Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/10/2006 2:04:59 PM EDT
Guys....500 people have email their support for the AWB. We need to get off of our asses. The contact information is at the bottom of the MSI Update.

PICK UP THE PHONE!

The Hearings on March 8th went very well. The committee members were friendly and treated us quite well. We were not rushed or hushed as in previous years. The tough and antagonistic questions were all pointed at the gun-control folks (two from Ceasefire, and two from Coalition to Stop Handgun Violence). There were no antagonistic questions to those testifying on our side. The gun-control side had the same 4 people testifying (often caught in lies and exaggerations) on each bill while we had 40 individuals each of whom took a day off work to be there ... each testifying for the bills most important to them personally.

There was some good-natured humor when HB 1162 was introduced. HB 1162 would allow women (only) to have shall-issue CCW, while leaving the current system in place for men. We haven't pushed it because it is a bit tongue-in-cheek. No doubt it would be found to be discriminatory and unconstitutional. The reason for it is to make the legislators think. That seemed to work. Ray Givens testified in favor of the bill. He said he wanted his wife, daughter and mother to be able to defend themselves when he couldn't defend them. He then said: and then they can defend me. The committee members all laughed ... but with us, not at us. They got it.

We had a very good effect. There was a noticeable shift towards our side by the committee as a whole and by several of the legislators that have not committed to a particular side already. The committee as a whole seemed to clearly understand that the pro-gun side is larger, more honest, and more correct than the gun-control lobbyists.

However, privately, one of the legislators said they'd gotten 500 emails in support of the Assault Weapons Ban. I can't believe there are 500 people in Maryland who are in favor of the AWB and care enough to actually send an email.

Our numbers of people who care about preserving and furthering gun rights are far higher than those for gun control. That's very clear when nearly 40 pro-gun *individuals* show up for the hearings but only 4 gun control people (at least 3 of them paid lobbyists) show up at the hearings. If we can't generate as many emails and phone calls as they can ... then shame on us ... we deserve to lose.

For those of you who have written, called, and/or emailed... thanks very much! Your efforts have made a difference. The hearings were far more relaxed and pro-gun than previous years. However, I don't think we've generated 500 emails in favor of our self-defense rights yet. We should be able to generate 5000. Have you done your part?

For those of you who have not yet written, called and emailed... SHAME ON YOU! We have 3 business days left to have sufficient effect to get through the bottleneck of the Judiciary committee. The committee vote should take place next Thursday morning. The future is uncertain. We have our best shot at maintaining and furthering gun rights NOW.... in the next three days. Over the weekend you can't call, but you can email. Monday through Wednesday you need to call each one of these 9 just once. You can do it on your lunch break. If your dialing fingers are all broken you can dial 411 with your nose and have the operator complete the call for you. I would sure hate to have it on my conscience next year with an anti-gun Democrat as Governor saying to myself ... yeah, I could've called, but I didn't think it would make a difference.

It will make a difference. Five of those below have shown a clear shift towards our side. We need to generate enough calls to get them enough over to our side that they will want to vote FOR self-defense. We can do that ... but only if YOU care enough to pick up the phone.

Please support the following bills:

HB-12 (Repeal Ballistic Fingerprinting),

HB-14 (Repeal Integral lock requirement),

HB-529 (MD Constitutional Amendment - Declaration of Right to Keep and Bear Arms),

HB-1163 (Maryland Shall Issue CCW),

HB-1382 (CCW Reciprocity with other states),

Phone calls:
1-800-492-7122 + extension or 1-410-841-.ext

Del. Anderson ext. 3291

Del. Brown ext. 3707

Del. Carter ext. 3283

Del. Dumais ext. 3052

Del. Kelley ext. 3212

Del. Petzold ext. 3001

Del. Simmons ext. 3037

Del. (Chairman) Vallario ext. 3488

Del. Zirkin ext. 3342

e-mails: curt.anderson@house.state.md.us, anthony.brown@house.state.md.us, jill.carter@house.state.md.us, kathleen.dumais@house.state.md.us, darryl.kelley@house.state.md.us, carol.petzold@house.state.md.us, luiz.simmons@house.state.md.us, bobby.zirkin@house.state.md.us

(Chairman Vallario does not use email)

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:38:46 PM EDT
I sent e-mails to support the bills.

Feel pretty good about it.

Frank
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:43:50 PM EDT
So, when do we find out if we're any more free or not?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:51:57 AM EDT
Update as of Saturday morning:

There is a serious chance that what we are doing is working folks. We are picking up votes and it's getting to the point where our bills may make it to the floor.

Be suure to also include that you want OPPOSITION to bill 1367 (AWB)
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:13:12 AM EDT
I will call/email them.

Norton, when will the vote be if we have one, and what times? I just hope i can make it to the voting, if and when we have it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:11:38 AM EDT
Just emailed everyone.Will call,again,early next week.

Few tips:
Keep it short,respectful,and to the point.You may well be capable of writing a 10,000 word essay,that is so fluid,so logically laid out,and so enlightening that Chuck Schumer would see the light,BUT -no one is going to wade through it all,esp. while they're in session.To the point.

Take the time and read their bios.Sometimes there is some common ground.Maybe you went to the same school,belong to the same fraternal orginizatrion,served in the same branch,whatever.Mention it in your letter.It's always a nice personal touch.Sometimes they actually DO read their own email!

Also,at least down here,most all my reps,at the state level,usually vote how I feel.Obviously your opinion isn't going to have as much weight outside of your own district,so don't mention it if you're not in their district.But if you are,BE SURE to mention it.

Lastly,if and when they vote your way,drop them a line and THANK THEM! I emailed my Delegate a line last summer,just to say thanks.Told him the reason he never much heard from me,is because he most always voted the way I would! He actually replied (he always does) that it was awful refreshing to hear fro ma satisfied customer.Usually folks only call/write him when they're pissed.Give the folks on our side a pat on the back now and them.We need ALL th help we can get.

OK-one more thing.
DO IT NOW!
If you don't vote,don't let your reps know what YOU want,and don't actively participate in the whole process,you have LOST your right to bitch,if things don't go your way! Good men gave their LIVES,so that we would have the RIGHT to participate.It's your responsibility!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:12:46 AM EDT
Emails sent to all of the committee members listed above. Feel free to cut/paste or edit and use as necessary:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: Delegate.XXXXX@house.state.md.us
Re: HB-1163 (Shall-Issue CCW)--SUPPORT

Dear Delegate XXXXXXXX-

As a lifelong resident of the state of Maryland, I write you to ask for your support of HB-1163, which would make Maryland a "shall-issue" state for concealed handgun carry permits, bringing Maryland into line with the majority of US states. All available evidence demonstrates that making it easier for law-abiding citizens to obtain a carry permit reduces violent crime. Please support HB-1163.

Along those same lines, there are a few other good bills that I also ask for your support on. Those bills are HB-12 (Repeal Ballistic Fingerprinting), HB-14 (Repeal Integral lock requirement), HB-529 (MD Constitutional Amendment - Declaration of Right to Keep and Bear Arms), and HB-1382 (CCW Reciprocity with other states).

Please vote NO on any new "gun control" measures, especially HB-1367 ("Assault" weapons ban). I have owned such weapons for many years, and none of them have ever spontaneously jumped out of the closet and "assaulted" me or anyone else. Enacting such legislation would simply create more hassles for law-abiding citizens, while doing nothing to control the actual source of violent crime in Maryland--criminals!

Thank you for your time. I appreciate your consideration on these matters.

Sincerely,

libertyforall

--------------------------------------------------------

Remember to include a subject line with the bill name and the words "SUPPORT" or "OPPOSE", as applicable. I think it would make more of an impression on whoever opens up the email box to see a lot of subject lines all at once which say "HB-1163--SUPPORT" (rather than the ambiguous title of "HB-1163" or "gun control" or something like that).

It might help to send a similar email to Giannetti on the Senate side, asking him for his support on the Senate CCW bill. As I recall, he was the swing vote that said NO last year on one of our good bills (I can't recall whether it was Shall-Issue or Ballistic Fingerprint repeal). All of our good bills are cross filed in the Senate (I think?) and we need to work on Giannetti in order to get them through.

Let's make this happen, folks!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:58:57 PM EDT
Back up top guys.Email now,call tomorrow!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:46:04 AM EDT
Hi all,

The bills are likely to be voted upon on Thursday. Today, Wednesday, is probably our last chance to make any impact.

According to those who have been down in Annapolis, it's getting to the point where the clerks answering the phone are able to recite back the whole package of bills that we are supporting and to even add, "Let me guess, you're opposed to HB1367 (AWB) as well?"

Every point of contact makes a difference.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:29:11 PM EDT
Does anyone know how the voting went today? What's the word?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:00:44 PM EDT

According to those who have been down in Annapolis, it's getting to the point where the clerks answering the phone are able to recite back the whole package of bills that we are supporting and to even add, "Let me guess, you're opposed to HB1367 (AWB) as well?"

I got pretty much the same response when I called. I second the question of any news on results?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:49:12 PM EDT
Let it pass please, i sent an email to them also ...

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:57:19 PM EDT
The MSI update is below. Apparently only in Maryland is it possible to let a criminal defense attorney (Vallario) be in charge of the committee that passes laws that could harm his clients. Keep up the pressure, the worse thing that can happen is that you spend a few minutes typing up an email or making a call.

Good news - bad news

First the bad news .... they didn't have a committee vote on our bills today. This probably means that Judiciary Chairman Vallario does not intend to allow a vote on our bills. (Incidentally, Vallario was getting skewered on the Bill O'Reilly show last night for not allowing a committee vote on 'Jessica's Law'.)

The good news is ... they didn't have a committee vote on our bills today. This means that they did not kill our bills. If our cross-filed bills get through the Senate then they automatically come back over to the House. SB-910 and SB-911 (the 'Castle Doctrine' and 'Shall-Issue' bills respectively) are therefore still alive. They have a hearing scheduled in the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee next Tuesday, March 21st at 1 PM.

What now? Our job is harder now. We have to continue to keep pressure on the House Delegates while shifting our attention to supporting our bills through the Senate. An unfavorable vote in the House Judiciary kills our bill(s). We think Vallario will not schedule a vote unless/until our bills make it through the Senate (and maybe not even then), but he may take a vote at any time now. As long as Vallario delays a House committee vote we can work towards getting a Senate vote.

Actions:

Please email Senator Giannetti (Dem. 21) - he is the one vote we need to get a favorable vote in the Senate Committee. Include your name address and phone number, and tell him that you appreciate his help with both blocking the AWB and helping our good gun bills and that you'll help him get reelected. (He's facing strong opposition this year and will appreciate it.) An email will be most respectful of his time: john_giannetti@senate.state.md.us We're pretty sure he's on our side for self-defense. He just needs to know he has our support.

While you're at it .... you might email Senator Garagiola (Dem. 15) ... he's been an anti-gun guy (he was the sponsor of the AWB in the Senate last year) but seems to be moving away from gun-control.... this year he did NOT sponsor an AWB (and so there is no AWB bill in the Senate) ... also, he sponsored a Sunday Hunting bill ... seems like quite a change of heart. An email to him will help him to see that there are far more of us in favor of gun rights than those who are in favor of gun-control. rob.garagiola@senate.state.md.us

Phone Senator Frosh's (Dem. 16) office (410) 841-3124. Be very polite. He is Chairman of the Judicial Proceedings Committee and he's extremely anti-gun. In 1994 he cosponsored a bill to ban all handguns in Maryland! Being antagonistic will only cement his view that guns and gun owners are bad. Calling and being very polite in support of SB-910 and SB-911 will let him know that there is widespread support for our self-defense bills ... and might surprise him that we are educated and polite... not just the toothless tobacco-chewing rednecks that I imagine he pictures us as. We don't have a prayer of making him pro-gun ... but maybe we can soften his views on self-defense.

Write, call or email your State Senators. For these bills to pass the floor as well as the committee, all the Senators need to hear support from those in their Districts.

? Find your District and Elected legislators here:
http://mdelect.net/electedofficials/

? Contact info for Senators is here by name:
http://www.mdarchives.state.md.us/msa/mdmanual/05sen/html/senal.html

? Ask your District Senator to support Senate Bills 688, 870, 910 and 911.

Testifying this Tuesday in the Senate committee for SB-910 and SB-911 is not as important as it was for the House. It's always nice to have a large showing, but we think we already have a majority FOR in the Senate committee. However, it would be especially helpful to have women testifying. The Senate committee won't be much persuaded by men saying they need protection from criminals ... but they will be much more persuaded by women - who are more likely to be attacked and less able to fight back. If you testify and need any help or info please contact me. Written testimony must be turned in by 11 AM with 20 copies. I believe that to give oral testimony you will also have to sign up by 11 AM. The hearings start at 1 PM and may last past 5 PM.

Contributions: We've received another $150 in donations (not tax deductible) from Martin and Phil.

Memberships are only $10 - please join and help us.

"A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." - John Stuart Mill

- Henry Heymering, President

Maryland Shall Issue, Inc.
P.O. Box 314
Libertytown, MD 21762
240-446-6782
http://www.marylandshallissue.org
henry@marylandshallissue.org

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:51:22 PM EDT
Any idea how the Senate thing went tonight?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:32:43 PM EDT
Here's an update from MSI:

The Senate Hearings went very well yesterday. We had our bills (SB-910 "Castle Doctrine" and SB-911 "Shall-issue") heard early and no one spoke against them. (The Ceasefire and handgun violence folks stayed home... though Ceasefire submitted some written testimony with their usual misrepresentations about crime due to Texas permit holders.) We had maybe a dozen or more folks give excellent testimony in favor of the bills. The committee members seemed impressed. When we left, and the hearings for other bills were still going on, Senator Giannetti came out and talked to a group of us. He seems very clearly on our side, though no one asked him point blank if he'd vote FOR the bill if it comes up for a vote.... that's something we should have done.

Senator Giannetti said he expects that our bills will not get a committee vote. Chairman Frosh during the AWB hearings last year had LOTS of extra security in the hearing room (uniformed and non-uniformed state police etc.) and simply left the room turning the meeting over to his vice-chairman. This year there was only one security person, and Chairman Frosh heard our bills early in the hearing, and listened to all the testimony. Hey, it may not seem like much, but it's a big improvement. Nevertheless, Chairman Frosh is not likely to schedule a committee vote.

Senator Giannetti seemed to indicate that a vote was simply up to the chairman, and he said there was a big stack of bills 'in the drawer' that would not get a vote. (This is not unreasonable in that this session had 2800 bills while 3 years ago there were only 1900 ... but we want a vote on our bills!)

Scott, the aide for Senator Hooper (the Senate sponsor of these bills) tells me that if Giannetti commits to voting FOR then that makes a majority and Chairman Frosh could not refuse to have a vote.

I don't know if Senator Giannetti is correct or if Senator Hooper's aide is correct....

The "Committee Reporting Courtesy Date" was yesterday. That is the suggested date for all committee votes to have been taken. However, it is not a firm deadline ... we have essentially two days left to have an effect on this year's bills.

So.. it's down to the wire. The finish line is in sight. Do not quit now! Please make just 3 more calls:

Senator Frosh - 410-841-3124 -- ask him (or staff) politely - "Please take a vote on SB-910 and SB-911."

Senator Giannetti - 410-841-3141 -- ask him (or staff) politely - "If it comes up for a vote will you vote FOR SB-910 and SB-911?"

Delegate Vallario - 410-841-3488 -- ask him (or staff) politely - "Please take a vote on HB-12, 14, 529, 1163 and 1382."

Please do it NOW! ... there is no time to put it off. (If you can only call in the evenings that's OK ... most of them have answering machines.)

Remember to leave your name, address and phone number -- most especially if you are in their District.

- Henry Heymering, President

Maryland Shall Issue, Inc.
P.O. Box 314
Libertytown, MD 21762
240-446-6782
http://www.marylandshallissue.org
henry@marylandshallissue.org

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:32:37 PM EDT
I think the only way we're going to get CCW in MD is if we can get more concervatives in charge of the committees and keep a republican Governor. I hope O'maily gets sent packing.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:31:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/23/2006 5:39:29 AM EDT by cbburke]
Dunno if they will answer me, but i will give them a call again and again ...

if they have an email accoutn, I will be senting them emails since thats the best thing I can do....

HOpefully this pass, I will be in first in line to get this CCW and be happy to pack it ...
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:57:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/2/2006 1:58:21 PM EDT by cbburke]
BBT

what is the status on this right now ? i would love to see the CCW pass in Maryland...

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:21:55 PM EDT
MSI gave another report that said basically unless a miracal happens the bills are stalled in committee. Yep, we lost another year but it looks like the gun range bill might go through which is important too. I would really like to see CCW go through as well. I think what we need to do though is keep Erlich in office another 4 years and get some more conservatives in office in the Maryland house and senate. I say conservatives and not republicans because no a-days they're pretty much all the same. Republicrats.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:46:37 AM EDT
There is an inherent problem with the system when the people cannot get what they want. Or as my Grand Daddy used to say..."If you want something done right, DO IT YOURSELF"! Basically, the only way this stuff will ever get passed in this state is for it to somehow get put to a vote of the people. Short of that, I won't hold my breath!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:58:46 AM EDT
Top Top