BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2005 7:59:06 AM EDT
I 'knew' this would happen.

www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,70131-13480291,00.html?f=rss

Oil Blast Homes Looted
Updated: 12:36, Friday December 16, 2005

Looters have struck at homes abandoned after the Buncefield oil depot explosion.

Burglars have descended on at least three houses and stripped them of contents, such as televisions.

Ironically, police ordered householders out of the homes after Sunday's explosion.

They told them their homes would be safe in a police cordon.

But shocked residents returned home to find their houses ruined - and their possessions gone.

Household Aaron Muir told Sky News he was looted three times in three days.

"We have been continually looted for the last three evenings," he said. "We have not been allowed to get access to our property to protect our property.

"The police have been unable to protect my property."

Police say they are investigating the claims.
Property ruined by the blast
Property ruined by the blast

"We can confirm that the constabulary is currently investigating three allegations of burglary at residential properties in Cherry Trees Lane and Punch Bowl Lane, Hemel Hempstead," a Hertfordshire police statement said.

"We can further confirm that the properties are located close to the Buncefield Oil Depot and within a very short distance from one of the last tanks that continues to be tackled by firefighters.

"It is extremely regrettable that this incident has occurred at what is a very difficult and distressing time for local residents - that offenders should take advantage of this situation is utterly despicable and callous."

It added: "Hertfordshire Constabulary is doing all that is logistically possible to maintain the security of premises that currently remain vacant following Sunday's explosion."

The cause of the massive blaze which destroyed the depot is still being investigated.

The main fire was put out on Tuesday but small blazes are still burning.

Most local residents who were evacuated from their homes were allowed to return on Wednesday.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:12:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:59:57 AM EDT
[#2]
They'll all play the, ' nowt to do with us', game. How sad, when you get evacuated and the plod's say they are taking care of thing's, then the looter's grab at the chance.

Sort of remind's me of NOLA. I understood when the looter's their where taking food and clothing to feed and clothe themselve's and their loved one's. I still don't understand why they needed electrical good's.
Sorry I don't/didn't want to go there again, that topic has been talked to death already.

The SHTF plans of most of our AR15 brother's probably went tit's up at the start of katrina's attack, I just hope that they are all okay and have managed to make a start on rebiulding their live's.

Tony
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:20:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Looters have struck at homes abandoned after the Buncefield oil depot explosion.
Burglars have descended on at least three houses and stripped them of contents, such as televisions.
Ironically, police ordered householders out of the homes after Sunday's explosion.
They told them their homes would be safe in a police cordon.
But shocked residents returned home to find their houses ruined - and their possessions gone

"The police have been unable to protect my property."
...hasn't anyone learned from the fiasco of katrina?...

"It is extremely regrettable that this incident has occurred at what is a very difficult and distressing time for local residents - that offenders should take advantage of this situation is utterly despicable and callous."
...no, what's regrettable and despicable is the sheer incompetence of the cops to do their fricken job!
you chaps need to hold this dimwits' feet to the fire over this. This and katrina just go to show that the authorities don't really care about people's rights or property!!!

...must come down, must calm down...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top