Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2006 9:27:13 AM EDT
How old to purchase a stripped AR15 lower?
I know it is considered a regulated weapon, and thus subject to the 8 day waiting period.
Does the purchaser have to be 21?
I know this is so for handguns (also regulated weapons) but an AR15 is a long gun, so I figured 18.
Could you help me lay this mystery to rest? I have been getting conflicting answers.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:44:32 AM EDT
[#1]
21 for all regulated weapons.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:44:34 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
How old to purchase a stripped AR15 lower?
I know it is considered a regulated weapon, and thus subject to the 8 day waiting period.
Does the purchaser have to be 21?
I know this is so for handguns (also regulated weapons) but an AR15 is a long gun, so I figured 18.
Could you help me lay this mystery to rest? I have been getting conflicting answers.

Strip lower is 21, 7 day waiting
18+ can buy a AR15 with a HBAR, cash 4473 carry
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:50:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Would I be able to get a Bushmaster 20inch A3 that is no-ban (i.e. flash hider, and bayo lug) as a un-regulated firearm?
Could I get some other options here?
This whole regulated weapon thing really burns my ass.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:18:04 AM EDT
[#4]
It would have to be in an HBAR configuration.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:05:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It would have to be in an HBAR configuration.

Does that just mean an HBAR bbl (i.e. it could have the flash hider and bayo lug as well) or does it have to be a neutered HBAR?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:28:15 AM EDT
[#6]
MD law as far as I've ever seen does not regulate by features - it has a named rifles list.  So flash hider etc is not the issue.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:57:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
MD law as far as I've ever seen does not regulate by features - it has a named rifles list.  So flash hider etc is not the issue.

Correct!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:10:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct!

So anything rollmarked "HBAR" is good to go?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:55:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I think only Colts are rollmarked HBAR, and only Colt's are named in the law.  However, MSP has supposedly said, and dealers generally follow, that a heavy barreled AR regardless of mfr is treated like a rifle.

When I bought my Bushie from Atlantic Guns in Rockville though they said because it was 16" and fluted they didn't treat it like an HBAR & made me do the wait.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:39:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I have talked to the state police in Waterloo, and they said as long as it says HBAR on the rifle, it is non regulated.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top