Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2005 2:09:59 PM EDT
Im on light duty for Tendonitis for the next few weeks.  I have pt  this week, and a MRI for next month.  Probally going to get a cortisone shot for it.  I also have a bone out of place in my shoulder causing the pain  So looks like I'll be paying some doc visits for awhile.  Good thing for health care though. 15 dollar copays are nice.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:36:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Try to get it all done b-4 the new year rolls-in....that is if you'll have a new deductible to meet in '06.

Wish you good luck and a speedy recovery!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:07:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Best of Luck , Get WELL SOON
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:59:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:16:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Update, well PT sucked, but electro shock feels great.

My symptoms are worse now though, my elbow feels like I have hit on something and my fingers go numb.  So its a pinched nerve too.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:15:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:35:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
well PT sucked, but electro shock feels great.

all your childhood memories magically wiped away, along with most of your personality
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:39:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
well PT sucked, but electro shock feels great.

all your childhood memories magically wiped away, along with most of your personality

No not that kind
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:34:57 PM EDT
[#8]
PT isnt working, had a visit with the doc today, and I will going for a MRI sometime next week

I have lost motion in my arm, and the pain is more and more constant
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:52:30 PM EDT
[#9]
hopefully, with what they see, they can fix you up.  i've got a similar situation with my right ankle - lotsa pain and the MRI showed bone chips floating around in the joint area.  

i've taken a couple of treatments but its still there, not as bad but i am beginning to think i had better go ahead and have it cleaned out and get over it before spring.  

hang in there - hope you get it squared away.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:04:20 PM EDT
[#10]
My MRI is on Wednesday,  So I guess I get to lay in a tube with loud noises for 45mins

My doc seems to lean towards a bone spur causing the probs.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:49:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Where you gonna have your MRI? If it is at Forsyth Medical Center let me know and I'll make sure they treat you extra special.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:58:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Where you gonna have your MRI? If it is at Forsyth Medical Center let me know and I'll make sure they treat you extra special.

Gaston Memorial

I have a friend in Charlotte that works on them too.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:14:39 PM EDT
[#13]
MRI was completed today, I have a doctors appointment on Monday to find out whats going on in this bastard.

My arm is hurting like hell more often, so its getting worse
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:37:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Do you think it may be a pinched nerve in your arm?

Lex
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:02:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Can't belive that they are going to make you wait till Monday. Have they given you any good painkillers to deal with it till then?

How long was the MRI, out of couriosity? the last time I had one I fell asleep in the damn thing
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:26:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Can't belive that they are going to make you wait till Monday. Have they given you any good painkillers to deal with it till then?

How long was the MRI, out of couriosity? the last time I had one I fell asleep in the damn thing

Just alieve 2 pills every 12 hours for antiinflamitory.

It was around 30 mins I think.  They buzzed alot of noises while I was laying in a tube with my nose like 3 inches from touching the top.

My doc seems to think its a spur.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:47:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Is there a Doc in the house that can answer some questions?

I was given a cortizone shot under my Scapular.  The MRI showed that it was longer then usual and rubbing my tendons.  

The cortizone is just  cover up right?  Its actually feeling worse now

He said he doesnt want to have to do surgery on it, but cortizone will mess your muscles and crap right?

Any help?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:36:20 AM EDT
[#18]
I've had several Mad. They are good for a long time. You need to give the shot a couple of days to do it's thing. Here is a good explanation.

Cortisone Shots
From Jonathan Cluett, M.D.,
Your Guide to Orthopedics.
FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!
Treatment with steroid injections
What is cortisone?
Cortisone is a type of steroid that is produced naturally by a gland in your body called the adrenal gland. Cortisone is released from the adrenal gland when your body is under stress. Natural cortisone is released into the blood stream and is relatively short-acting.
Injectable cortisone is synthetically produced and has many different trade names (e.g. Celestone, Kenalog, etc.), but is a close derivative of your body's own product. The most significant differences are that synthetic cortisone is not injected into the blood stream, but into a particular area of inflammation. Also, the synthetic cortisone is designed to act more potently and for a longer period of time (days instead of minutes).

How does the cortisone injection help?
Cortisone is a powerful anti-inflammatory medication. Cortisone is not a pain relieving medication, it only treats the inflammation. When pain is decreased from cortisone it is because the inflammation is diminished. By injecting the cortisone into a particular area of inflammation, very high concentrations of the medication can be given while keeping potential side-effects to a minimum.

What are some common reasons for a cortisone injection?
Many conditions where inflammation is an underlying problem are amenable to cortisone shots. These include, but are certainly not limited to

Shoulder Bursitis
Arthritis
Trigger Finger
Tennis Elbow
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Does the cortisone injection hurt?
The shot can be slightly painful, especially when given into a joint, but in skilled hands it usually is well tolerated. Often the cortisone injection can be performed with a very small needle that causes little discomfort. However, sometimes a slightly larger needle must be used, especially if your physician is attempting to removed fluid through the needle prior to injecting the cortisone. Numbing medication, such as Lidocaine or Marcaine, is often injected with the cortisone to provide temporary relief of the affected area. Also, topical anesthetics can help numb the skin in an area being injected.

Are there side effects?
Yes. Probably the most common side-effect is a 'cortisone flare,' a condition where the injected cortisone crystallizes and can cause a brief period of pain worse than before the shot. This usually lasts a day or two and is best treated by icing the injected area. Another common side-effect is whitening of the skin where the injection is given. This is only a concern in people with darker skin, and is not harmful, but patients should be aware of this.

Other side-effects of cortisone injections, although rare, can be quite serious. The most concerning is infection, especially if the injection is given into a joint. The best prevention is careful injection technique, with sterilization of the skin using iodine and/or alcohol. Also, patients with diabetes may have a transient increase in their blood sugar which they should watch for closely.

Because cortisone is a naturally occurring substance, true allergic responses to the injected substance do not occur. However, it is possible to be allergic to other aspects of the injection, most commonly the betadine many physicians use to sterilize the skin.

Can I get a cortisone injection more than once?
Yes. There is no rule as to how many cortisone injections can be given. Often physicians do not want to give more than three, but there is not really a specific limit to the number of shots. However, there are some practical limitations. If a cortisone injection wears off quickly or does not help the problem, then repeating it may not be worthwhile. Also, animal studies have shown effects of weakening of tendons and softening of cartilage with cortisone injections. Repeated cortisone injections multiply these effects and increase the risk of potential problems. This is the reason many physicians limit the number of injections they offer to a patient.

Suggested Reading
Shoulder Bursitis

Tennis Elbow

Osteoarthritis

Other Treaments
Ice an Injury

Anti-Inflammatory Medications

Epidural Steroid Injections

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:49:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Mad, I'm assuming that since you're going to Gaston Memorial you're near Charlotte, I'm a massage therapist trained in Neruromuscular Therapy. Maybe I can help. The least we could do is release any hypertonic muscles that may be aggravating the situation. Best case is relief of the pain. Depends on you situation, your mileage may vary. Many seemingly complex problems turn out to be muscular tension in places you don't expect. For example, there are false carpal tunnel and false siatica problems cased by ischemic muscles in the neck and glute regions.
Sorry I didn't get to this earlier. Been off the board for a while.
Let me know if you're intrested.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:55:46 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Mad, I'm assuming that since you're going to Gaston Memorial you're near Charlotte, I'm a massage therapist trained in Neruromuscular Therapy. Maybe I can help. The least we could do is release any hypertonic muscles that may be aggravating the situation. Best case is relief of the pain. Depends on you situation, your mileage may vary. Many seemingly complex problems turn out to be muscular tension in places you don't expect. For example, there are false carpal tunnel and false siatica problems cased by ischemic muscles in the neck and glute regions.
Sorry I didn't get to this earlier. Been off the board for a while.
Let me know if you're intrested.

Carolina Orthopedics, CaroMount in Gastonia actually.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:42:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Well the shot of cortisone helped somewhat for a week, but now its back to the way it was, and since I have been favoring it, my right shoulder is starting to hurt

Im not going to say anything about the right till the left gets fixed, I have another appointment soon though to discuss whats next on the list for me.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:01:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Well the doc put me on Methylprednisolone

Lets see what this does to me.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:12:19 PM EDT
[#23]
That medication is a steroid, as an anti-inflammatory.  It should help reduce pressure on the nerves.  Good luck.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top