Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:56:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Done
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:02:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Done.

I got an idea. I'll be back.

WIZZO

EDIT: I posted a thread in GD about it. According to them, we're still down by quite a bit.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:38:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Done.... E-mail sent to my shooting friends group list!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:07:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:37:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Done
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:39:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Done
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:37:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Done

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:09:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Done
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:39:45 AM EDT
[#9]
The thing is, Conoco Phillips does have the right to tell employess they cannot bring firearms onto their properties. I don't agree with that stance, I think people at work, especially people who work in retail locations should indeed be able to have firearms not only in their cars, but on their person for self defense.

The NRA is flawed in arguing that they will fight a corporation that takes our Second Amendment rights away. No corporation has this power. If the employees of Conoco Phillips do not like the firearm ban, they can simply quit. This is not a Second Amendment infringement.

Like I said, I don't agree with the stance of Conoco Phillips, but if we force them to allow employees to carry guns onm their property, that is the violation in the constitution. Conoco Phillips has the constitutional right to be secure within their place of business. What this really means is secure from governmental interference. An idea pioneered in the days when the government was very aprehensive to regulate business.

Don't agree with it but what frightens me more is how often the NRA fights good battles for the wrong reasons. I would think someone at NRA would realize how flawed this argument really is.

I urge everyone to truely think for themselves. Any business owners here want to be forced to do anything by the courts? Think about it. Don't be a lemming bridge jumper.

Go ahead.....flame away.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:32:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Should CP be allowed to ban firearms on thier property?  Absolutely.  
Should an employee be able to sue CP if something happens that could have been prevented with an employee's firearm?  Absolutely.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:08:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Going along with this thread:

My Car is My Castle
The NRA takes the battle for gun rights to the company parking lot, the New York Times editorializes on it.

Fresh from its victory last week, when a timorous Senate voted to protect the gun industry from damage suits, the National Rifle Association is now urging a boycott of a major energy company, ConocoPhillips, that dares to protect its employees from gunplay in the workplace. With a sense of civics worthy of the O.K. Corral, the N.R.A. announced a national campaign, replete with billboards, to urge gun lovers to bypass Conoco and Phillips 66 gasoline stations until the company drops its ban on employees' keeping firearms in company parking lots.

ConocoPhillips ran afoul of the N.R.A. when it joined in a challenge to a law passed by the Oklahoma Legislature that would strip businesses of their gun-control rights on company property. The state gun lobby jumped on the issue after a dozen workers were fired at a paper mill for violating a ban on keeping guns in their cars parked in company lots.

Responsible corporations sued, pointing out that they are liable for workers' safety. They cited estimates that more than a dozen killings occur each week in the nation's workplaces because angry employees are able to put their hands on guns.

Most Americans do not believe that the right to bear arms applies to an employer's parking lot, to a church or to many of the other places where politicians have declared open season because they fear the out-of-control gun movement. A good example of that fear was on display recently in the Senate, when it voted to protect gun makers and distributors from legitimate damage suits by victimized families and communities. The House is expected to follow.

With federal politicians thus caving in, the best hope may be the sort of local initiative shown by Columbus, Ohio. City leaders, alarmed by Congress's refusal to renew the assault weapons ban, passed one of their own because they decided that magazine-loaded military-style rifles had no place in sport, or in a civilized city. In retaliation, the N.R.A. dropped Columbus as a possible site for its 2007 national convention. Columbus should be feeling honored, not snubbed, as well as arguably feeling safer. So should the corporations who sensibly resist the dictates of the gun lobby.

Found in the August 4th New York Times.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:11:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Should CP be allowed to ban firearms on thier property?  Absolutely.  
Should an employee be able to sue CP if something happens that could have been prevented with an employee's firearm?  Absolutely.

Nope, sorry. If something happens at CP, i.e. a violent episode where one could have protected themselves with a firearm had the company allowed the employee to carry a firearm, the employee does not have the right to sue on the grounds of CP not allowing them to carry a firearm. They can claim permanant bodily harm, they can claim PTSD, and so on but they will not have any ground to stand on if they sue for the company for not being allowed to carry a firearm, let alone for the company not allowing them to keep a firearm in their car.

This is sadly another mis-guided attempt by NRA. If you pay attention, the NRA "claims" victory more often then they really win victories. If they were so sharp, and so connected, and fought on such logical ground, the crime-bill would have never happened (assault weapon ban). I think before we run off to sign any poll that NRA can dream up (keep in mind how Pearson and the rest at ISRA continuously fuck us i.e. Handgun control inc, the gunshow loophole, etc, etc) I think we should take a minute to llok at whether
A. They make any sense
B. Whether or not they are right.

I'm sorry but when I hear LaPierre speak, tingles don't run through my body because of his eloquence and wit.

It sucks that CP will not ley employess protect themselves. It sucks that convicted child molestors are let out of prison after a year or two so they can kidnap, rape and murder their next go round, yet for a pound of marijuana posession, one will go to prison for years on end.

Justice is non-existant in this country.

I recently heard a joke about the Iraqis writing a constitution. The comedian suggested we just give them ours as we don't use it anymore.

P.S..........I don't like work place lawsuits. I think if you get robbed while working at a gas station, that sucks but you should have enough common sense to realize that if you work a graveyard shift at a gas station, you may get robbed. There is always my theory.........Fuck the rules.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:11:06 AM EDT
[#13]
While I agree with patriot on the rights of business owners, I also believe that my car is MY property. Where it is parked does not change that. Therefore, I believe that a gun that is in my car does not violate a businesses' right to restrict firearms on their property. Once you take it out, that is a violation.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:05:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
While I agree with patriot on the rights of business owners, I also believe that my car is MY property. Where it is parked does not change that. Therefore, I believe that a gun that is in my car does not violate a businesses' right to restrict firearms on their property. Once you take it out, that is a violation.

I agree with you but the Supreme Court has ruled a car is not private property and therefore they can prohibit you from having a firearm in your car at work. It sucks, but that's the way it is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top