Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2005 9:13:24 AM EDT
Whats up dudes? I went into my usual place to get my parts/weapons and I asked If they had any 14.5 inch bushy M4 uppers on spot or to order. The guy is really cool there but hit me with the you'd have to go through the ATF bs and it would be like 3 month wait etc. Whats up with that? Anyway to order anything class 3 or under 16 inchs in CT with ease? Im just trying to keep my collection growing hanks-Evolve
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 10:03:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Hate to give a short answer but: No
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 11:45:50 AM EDT
[#2]
DAMNIT, I def cant settle for a 16 inch since it will be used as my home defense rifle. Anyway to get 11.5 inch - 14.5 inch at allllllllllllllllllllllllll? the whole 3 month wait just leaves a sour feeling with me.
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 2:34:03 PM EDT
[#3]
A 14.5" upper is just a "part" and can be ordered directly through Bushmaster and shipped to your house.
HOWEVER: if you have an AR lower that is not a registered machine gun or short barrel rifle, you can be arrested for constructive possession of an unreg. SBR if caught.

If you have a preban lower, you order or have a gunsmith [Joe's in New Briatin] permanently attach a longer flash hider to it to make the 16" legal limit, if you have a post ban lower, order one without the bayo lug and with a permanently attached muzzle brake.

Or just register it and wait, but the post/pre laws still apply in CT regardless of a fed registration.

Link Posted: 5/13/2005 3:07:42 PM EDT
[#4]
In CT your "M-4" would need a fixed stock; no bayo lug, no externally threaded muzzle.

I am assuming you are referring to a semi-auto only rifle, such as a Bushmaster, for example.

The "14.5" bbl you refer to is actually considered to be 16" by ATF(E) if it has an inch and a half of permanently attached muzzle compensator.

example: Bushmaster "AK shorty" carbine with fixed stock - is perfectly legal in CT and sold
every day. (The barrel on this rifle is literally 14.5" of actual, rifled barrel - proper, BUT because the "AK-74" style muzzle break is over 1.5" in length and is not readily detachable - it is considered ATF(E) compliant - AW ban or not) Bushmaster advertises it that way in their catalog.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 8:42:25 AM EDT
[#5]
If he has or gets a preban, he could add the collapsible stock, bayo lug and flash hider.

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 8:31:25 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
DAMNIT, I def cant settle for a 16 inch since it will be used as my home defense rifle. Anyway to get 11.5 inch - 14.5 inch at allllllllllllllllllllllllll? the whole 3 month wait just leaves a sour feeling with me.

*shrugs*  Deal with it.......   like everyone else has to.....

Those are federal laws.  It has nothing to do with connecticut, beyond our own AW "ban" rules.

You want a short-barreled rifle, you do the paperwork and pay the $200 tax, plain and simple.  

It's NO different in any other state.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top