Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2003 8:28:47 PM EDT
Here's a cut 'n' paste from a GD post of mine:

We've always had open carry here in Missouri. Well, except for a 2-3 municipalities (St. Louis, a suburb of Kansas City, and some other place....I shall google posthaste and refine this post).

The best list I could find (thanks to Western Missouri Shooter's Alliance's 'Stay Out Of Jail Card 2002'):
St. Louis
Cape Giradeau
Grandview
N. Kansas City
Belton
Aurora
and most ominously, rounding out the list:
AND OTHERS

So who the heck knows what little ol' towns are included in the "and others" category?
Caveat Hoplite indeed!

Can anyone here add to this list?
Link Posted: 10/4/2003 10:06:27 PM EDT
[#1]
www.packing.org/state/index.jsp/missouri

State/local preemption law:
Date updated: Monday, September 22, 2003

Firearms legislation preemption by general assembly, exceptions.

Cities and counties may not regulate any aspect of firearms, except open carry and discharge within the jurisdiction. See the full statute for additional details.

I have heard that Nevada, MO does not allow open carry.

Dogma
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 8:52:10 AM EDT
[#2]
They actually don't need to have an ordinance to dis-allow open carry. It takes one person to call the Fuzz and file a complaint.

Please, don't open carry in Springfield! Gun confiscated, you harrassed (detained), no charges will be filed, but the weapon will be either lost, or take lots of $ and time to get back.

Remember the guy a few years ago that tried to open carry into St. John's Hospital up there?
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 1:42:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
They actually don't need to have an ordinance to dis-allow open carry. It takes one person to call the Fuzz and file a complaint.

Please, don't open carry in Springfield! Gun confiscated, you harrassed (detained), no charges will be filed, but the weapon will be either lost, or take lots of $ and time to get back.

Remember the guy a few years ago that tried to open carry into St. John's Hospital up there?

Yeah, I've open-carried here in Springfield and always assumed I was playing roulette with some assclown calling the cops on me.  Calling the Springfield PD  got me a "Why are you wanting to carry a gun around town?"  and a "If someone calls us about you, you WILL be talking to an officer"--which I took to mean that the cop would detain me, talk to me long enough to acertain my motives and then, hopefully, let me go!
What happened to the fellow that tried to open-carry at St. John's, Hot-Lead?
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 4:57:42 PM EDT
[#4]
As I said it was a few years ago. My crusty brain can't recall 100%.

I remember it was on the news over and over again. The guys lawyer was interviewed, explained open carry was legal, the guy was released and "not yet charged" (ie. "we f*cked-up, we can't charge him") last I heard.

Boy that was a while ago. I'm gettin' old...
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 7:21:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
www.packing.org/state/index.jsp/missouri

State/local preemption law:
Date updated: Monday, September 22, 2003

Firearms legislation preemption by general assembly, exceptions.

Cities and counties may not regulate any aspect of firearms, except open carry and discharge within the jurisdiction. See the full statute for additional details.

I have heard that Nevada, MO does not allow open carry.

Dogma

Good snag, Dogma!  Add another one to the list:

SECTION 23-27.      SAME – CARRYING LOADED PROHIBITED.[13]

No person shall carry, transport or have in possession any gun, revolver, pistol, shotgun, rifle or other firearm, loaded with any explosive and bullet, shot or other projectile, on the public streets, alleys or other public thoroughfares, nor in or upon publicly owned land in the City; provided, that nothing in this Section shall apply to those persons set out in Subsections (c) and (e) of Section 23-26. No person shall refuse to permit any police officer from inspecting any such firearm to determine if the same is so loaded. (Ord. No. 2582, § 2.)

So if you want to open carry in Nevada, you've got to have the weapon unloaded--which kinda defeats the purpose of the whole endeavour, dont'cha think?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top