Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2008 12:05:29 PM EDT
Just a little background about me, I am an active LEO working here in NY (Yes a Yankee ) and have taken several Pistol, edged weapon and a few other courses outside the Department. Basically I love training. I was looking to get some additional training in pretty much everything from Empty Hand to Shotgun and had some vacation time (and an understanding Wife ) so I did a pretty thorough search for an instructor/institution that would fit my needs. My buddy recommended Mathew over at MAST and lets just say I would have been pretty dumb not to consider this individuals recommendation so I gave Matthew a call. After talking to him for a while I decided he was definitely the man for the job. We decided on an "Advanced Combined" course which basically means it was geared towards my needs on the job and at home. It was a 4 day course.

On Day 1 we started with safety (Obviously) then moved on to basic skill sets with such things as mental readiness and mindset which in MY personal opinion is the most important. Then we moved on to firearm basics such as grip, stance, trigger control, draw, Emergency/Tac reloads, malfunction drills etc. After Mathew had an idea were I stood things started getting interesting extremely fast!

Days two to four were absolutely amazing to say the least. Its not even that I learned all new things. I learned slight variations in currently known techniques that dramatically improved their effectiveness. I would have flown all the way over there only for that. Despite this, I learned many techniques which I never learned before which I have already used on the job and lets just say they work quite well. Mathew already helped me stop more then one situation on the spot without having to escalate the use of force when normally I would have been forced to.  

As far as Pistol I started with lets just say not such great groups even from a static position (for me as I am a perfectionist) but by day three I was shooting 3"X5" index cards while moving with quite some external "pressure."

Day Four was the shoot house which put everything together. Wow was that an eye opener! One second your in the house dealing with a regular situation next thing you know you partner is gone, your getting shot at (Airsoft with full safety gear) you can barely breath due to the smoke and you cant leave without your partner (Well unless your a quitter .) That was just ONE of the multiple scenarios in the house.

Bottom line is if there is anyone wanting to take any type of defensive course, especially if your from the Houston area give Mathew from MAST a call, you will not be disappointed! I'm talking to Civilians and MOS as the entire time I used a regular pancake holster due to my needs. Also, in the house we focused a lot on home defense in addition to team and LE oriented scenarios.

I'm obviously not a writer but I can write forever about the class. Also, I just got back from a rather long tour so sorry if some parts aren't too coherent. I can work sleep deprived but definitely cant write!
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 12:19:42 PM EDT
[#1]

Originally Posted By riese
Days two to four were absolutely amazing to say the least. Its not even that I learned all new things. I learned slight variations in currently known techniques that dramatically improved their effectiveness. I would have flown all the way over there only for that. Despite this, I learned many techniques which I never learned before which I have already used on the job and lets just say they work quite well.

Example?
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 1:13:18 PM EDT
[#2]
One example which relates to empty hand work is a "Come Along." My way worked but with a bit of tweaking it makes it much easier to initiate. I have a ton of these examples. Thing is without being in person its pretty hard to explain these things. Even though this is one of the most basic moves I used Come Alongs as most people in the field know what I'm talking about.

As far as edged weapon disarmament I used to use a technique similar to his but by changing one thing it makes it MUCH easier to control the situation during the initial action which is the most dangerous part. I rather not get into specifics as telling someone in writing to "grab this then do that" can get someone hurt, or worse.

I'm going to bed know but when I get up can get more into it if you want me too. Also, you can IM me with any questions.

BTW: I know how these boards work with the conspiracy theorists. I have absolutely NO affiliation with the institution just a happy Trainee.

Edited to add the Conspiracy part.
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 1:58:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey riese,
Thank you for the write up on your course from MAST.
I have taken five courses from them and they are always great.
Take care,
endersgame
Link Posted: 6/24/2008 6:23:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Its the least I could do. I only wish I lived closer or actually made a decent salary where I could come more often! Despite this I will definately be back for more.

Quoted:
Hey riese,
Take care,
endersgame
Link Posted: 6/24/2008 6:33:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Its the least I could do. I only wish I lived closer or actually made a decent salary where I could come more often! Despite this I will definately be back for more.

Quoted:
Hey riese,
Take care,
endersgame

See you in NY!

thanks for the AAR,

MB
MAST Solutions
www.mastsolutions.com
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 5:59:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Just a little background about me, I am an active LEO working here in NY (Yes a Yankee ) and have taken several Pistol, edged weapon and a few other courses outside the Department. Basically I love training. I was looking to get some additional training in pretty much everything from Empty Hand to Shotgun and had some vacation time (and an understanding Wife ) so I did a pretty thorough search for an instructor/institution that would fit my needs. My buddy recommended Mathew over at MAST and lets just say I would have been pretty dumb not to consider this individuals recommendation so I gave Matthew a call. After talking to him for a while I decided he was definitely the man for the job. We decided on an "Advanced Combined" course which basically means it was geared towards my needs on the job and at home. It was a 4 day course.

On Day 1 we started with safety (Obviously) then moved on to basic skill sets with such things as mental readiness and mindset which in MY personal opinion is the most important. Then we moved on to firearm basics such as grip, stance, trigger control, draw, Emergency/Tac reloads, malfunction drills etc. After Mathew had an idea were I stood things started getting interesting extremely fast!

Days two to four were absolutely amazing to say the least. Its not even that I learned all new things. I learned slight variations in currently known techniques that dramatically improved their effectiveness. I would have flown all the way over there only for that. Despite this, I learned many techniques which I never learned before which I have already used on the job and lets just say they work quite well. Mathew already helped me stop more then one situation on the spot without having to escalate the use of force when normally I would have been forced to.  

As far as Pistol I started with lets just say not such great groups even from a static position (for me as I am a perfectionist) but by day three I was shooting 3"X5" index cards while moving with quite some external "pressure."

Day Four was the shoot house which put everything together. Wow was that an eye opener! One second your in the house dealing with a regular situation next thing you know you partner is gone, your getting shot at (Airsoft with full safety gear) you can barely breath due to the smoke and you cant leave without your partner (Well unless your a quitter .) That was just ONE of the multiple scenarios in the house.

Bottom line is if there is anyone wanting to take any type of defensive course, especially if your from the Houston area give Mathew from MAST a call, you will not be disappointed! I'm talking to Civilians and MOS as the entire time I used a regular pancake holster due to my needs. Also, in the house we focused a lot on home defense in addition to team and LE oriented scenarios.

I'm obviously not a writer but I can write forever about the class. Also, I just got back from a rather long tour so sorry if some parts aren't too coherent. I can work sleep deprived but definitely cant write!

I'll be in your neighborhood in August.  Meeting with a sponsor and doing some training.  Will you be around?  

MB
MAST Solutions
www.mastsolutions.com
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 1:18:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

thanks for the AAR,

MB
MAST Solutions
www.mastsolutions.com

I see from your website that your introductory classes for handgun/carbine are about $250. It states that between 400 and 550 rounds of ammo will be used. I assume the tuition does not include said ammunition? If it does than that is mighty fine deal
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 1:32:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks for the AAR,

MB
MAST Solutions
www.mastsolutions.com

I see from your website that your introductory classes for handgun/carbine are about $250. It states that between 400 and 550 rounds of ammo will be used. I assume the tuition does not include said ammunition? If it does than that is mighty fine deal

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that ammo won't be included with tuition.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 5:31:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I have taken several classes with Matt.  I will continue to take more classes with MAST in the future.  I did a private session with Matt today where we focused on my accuracy.  My accuracy showed a vast improvement at the end of the session.  Anyone who is interested in training needs to give MAST a call.
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 7:26:18 AM EDT
[#10]
My girlfriend just took his level 1 handgun class and loved it. She said Matt teaches in a way that even inexperienced shooters can understand.

I've been talking to Matt and trying to get enough people together for an LEO only class and I think I have finally managed it. The lesson plans look great, but getting police officers to part with their own money for training is like pulling teeth!

Ammo is definitely not included in the tuition. GT distributors in Austin has the best prices I've found on bulk training ammo.
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 8:04:19 PM EDT
[#11]
WOW, sounds like I missed a great class maybe next time
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 11:03:54 AM EDT
[#12]
height=8
Quoted:
I've been talking to Matt and trying to get enough people together for an LEO only class and I think I have finally managed it. The lesson plans look great, but getting police officers to part with their own money for training is like pulling teeth!

JAW3, Riese - are you guys going to make it down to the Aug. LEO class?! Look forward to seeing you there

http://www.mastsolutions.com/classes.html
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 11:39:23 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

JAW3, Riese - are you guys going to make it down to the Aug. LEO class?! Look forward to seeing you there

Any more details on this class?? I'd like to attend.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 4:24:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any more details on this class?? I'd like to attend.

MAST™ Solutions has scheduled a LE only Advanced Carbine Class.  Individuals from various PD's have spearheaded a two day course and we wanted to let you know about it.

MAST™ Solutions has incorporated Casualty Care / Immediate Responder to our advanced curriculum.  If you carry a med kit bring it.  If you don’t, at the end of class you will have an opportunity to get one.  MAST™ Solutions will be bringing additional items for you to T&E from some of our many sponsors.  

If you have questions please let the MAST team know, and thank you in advance.  

The dates are: 2nd, 3rd August 2008
Location: American Shooting Center, for directions refer to www.amshootcenters.com/index.php?page_id=2
COST: $325.00

You must be Patrol Carbine Qualified through your department

BRING:

Your duty rig and if possible a Patrol Car for “vehicle drills.”  We will have a crown Vic there as well.
Carbine weapon sling / transitions drills
Weapon mounted light is optional
handheld light
Minimum of 6 magazines for Carbine
Minimum of 4 magazines for handgun
Cleaning kit
Water or other hydration
knee and elbow pads are optional
Ammo for your primary and secondary

Please respond via email to pre-register ASA you can.  We have a maximum limit of 16 officers for this training.  

Best,

MB
MAST Solutions
www.mastsolutions.com

Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:40:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Will there be any tactical driving taught in this class?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:46:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Andre3K,

I'll be there. I should have 5 other guys from Fondren with me, maybe 6. I put in too much time trying to pull people together and get this class going to miss it. I'm trying to find someone who will let us use a Crown Vic to shoot from. I may have to rent one.

Get the word out to as many HPD officers as you can and maybe we can see what division has the best shooters.

mainline007,
  I don't think there is anywhere near American Shooting Center where we could the driving even if Matt is willing. Also, most of us could not get a department vehicle for outside training.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:58:06 PM EDT
[#17]
 Jaws3, thanks for the info. I have been looking for some driving lessons in the houston area. Still sounds like a great class. I hope to be able to make it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:55:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
 Jaws3, thanks for the info. I have been looking for some driving lessons in the houston area. Still sounds like a great class. I hope to be able to make it.

Check into the BYOB as we do plenty of driving in that course.  If you would like an ARR posted let me know.

John Lindsey will be back for another BYOB in a few weeks as well as we are planning a SUTRA class for an LE Agency.

Best,

MB
MAST Solutions
www.mastsolutions.com
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:26:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Looking forward to a BYOB class I was out of the state for the last one. Keep me informed on a date when this is going to happen.
Link Posted: 7/29/2008 6:50:39 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Looking forward to a BYOB class I was out of the state for the last one. Keep me informed on a date when this is going to happen.

We will be having a BYOB and an LE only SUTRA class this late August.  John Lindsey will be home for his 30 day leave and we will be working on both schedules.  

This is an outstanding class and if you would like the AAR's please let us know.  

Best,

MB
MAST Solutions
www.mastsolutions.com
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 6:18:14 PM EDT
[#21]
August is finally here! Unit is prepping for some proper training by a Southern Boy! Looking forward to seeing you soon Mathew!

Riese
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 6:46:04 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We will be having a BYOB and an LE only SUTRA class this late August.  John Lindsey will be home for his 30 day leave and we will be working on both schedules.  

This is an outstanding class and if you would like the AAR's please let us know.  

Best,

MB
MAST Solutions
www.mastsolutions.com

The byob class looks interesting, it's open to us civillians too right? :D
Link Posted: 8/4/2008 10:22:29 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Best,

MB
MAST Solutions
www.mastsolutions.com

The byob class looks interesting, it's open to us civillians too right? :D

Yes this class is open to civilians.  The new schedule should be up this week.  Thanks.

MB
MAST Solutions
www.mastsolutions.com
Link Posted: 8/12/2008 4:45:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I tried to access the web site and could not, any information on the BYOB class as in when and where?
Link Posted: 8/13/2008 3:53:59 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I tried to access the web site and could not, any information on the BYOB class as in when and where?

Shoot House is next on the schedule...we should have it back up with trued up dates by next week Monday.  Depends on the Web Guy!!  BYOB is in planning with John.  Will update via email or IM if you would like.  

Thank you for your patience as we are taking on some new individuals, and program implementation qualification course.  

Best,

MB
MAST Solutions
www.mastsolutions.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top