Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2003 6:12:16 PM EDT
Fellow PRK-ians

If you had to pick between one of the two detachable magizine center-fire rifles. ( only two availiable in the republic)  which one would you go with?- I cant hide that much $ from the misses to get both.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 6:33:27 PM EDT
[#1]
i would get the M1a you need a good .308 rifle.
i think the m96 is a .223 , hope i am right.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 6:38:14 PM EDT
[#2]
yeah - waht he said.  it all comes down to caliber.  

what do you need/want the gun for?  Which caliber will better suit your needs?

I like them both.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 6:51:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm getting my M96 Recon this weekend.I had the same choice,M1A or the Recon?I chose the Recon for accuracy,looks,and dependability.A little pricey but worth every penny.Now I need to get an M1A.Damm, I need to stop buying these things!Do they have group therapy for buying guns????
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 9:05:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a .308 rig-RemyPSS.  The next buy will be for "plinkin".  

I am leaning toward the M96, Pluses, relaiable,unbreakable. magizines a plenty, looks like loads of fun.
M1A- good all-round rifle.  I can take in pig hunting, and has longer-legs.  A little easier on the wallet.

Which one is more accurate out of the box?
Where did you pic yours up RealWar?  Please give us range reports when you have the opportunity.- Thanks
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 10:59:51 PM EDT
[#5]
quick question, how are u getting the m96 in california?
Doesn't the pistol grip and the detachable mag make it illegal?
or are u going to take off the pistol grip?
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 11:34:37 PM EDT
[#6]
The m96 is not on the list of banned semi auto rifles.

So they can sell them in california without a pistol grip.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 2:14:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Which is going to make using it a pain in the butt. Trust me, I tried it with my FAL and gave up and went with the stripper clip upper and fixed magazine.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 2:50:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I was serioulsy considering a rifle from DSA without a PG, but yes firing a .308 rifle without one does not sound comfortable.

But all thats behind me as im in the market for a BFG-50 :)

Link Posted: 8/8/2003 4:03:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes your right I'm getting the rifle without the pistol grip and magazine.Oh darn,what would you do?I have read on these boards that when shooting on private land you can use your evil features.BLM says you can use assault rifles on BLM land as long as the rifle is a registered.I would think as long as your safe and not causing trouble you should be okay to plink with no hassles?
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 4:23:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which is going to make using it a pain in the butt. Trust me, I tried it with my FAL and gave up and went with the stripper clip upper and fixed magazine.

i agree,
it just seems ghetto shooting something like a fal without the pistol grip...
but hey for a blast and cheap mags, how could u resist?

Cool realwar, u have balls my friend.
i would never ever have in possession the pistol grip in the house or anywhere else for that matter....
But if i lived in the middle of nowhere instead of LA county, then i'd guess i'd own some harry stuff..

Please do give us a headsup on how u like the recon WITHOUT the grip..
i wouidl definitley like to know if its fun without something to hold onto properly..heh
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 7:10:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I definitely will let you guys know if the M96 Recon is worth it Without the pistol grip.I'm getting my 1919A4 soon and will also let you guys know how this is.I'm pretty sure I will be satisfied on both.I just wish they would make a Galil clone or something?I wanty really bad.For serious buyers I can probably arrange a shoot for you to try out the M96 Recon without the pistol grip?
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 10:16:47 PM EDT
[#12]
1919a4...
drool........................
Do u plan on 30.06 or .308?

Have u seen the ma duece semis? Oh what i would do for one....with a nice tripod that is...
:D
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 7:02:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Gunsmithdude, It's coming set-up in .308 and I also purchased an new 8mm complete barrel set-up for it.The 8mm stuff is way cheaper to shoot and makes a louder bang.U can use the .308 links even for shooting the 8mm stuff.I'm really excited about getting this thing and have heard nothing but good stories about shooting the 1919A4.I have been lurking on M2HB.net and am already eyeballing an M2 Deuce.Once these things are gone the prices are going to skyrocket so this stuff is mainly an investment for me.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 11:25:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Sounds like a beautiful setup realwar,

btw, how many arms and legs are u sacraficing for all these firearms?
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 10:16:22 AM EDT
[#15]
If you put the pistol grip on the M96 you will be in possession of an unregistered AW reguardless of being on private land.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 1:00:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Bkinzey,your right about that.I would never put a grip on the M96 Recon,plus you can't even find a grip even if you wanted to put one on.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 3:10:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm an idiot.  I didn't even thing that the M96 wouldn't have the pistol grip.

get the M1A - what use would the M96 be w/ no pistol grip?
Link Posted: 8/12/2003 11:27:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Good for whacking home invaders?
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 7:40:52 PM EDT
[#19]
aluminum softball bad...  cheaper and easier to explain.  :D
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 1:26:57 PM EDT
[#20]
The question still hasn't been answered.  What do you plan on using this rifle for?  First thing you need to decide is what round you want to be firing.  If you want to go with 5.56mm, then you can go with a FAB-10 AR-15 clone, RA M96, Ruger Mini-14, etc.  If you want a .308 you can go with a FAL, M1A, etc.  After you get the round you want to fire figured out, then choose your rifle.  You're about to spend some money on it so take your time and plan ahead.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 1:28:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Oops, I see you said plinking.  Why buy such an expensive rifle just for plinking?  Why not go with a Ruger Mini-14 or Mini-30?  If you're just going to be "plinking" the M1A will be more pleasant, comfortable, etc. than an M96 w/o a pistol grip.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 10:46:21 AM EDT
[#22]
I disagree that the M96 is worthless without a pistol grip. If the CADOJ had required Robinson to remove the grip stud also (and redesign the safety I suppose), THEN it would be a pain to fire this weapon. Contrary to how the RA website shows how to fire the rifle, I place my middle finger on the stud, thumb over the stock - so the trigger is easier to reach. My hands are average size and it's not a problem at all.

My only complaints with the rifle are the "muzzle break" holes in the top of the barrel put a lot of flash right in your sight picture and the lack of a bolt catch.

OTOH - All your AR mags. now have a second friend. If you have a lot, this greatly offsets the price of the M96 since you won't go broke buying up another good supply of magazines.
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 2:45:22 AM EDT
[#23]
So if they sell the M96 w/out pistol grip then DSA should ship any SA58 model to Kalifornistan w/out pistol grip too right?

Then you can go to the Nevada desert, put the pistol grip on and blast the shit out of it and there shouldn't be a problem, right?

Oh ya, I would get the M1A over the M96 first.  At least you don't have to contort your hand to shoot the damm thing.
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 9:18:38 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
So if they sell the M96 w/out pistol grip then DSA should ship any SA58 model to Kalifornistan w/out pistol grip too right?

Then you can go to the Nevada desert, put the pistol grip on and blast the shit out of it and there shouldn't be a problem, right?

Oh ya, I would get the M1A over the M96 first.  At least you don't have to contort your hand to shoot the damm thing.

You can do the same thing with an M96 - put a pistol grip on it, go to Nevada and "blast the shit out of it".

Carpal tunnel syndrome has yet to set in on my hands even after firing thousands of rounds from my neutered M96. But I would agree that it's best to go try one on for feel before buying it. I don't have to contort my hands to shoot it but some may.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top