Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 9/15/2009 7:06:33 PM EDT
Can anyone recommend any spots with a good back stop for some plinkin' in the Bitterroot?  Someplace in the National Forest?  Preferably someplace between Florence and Hamilton?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:55:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends on what distance you are looking to shoot at.
There's a spot on National forest up Skalkaho highway(state 38) that you can probably get 50 yards.
No backstop other than trees. It's on the North side of the road, past 714 road.
You could also probably go up Skalkaho/Rye road to the tubing hill.
Keep in mind that it's archery season now also.So you don't want to be going to deep in to NF.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:00:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Depends on what distance you are looking to shoot at.
There's a spot on National forest up Skalkaho highway(state 38) that you can probably get 50 yards.
No backstop other than trees. It's on the North side of the road, past 714 road.
You could also probably go up Skalkaho/Rye road to the tubing hill.
Keep in mind that it's archery season now also.So you don't want to be going to deep in to NF.

Thanks for the suggestion Force.  I've been up Skalkaho many times in the past.  I'll keep my eye open for road 714.  When you say the tubing hill.... is that a place where people innertube in the winter? My mom lives on 30 acres on the westside of Stevi and I've done some plinking at her place but it sometimes upsets the people who live behind her property so out of courtesy I thought I'd look for someplace in the National Forest to go.  I've been to the Whittecar gun range down in Hamilton several times but sometimes I just want to shoot rapid fire at coke cans for kicks.  Thanks again for the suggestion.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:15:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, the innertube hill. It's  about 3-4 miles up skalkaho/rye, on the left side of the road.
People used to go up 714 rd and shoot, but after alot of trees got shot to hell, the Forest service put a stop to it.

The place near 714 road is about a mile or 2 farther up Skalkaho (past 714) on the left side of the highway.
Grassy area to pull over.
I do alot of shooting at Whittaker range also. It can be a pain in the ass.
Alot of idiots that aren't real curtious.
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top