Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2006 6:58:19 PM EDT
I have been eye balling the M1A scout for sometime, I was wondering if there is a place in oregon perfer valley area where a guy can try out one before investing in a rile like this? 1500 is a little steep.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 7:02:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 7:16:23 PM EDT
[#2]
thank you for the offer. how do you like your M1A? a guy suggested to me that a FAL is cheaper and better. I have never handled either( except in a gun shop) I'm a AK and AR guy.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 7:23:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 7:39:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
thank you for the offer. how do you like your M1A? a guy suggested to me that a FAL is cheaper and better. I have never handled either( except in a gun shop) I'm a AK and AR guy.

A Fal can be cheaper, and better is a matter of opinion, the FAL works better dirty, but generally the ergonomics are worse and the M1A has FAR superior sights, there is a lot to this debate.  I have 2 of each.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 7:58:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I was browseing the M1a forum I found a few statment that a 18in M1a is inferrior to the 22in. in what manner of speaking? I also saw the SOCOM not what I want. but the 16in barrel is there a differcence in accaracy? I asked in the M1a forum but have gotten very few responses.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 8:20:49 PM EDT
[#6]
My wife may own a Pink AR, but i am kind of a purist on older style rifles like m1a.  I think that the longer barrel ones with the wood stocks are the cats pajamas.  I just like the smooth, classy lines of a tradional style M1A.  I think that making it kind of a EBR type thing is alright, but if i had my choice i would rock it old school on one of them.  But i spose the carbine type ones have their place.  

as far as accuracy goes, I am sure that it will decrease a bit with the shorter barrel, but i am not a gun expert.  The other thing with the 308 round, is you need a certain amout of length for the powder to burn properly and the bullet to get upto speed.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 8:41:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I was browseing the M1a forum I found a few statment that a 18in M1a is inferrior to the 22in. in what manner of speaking? I also saw the SOCOM not what I want. but the 16in barrel is there a differcence in accaracy? I asked in the M1a forum but have gotten very few responses.

Port pressure and gas piston/cylinder timing are different with the shorter barrel.  I've heard of cycling problems with the shorter barrels.

In the US, there is a larger base of experience working with the M14.  Parts availability right now is about the same - lots of military surplus (and some new manufacture) parts available for the FAL.  Original GI parts for the M14 are drying up - the US military has bough back a lot of stuff they originally surplused.  A lot of new production M14 parts are cast replicas, which aren't as good as the originals - either dimensionally, or in strength (or worse yet - both).

One down side with the shorter barrel is that muzzle blast is louder (higher muzzle pressure).  This can cause you (the shooter) to flinch on firing.  The higher pressure also can cause the bullet to tip more on firing, resulting in more dispersion downrange.  However, the shorter barrel is also stiffer.  If I had to rate the factors affecting accuracy in order, the list would read as follows:

• Blast induced flinch

• Bullet dispersion

• Barrel stiffness

The shorter barreled rifles might be great for clearing rooms - if the bullet don't get you, the muzzle flash and blast will!  
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 8:45:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 10:39:15 PM EDT
[#9]
mmmmmm the M14, my very favorite.

My first home in the internet was the now defunct Battlerifles.com

I’ve got two M1As now and absolutely love them. There is still some stuff I’d like to change and also eventually pick up a third, but damn they’re great guns.

As compared to FALs, it’s apples to oranges, it’s all fruit (7.62mm). It ends there though. I think they’re both great rifles, just extremely different.

Where in the "valley" are you?

I’m in Salem and shoot out at the ARPC. Extremely busy for the next couple weeks, but we could probably work something out and get you to shoot one.

We need some pics...

My pappy with his new M14 in the Marine Corps.  

Me with a rental at the ARPC Machine Gun Shoot... who says M14s aren’t controllable?

One of my M1As with an A2 and M4gery.

My Attempt at cool gun pics, my other M1A.

Since you’re looking at the Scout…

First ideas on the EBR (Enhanced Battle Rifle)

Front end of the EBR

I love these rifles.

Link Posted: 8/17/2006 11:04:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 11:24:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Shameless Sportsman's plug:

We have the SOCOM 16's with and without the VLTOR forend.  The one without the rail has the Scout scope mount, the VLTOR has the full rail...

Both are damn expensive IMHO.

/Shameless Sportsman's Plug
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 10:49:04 AM EDT
[#12]
A M-1A is a great gun I got a Polytech M-14 thats never faild me. They are in my opinion are a great gun best of the .308 7.62x51 NATO class of riles. The FAL is ok but lacks the pinpoint accarcy of the M-1A. Bothe are good rifle though Both are still inservice with US Spec Ops (M-14) and the British SAS (FAL) sincethe .308 guns are so desired in the open combat of the Middle East.

Dont worrie about using Springfeild parts they are good parts dispite being casted I have a friwnd who has a casted M-1A from the 1970s and it still shoots as good as my forged M-14.

If your looking for a relighable M-14 M-1A get a Polyech since they are cheaper than Springfeilds and they take USGI parts.

I reccomed M-14 first place to get one. Or a FAL in second place, if you want one. I DONT reccomend those POS G3 HK-91, since they destroy your brass and are not as relighable as the M-14or FAL.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 11:24:29 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Dont worrie about using Springfeild parts they are good parts dispite being casted I have a friwnd who has a casted M-1A from the 1970s and it still shoots as good as my forged M-14.

Likely the only thing cast about a 1970's Springfield M1A is the receiver - most of the rest of the parts are undoubtedly forged USGI.

Today's brand new Springfield M1A is likely all cast parts.

That's not neccessarily a bad thing, but the general consensus is that forged parts are far superior.

The only major issue with any of the cast parts on the new Springfields (that I've read) seems to be the op rod.  Prior to buying my M1A, I did a lot of reading, and that came up more than anything.

After discussing things with Springfield themselves, I went ahead and bought the rifle for two reasons:

1> Lifetime warranty - if my rifle changes hands 20 times, and one of the cast parts break, Springfield will honor the warranty.

2> USGI parts swapping - Springfield continues to warranty the rifle even if I swap out the factory parts for USGI parts.  Obviously, they're not going to warranty your USGI parts if they break, but if you were to put a USGI op rod, bolt and barrel onto your rifle, and the receiver or the trigger group futzes up, SA will fix/replace it.

I was seriously considering the Polytech/Norinco, but issues with the bolt and other things I read convinced me that even if I was able to pick up a Polytech/Norinco for $600 (which I might have been able to do about a year ago - now, they're all around $900 or more), I'd be spending at least as much (total) as a new Springfield M1A (and probably more), by replacing parts and having the work done before I felt the rifle was safe/usable.

If your looking for a relighable M-14 M-1A get a Polyech since they are cheaper than Springfeilds and they take USGI parts.

Nothing majorly wrong with Polytech/Norinco, though there is a LOT of debate about the bolts in those things.  The Springfield rifles will also accept USGI parts.

Truthfully, the only way I'd reccomend a Polytech/Norinco was if you just absolutely had to have a forged receiver - and at the price of the Polytech/Norinco M14 today, with the upgrades that you "should" do to it, you might as well just buy an LRB for $2000+

Google for:

Polytech M14
Norinco M14

www.lrbarms.com/m14sa.html
www.fulton-armory.com/M14S_Eval.htm
www.fulton-armory.com/M14SReview.html
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 11:56:15 AM EDT
[#14]
I prefer the ergonomics of the FAL; from the pistol grip, to the charging handle on the left side, to the thumb safety, and the well designed DSA scope mount rail. The sights are all over the map depending on origin and mods done. Some are great, some are okay. Nothing is really bad except for too small hole target sights and too low front sights resulting from short barrels hitting lower than longer ones.

For strictly iron sight use the M1A is top notch out of the box, while the FAL is a crap shoot. The Garand-son is also easier to use with a proper military/target sling.

Beyond that there are so many variations of both rifle types that they are difficult to compare side by side. For a first rifle I’d stick with 18” and longer barrels.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 1:09:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I like the G3s. They're cool. That said, I have no other comments on the M1a, other than Petas is really nice.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 10:26:15 PM EDT
[#16]
thanks for the offer and all the input. where in the valley is a good place to purchase a M1a scout?(I have made my mind up)
Link Posted: 8/19/2006 9:59:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Hi again a good place to get a M-1A here in theMetro area is Gun Broker Westin Tigerd Oregon. Another is Kieth Sporting Goods, or Sportsmans Wear house. I do think you WONT have any troubles with a cast M-1A i know many who have them and swear by them even perfering them to ARs.

Dont worrie.......

Flashpoint1985
Link Posted: 8/19/2006 10:02:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Ohh and also you DONT need to get a bunch of upgrades or chrap for a Polytech M-14 they are fine as is. Ask me I own one.

Flashpoint1985
Link Posted: 8/19/2006 11:41:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Ohh and also you DONT need to get a bunch of upgrades or chrap for a Polytech M-14 they are fine as is. Ask me I own one.

Flashpoint1985

Doesn't yours short cycle on SA surplus though?
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 6:53:45 AM EDT
[#20]
I assume your  talking about gun broker.com I saw a few used ones for around 1200, I found the local gunsmith that can order one for me for around 1,395.00 thats if i get the black synthetic stock.(which is not my preference)

Quoted:
Hi again a good place to get a M-1A here in theMetro area is Gun Broker Westin Tigerd Oregon. Another is Kieth Sporting Goods, or Sportsmans Wear house. I do think you WONT have any troubles with a cast M-1A i know many who have them and swear by them even perfering them to ARs.

Dont worrie.......

Flashpoint1985
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 10:01:50 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
...the black synthetic stock.(which is not my preference)

Wood then?

I don’t care for the crinkle paint, but the synthetic stock is a great GI part.

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 10:11:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 6:24:33 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I assume your  talking about gun broker.com I saw a few used ones for around 1200, I found the local gunsmith that can order one for me for around 1,395.00 thats if i get the black synthetic stock.(which is not my preference)

Quoted:

Dont worrie.......

Flashpoint1985

$1395?!

Is that for the loaded model, or just the M1A Standard?

If that's for the standard, that's a bit pricey.

I'd shop around.  Call Vogarms in Albany (541) 924-0427, and see what kind of price Wes can give you.  I bought my synthetic stocked M1A Standard from him for $1250.

Granted, that was a bit more than a year ago, but it couldn't have gone up in price THAT much.

I'm sure you could find a better deal at Sportsman's Warehouse, too.  I think I saw a wood-stocked Standard at the Salem location a couple weeks ago, and they usually always have a Scout model.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 6:46:06 PM EDT
[#24]
I have been to vogarms, I stubbled in after the I got out and talked with the guy in there for hours, (they are all vets) seemed like good guys, but when it came to bisness I just don't get it.I wanted to buy a glock 22, I had a G21 in really nice shape, 5 mags(10rd) I wanted to work out a deal I was prepared to give a little cash in the bargain, they only wanted to give me 250 for it! I was ready to give these guys all of my bisness, but after that I felt like it would be diffcult to get a good deal. so I don't use them. I'm sure these guys are good people but I just won't to any deals with them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top