Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2006 11:23:12 PM EDT
What are the laws against purchasing a Springfield M1A in Maryland? Are they the same as AR-15s?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:12:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Here is the down in dirty on any rifle purchase in MD the way I understand it. Someone correct me if I am wrong but, barrel as to be more than 16", overall length more than 26" and magazine capacity can't be more than 20. So you should be good to go on the M1.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:17:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Just check if the Springfield M1A is on the list of "regulated" weapons.

If it is, then you have a 7-day wait and some extra paperwork in addition to the 4473.

If not, then you fill out your 4473 and take the rifle home with you that day.

EDIT: Looks like the M1A is on the list. See for yourself.

MDSP Regulated Weapons List

So you'll have to do the 7-day wait thing plus the extra paperwork.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:17:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Yup, have to wait on the M1A.  Like most laws in Maryland, makes no sense.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:59:59 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Here is the down in dirty on any rifle purchase in MD the way I understand it. Someone correct me if I am wrong but, barrel as to be more than 16", overall length more than 26" and magazine capacity can't be more than 20. So you should be good to go on the M1.

It is a minimun of 16", not more than.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:14:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is a minimun of 16", not more than.

Ok, I guess I worded that poorly, yes you are correct 16" and over is fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top