Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 9/14/2018 6:30:36 PM EDT
Anyone here work for the MO government? I have a job interview next week and I wanted to get an insight on benefits, pay schedules, etc. from someone not involved in the hiring process. Email if you can answer a few questions. A background in the court system would be a bonus.

Thanks

Dave

passdontpass @ gmail DOT com
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 9:33:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/16/2018 9:50:55 AM EDT by Bladeswitcher]
I emailed, but for the benefit of the class . . .

Most of that information is online. Here's a good place to start: Employee benefits
Also: Court employees

My wife was a state employee under the MOSERS system for 30 years. She's retired now. From what I've seen . . .

• Missouri state employees are among the worst paid state employees in the nation. (They may actually be the worst)
• State jobs are considered among the better jobs in Jefferson City (consider that in light of my first statement)
• Benefits are pretty good -- good medical, good leave policies, plenty of vacation
• Retirement system is VERY good
• State employees have some really sweetheart arrangements in retirement -- Lots of state employees are able to retire in their 50s. My wife is 56, retired from the state and now working on a second retirement

Some examples of retirement perks for state workers:
Retire at "80 and out" -- combination of age and years of service = 80. This may have changed. I think now it may be 90 and out
Backdrop -- work past your eligible retirement age and bank all the money the system would have paid into your retirement during those extra years. Many state employees receive a lump-sum backdrop check of $100,000 or more when they finally retire. This optional program is in addition to your normal retirement. (ETA: If I read their webpage correctly, this is not offered to new hires.)
If you retire prior to being eligible for social security, the state will pay you what you should be getting from social security until you reach the age when you can collect social security. -- Crazy I know, but it's true
Deferred compensation plans (the state equivalent of a 401K) are not penalized if you take a withdrawal prior to 59-1/2. You have to have left state employment, however. Yes, no matter what age you leave state employment you can tap into your "401K" without paying the 10 percent penalty.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 7:48:00 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bladeswitcher:
I emailed, but for the benefit of the class . . .

Most of that information is online. Here's a good place to start: Employee benefits
Also: Court employees

My wife was a state employee under the MOSERS system for 30 years. She's retired now. From what I've seen . . .

• Missouri state employees are among the worst paid state employees in the nation. (They may actually be the worst)
• State jobs are considered among the better jobs in Jefferson City (consider that in light of my first statement)
• Benefits are pretty good -- good medical, good leave policies, plenty of vacation
• Retirement system is VERY good
• State employees have some really sweetheart arrangements in retirement -- Lots of state employees are able to retire in their 50s. My wife is 56, retired from the state and now working on a second retirement

Some examples of retirement perks for state workers:
Retire at "80 and out" -- combination of age and years of service = 80. This may have changed. I think now it may be 90 and out
Backdrop -- work past your eligible retirement age and bank all the money the system would have paid into your retirement during those extra years. Many state employees receive a lump-sum backdrop check of $100,000 or more when they finally retire. This optional program is in addition to your normal retirement. (ETA: If I read their webpage correctly, this is not offered to new hires.)
If you retire prior to being eligible for social security, the state will pay you what you should be getting from social security until you reach the age when you can collect social security. -- Crazy I know, but it's true
Deferred compensation plans (the state equivalent of a 401K) are not penalized if you take a withdrawal prior to 59-1/2. You have to have left state employment, however. Yes, no matter what age you leave state employment you can tap into your "401K" without paying the 10 percent penalty.
View Quote
It is 90 and out now.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 12:27:12 PM EDT
Yes, new hires are 90 and out.

Plus, our insurance premiums will go up next month.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 7:17:46 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bladeswitcher:
View Quote
Both of my parents retired from the state under the old 80 and out plan. I don't know specifics, but you hear Bladeswitcher's first comment above thrown around a lot. I assume that it is true, but I've never attempted to verify. Regardless of the first comment, Bladeswitcher's second comment is definitely true.
Top Top