun just watching the action.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:02:02 PM EDT
[#36]
YAAARRRGGHH!Could'nt make it this weekend!
I'm glad to see everyone had a blast. The weapons
look awesome as usual, especially that FN MAG!
The pit looks alot nicer as well. Dayyyyymn.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top