Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2006 5:36:59 PM EDT
I found a good deal on a handgun at Gander Mountain. Desert Eagle 44 mag for $589. I put it on hold and think I am going to buy it.

Of course the gun will have to be shipped to a WI FFL. My question is if I am buying a gun that has to be shipped to another state do I still have to pay MN sales tax?

My last few MN handguns purchases I did not pay sales tax, just the transfer fee. And whenever I order a gun from Gunlist or the EE and have it shipped to a WI FFL I do not pay sales tax.

The guy at the gun counter wanted me to pay $589 for the gun plus $35 transfer fee, plus sales tax that is $38.29 and my WI FFL will charge $25.

So this good deal will cost $687.29 which is ok for a Desert Eagle......but it is no longer a steal.

The guys at Gander a very friendly, but do not know that much about guns or sales.

Thanks for the info,

Chris
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:58:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Just get it transfered to the Gander Mt. in WI.  It would cost you nothing for them to transfer it.  Then it is just like normal.

It is done all the time from MN store to MN store so the customer does not have to drive all over, it is also how they find guns in their stores from other states and get them for customers around here and vise versa.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:00:26 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Of course the gun will have to be shipped to a WI FFL. My question is if I am buying a gun that has to be shipped to another state do I still have to pay MN sales tax?

If you are walking in to the store and paying for it in person, then you would pay Minnesota state tax, regardless of where it's being shipped.  If you pay for it over the phone, and it's being shipped out of state, then you shouldn't.  

However, Gander Mountain has stores in Wisconsin, and if the shipping address is Wisconsin, then they'd be obligated to charge you Wisconsin state sales tax.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:59:04 AM EDT
[#3]
me thinks eau claire has one.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:48:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I found a good deal on a handgun at Gander Mountain. Desert Eagle 44 mag for $589. I put it on hold and think I am going to buy it.

My last few MN handguns purchases I did not pay sales tax, just the transfer fee. And whenever I order a gun from Gunlist or the EE and have it shipped to a WI FFL I do not pay sales tax.

The guy at the gun counter wanted me to pay $589 for the gun plus $35 transfer fee, plus sales tax that is $38.29 and my WI FFL will charge $25.

So this good deal will cost $687.29 which is ok for a Desert Eagle......but it is no longer a steal.

The guys at Gander a very friendly, but do not know that much about guns or sales.

Thanks for the info,

Chris

No you don't pay sales tax. They are actually selling it to another dealer when they do this. So, Therefore no tax. Get a manager involved and tell them it's like transfering it to another Gander. Same thing. Ask if they pay tax on it from their suppliers. If you want to make them feel better get a check for it from your FFL derectly. Than they can't say a word. By the way you use the same FFL as I?? Initials JS
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:29:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the info,

Chris

No you don't pay sales tax. They are actually selling it to another dealer when they do this. So, Therefore no tax. Get a manager involved and tell them it's like transfering it to another Gander. Same thing. Ask if they pay tax on it from their suppliers. If you want to make them feel better get a check for it from your FFL derectly. Than they can't say a word. By the way you use the same FFL as I?? Initials JS

Actually, the FFL will just do the transfer, they don't buy the gun and re-sell it to you.  I have bought several rifles from out of state and I always paid for the rifle before it was shipped to the FFL, who then did the transfer and gave me my firearm.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:16:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought the gun today. $589 and it will be shipped to E.C. Gander Mountain, and I will not have to pay any transfer fee.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:56:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But, what it really looks like is that they bought it and you got it from them. I have bought many guns in MN, AR, AZ, NY, CN, NH, MA and the list goes on. Only a few times I got a dealer to say I can not sell you the gun. But, I can sell it to another dealer. Most dealers are laid back in this manner. But, You can run into a few that are. I have a friend that is a dealer in MN. And I asked him. He states that by law he can not except payment from me personally. If you go by the letter of the law. According to his lawyer. But, There is this grey area also that almost everyone seems to play. The Goverment doesn't really care as long as the transfer is actually done in your state and correctly.  Thisa is just what I was told by him and a few, very few other dealers.

Thanks for the info,

Chris

Actually, the FFL will just do the transfer, they don't buy the gun and re-sell it to you.  I have bought several rifles from out of state and I always paid for the rifle before it was shipped to the FFL, who then did the transfer and gave me my firearm.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:00:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the info,

Chris

But, what it really looks like is that they bought it and you got it from them. I have bought many guns in MN, AR, AZ, NY, CN, NH, MA and the list goes on. Only a few times I got a dealer to say I can not sell you the gun. But, I can sell it to another dealer. Most dealers are laid back in this manner. But, You can run into a few that are. I have a friend that is a dealer in MN. And I asked him. He states that by law he can not except payment from me personally. If you go by the letter of the law. According to his lawyer. But, There is this grey area also that almost everyone seems to play. The Goverment doesn't really care as long as the transfer is actually done in your state and correctly.  Thisa is just what I was told by him and a few, very few other dealers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top