Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2005 7:56:41 PM EDT
I was thinking, since he may be heading down to N.O in a week or less, we may try to get some donations that he could take with him.

He is going down to try to see if he can get some stuff for his apt, he has a small car, but we may be able to send some stuff down that way.  No sense sending an empty car to NOLA, let's load it with water and food stuffs.

Will need to confirm with LT and see if he is interested.  But what do you all think?

TXL
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:02:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Are they letting people in? I thought they called for a total evacuation. I wouldn't expect them to call in call in the 82nd Airborne just to let people start coming back in.

But, I can throw in a couple of cases of water.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:23:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:30:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

It's kind of like a SHTF-war zone there.  If these animals shoot at cops, EMS helo, rape women....then LT is better be careful.  And if LT can get in, he better has enough fire power (read:  a lot of ammo, armor, food and water for couple weeks---just in case, he gets stuck in there) and support from LA ARFCOMMERS.

SHTF you say? I'd like to take a couple days off and go with him.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:14:11 AM EDT
[#4]
 LT,  there is nothing material that is worth going back into the city for.  Lake Charles and Baton Rouge are now reporting fuel shortages.  BR has looting also.  If you did find enough fuel to get there, there won't be enough for you to get back out.  Unless you'll be part of an organization providing aid or transportation you'll end up being a burden on the limited resources in the region.

Having a vehicle full of supplies is going to make you a target not only for the criminals but for people that are desperate....even having an operating vehicle will do that.

We haven't been sent to provide assistance yet, due to the complete incompetence currently being displayed by FEMA and the unavailability of fuel for our vehicles and equipment.  My wife is on standby to assist at a field hospital setup by the national guard.  I still have relatives that I cannot account for.

LT, please think this over, it's just looking for trouble.

mm
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:31:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:22:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:41:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:42:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I actually do not live in New Orleans Proper. I live in Kenner. From reports of folks that have gone back, aside from debris in the streets everything is all well. Kenner is like Plano. Tons of cops with nothing to do.

With regards to bringing in water and such. Not to seem cold hearted but I will not be able to accomodate that. I will get in and get out as fast as possible. I just want to asses damage to my apartment so I can start the claim process. Get important docs, and clothes.

They are moving our disaster recovery operation to Baton Rouge. So it looks like that will be my new home. At least for a bit.

Most of my relatives live in Kenner and Metairie, haven't accounted for everyone yet.  I did hear that the Parish President stated that they will allow people in for a few hours on Monday, they will not be allowed back after that for a month.  It looks like 10 is good to at least Veteran's, but not sure if the NG or LSP are allowing people to travel east of Baton Rouge.

mm
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:19:36 PM EDT
[#9]
there you go LT, if asked, you are looking for someone, cousin, sister, whatever.

TXL
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 6:55:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Hugs and prayers, LT.  Stay safe!!!!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:45:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:26:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top