Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/23/2003 7:52:15 AM EDT
As time closes near for the first shoot, I am trying to figure out how to make the next match even better. The cheapest way to make this happen is for folks to donate old items for use. Money donations are great too, because we will have to buy some items (regular supply of targets), plus pay for the items we have already bought.

And thank you to all that have already donated their time and effort into this project, whether it is cleaning up the range, or building target stands. Also to anyone who wishes to help with range safety and scoring on Aug 2, email me.

Here's what I am looking for:

1. If anyone has any interesting ideas for scenarios for the future shoots, email them to me. This will help keep the ideas for the courses of fire original and unique. If you need some inspiration, visit www.sportshooter.com/cof_library/. It's a great resource! The COF can range from realistic (home invasion/carjacking) to off the wall (zombie attack!). Include a verbal description plus a drawing of the layout of the course.

2. Targets. If anyone has any materials to donate, bring them on Aug. 2nd so we can use them then, or for the next match. If anyone has any cardboard IDPA or IPSC targets, bring them, because I accidentally ordered paper targets last time. We'll still use those, it's just easier with the cardboard cutouts. I think we have enough target stands built, but a few more could never hurt. Also if anyone has any reactive targets that they could loan for the duration of the match, that would be great! Also, if anyone can think up plans for reactive targets, (cheaply) that would be great for the future matches.

3. Barricades. This is our weak point right now. If I had money to spare, I'd put it into improving our barricdes. Right now, we are limited to what we could do with our materials at hand. By the next match, I would like to have a couple movable wall segments, built from plywood. Right now, were using cardboard. As you can imagine, this is easy to transplant and setup/take down, but it doesn't simulate reality very well, plus you can't lean on it or brace your rifle against it. With barricades, we need to learn to do a lot with very little, but I think we can pull it off with a handful of hard (plywood) wall segments, some black plastic tarp to simulate long wall segments, and cardboard for some small barricades.

So, if anyone has any large sheets of plywood, that would be helpful. Also 2x4s to brace them. And if anyone has large sheets of old plastic tarp from an old painting project, that would be great. Preferably something opaque (blk is nice), so you cannot see the targets through them.

Additionally real world objects would also be nice, we just have to remember that everything we use, will have to be transported back and forth each match. Use your imagination to think of what you have that you could bring, that would be fairly easy to transport. For example, big plastic drums, old beat up car (just kidding), etc...

Whew, that's all I think!

Remember, these shoots will only be as good as we make them. I have some ambitious ideas, and with the help of others, we can make MODCC something really great.

Thanks,

Chris

To contact me by email: cmfaber@hotmail.com
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 8:01:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/23/2003 8:32:11 AM EDT by HKocher]
Additionally, for folks submitting ideas for courses of fire, here are some elements you can use to make things interesting:

Use of proper cover
targets at different distances
Moving to multiple positions
Unusual shooting positions (prone, through a small opening, weak hand, etc.)
No-shoot targets
Manditory mag changes
Obscured targets (behind cover, behind no-shoot target, etc.)
Reactive targets (if we have the materials)
Some targets that are not visible from original shooting position.

etc....

Remember, we are limited in barricade materials, so if you submit a COF with a 'kill house' in it, we can't pull that off. But we should be able to build a couple wall sections, and improvise something less complicated for the future.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 8:28:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2003 8:29:14 PM EDT by HKocher]
I need to BTT this since I haven't gotten any replies on this...

Still need supplies, or else this next match will just be cardboard again.

Use your imagination guys, what can we use that will be easy to transport, yet stable enough to use as a barricade?

I know some IPSC shoots use those big blue (55 gal?) plastic drums, don't know where to find those empty though...
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 6:34:49 AM EDT
I am still trying to see what I can do here. I might have a trailer I can donate and some lumber too but it still ain't 100% yet.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 9:35:11 AM EDT
I can get some (maybe lots)of plastic drums. Most are white, semi-opaque. One problem; I have no truck! If someone in the Springfield area is interested in hauling them (and storing them afterwards-- don't want the wife to beat me!) let me know ASAP!

Also can get (smaller) cardboard drums, cardboard sheets, PALLETS of all shapes/sizes, and various other "junk". Anyone want to haul any of it?

Pallets would be very stable, just a 2x4 on the bottom to add support so they don't tip-over.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 1:22:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Hot-Lead:
I can get some (maybe lots)of plastic drums. Most are white, semi-opaque. One problem; I have no truck! If someone in the Springfield area is interested in hauling them (and storing them afterwards-- don't want the wife to beat me!) let me know ASAP!

Also can get (smaller) cardboard drums, cardboard sheets, PALLETS of all shapes/sizes, and various other "junk". Anyone want to haul any of it?

Pallets would be very stable, just a 2x4 on the bottom to add support so they don't tip-over.

Maybe, my trailer is in Leasburg off of hwy44. If anyone has a hitch and is in the general vicinity of Leasburg/Springfield we could meet somewhere, they could take the trailer to Springfield, load it up and bring it to the next meet where someone (Local to Rocky Forks I would guess) can keep it so that MoDCC can use it whenever needed.
Anyone got any ideas?
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 6:00:04 PM EDT
I could store the drums, and even the pallets. No problem there. And I live just 10 minutes from the range.

Only problem is that we could use an extra volunteer to help transport some of the stuff. I've got a truck, and could make two trips if needed. But between target stands, barricade material, and drums, we would definetely used someone else with a truck to help transport some of that stuff.

I already put up a post concerning this, but again if anybody is willing to help out feel free to email me.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 6:20:37 PM EDT
Shamus, great! All we need to do is figure up how much and of what we need, then how/who will get it there (GaryM?).

I have access to:

Standard 44"x48" pallets
A few smaller pallets
Plastic 55gal. drums
44"x48" cardboard

How can we use these? How many of each? Keep in mind, large quantities may not be available for the next shoot, so keep the list modest this time, as we can add on if we have to. Also, let's not overload Shamus' storage!

Any volunteer to assist Shamus in transport? If I had a truck my man, I would.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 7:44:16 PM EDT
Shamus, I'll be coming up to Columbia the night before so I won't be late like last time. My beater cop car is at your disposal for anything that will fit in it. The trunk is especially huge, "you can fit 4 bodies in there" (if you don't mind breaking some bones when you close the trunk).
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 5:48:58 AM EDT
I'm about an hour south of KC, and have reactive targets, target stands and a trailer to haul it with.

One thing that I noted on the MODCC website was an age minimum of 18 years. My 14 year old has been shooting M4s, MP5s, etc., with me since he was nine years old. Is that 18 year restriction some type of MO state law, or just a rule of the MODCC?

Thanks,

Bud
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 8:05:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Bud:
I'm about an hour south of KC, and have reactive targets, target stands and a trailer to haul it with.

One thing that I noted on the MODCC website was an age minimum of 18 years. My 14 year old has been shooting M4s, MP5s, etc., with me since he was nine years old. Is that 18 year restriction some type of MO state law, or just a rule of the MODCC?

Thanks,

Bud

Bud,

That was my rule. As with most of my rules, that one is flexible. Don't worry about it, your son is welcome to shoot with us.

Whatever you can bring would be greatly appreciated. Let me know ahead of time so I can plan for the course of fire.

You can email me at cmfaber@hotmail.com

Link Posted: 8/28/2003 8:42:15 AM EDT
Good call, Chris, I'm sure we all agree with you on this one. There are 14 year olds that can be trusted with AR15s and there are 41 year olds who just don't have the requisite maturity.

Wait a minute, was I just talking about maturity? Aww never mind...
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 8:51:59 AM EDT
Yeah, personally I don't trust guns around a guy who puts multiple .30-06 holes into a no-shoot target, so I think we may have to ban you Duke-Nukem...
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 10:01:02 AM EDT
Thanks for the clarification. We just moved up to Kansas from Texas, and are looking forward to getting settled in and knocking the rust off of our rifles.

I'll check the boy's extracurricular schedule and see if we can make it on the 6th. If so, I'll drop you an email with a specific list of what we have.

Hope to see you there.

Bud
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 7:53:02 PM EDT
I was wondering the same thing. My son is fifteen and was at the first shoot we had back in June. He has plenty of experience with firearms (I start them early ) and would like to try it out if possible. We won't be at this one but plan on attending the next. I'll leave it up to you Chris.

Thanks,
Eric
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 8:15:54 PM EDT
Eric, your son is also welcome to shoot with us!

As a rule of thumb, let's say that with a parent or guardian present, teenagers are welcome to participate. If a teenager arrives alone, we can judge on a case by case basis, maybe after a safety review.

Let me explain my reasoning behind that rule. First off, liability. I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know who is responsible if someone gets hurt at a match, nor do I want to find out the hard way. Of course if all the participants are 'adults' or accompanied by an adult, I'll feel a lot less worried. Second, I was a teenage shooter once, and I ashamed to say that I was not the most responsible one in the world. We'll all agree that there are some teens that are more responsible around guns than adults, however there are also a bunch of teens that are jackasses.

Here's the thing, noone will be checking IDs, so if someone is 16 or 17 on this board, noone will question you. However if we are running a match, and someone (non-AR15.com member) shooting on the other range wants to come join us, I want to be able to say NO if the person does not appear to be a responsible adult. Of course they are welcome to watch and learn what we are about, so they can participate at a later date when they learn proper gun safety.

In the end, we want everyone to be able to participate, but we also want everyone to be safe.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 9:11:53 PM EDT
Guys, it ain't looking to promising for me being able to bring drums and pallets. Got one more day if anyone can transport (I go back to work, and will not have access to this stuff until the Monday after the shoot!).

I'm gonna be there anyway, and I'll bring some extra cardboard regardless...
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 8:16:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By HKocher:
Eric, your son is also welcome to shoot with us!

Thanks Chris. We appreciate it. And, we also understand your position on this. The main things are to have a fun and SAFE event.

Eric
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 12:28:55 PM EDT
Heh, heh, heh! [SafetyNazi]Now, ve start mit der KarbineJugend! Mein evil plot ist in motion![/SafetyNazi]
Top Top