User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2006 10:10:21 AM EDT
http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/14292653.htm

Vang moved to Iowa prison
Safety concerns cited for killer of six
Associated Press
A St. Paul man convicted of killing six deer hunters and wounding two others in a shooting spree in northwestern Wisconsin has been moved to an Iowa prison because of security concerns.

Corrections officials moved Chai Soua Vang to the Iowa State Penitentiary in Fort Madison, Iowa, in January, according to state records. He was previously imprisoned at the Dodge Correctional Institution in Waupun, Wis.

Chai Soua Vang was moved because officials had safety concerns for corrections staff, inmates and others, said Dan Westfield, security chief for the Department of Corrections' division of adult institutions.

Westfield compared the situation to that of convicted Milwaukee serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer, who in 1994 was killed by another inmate.

"The reasons we move an inmate, and I'll use the Dahmer situation, is that there is a lot of media attention and it stirs a lot of emotion," Westfield said Friday. "Wisconsin is a state with a lot of deer hunters, and we have a lot of inmates who are deer hunters, and there are some racial concerns."

During his trial, Chai Soua Vang, a Hmong immigrant, testified he shot in self-defense at the white hunters after they hurled profanities and racial slurs and took a shot at him. Two survivors testified they did not fire first.

The shooting occurred on the second day of the 2004 deer hunting season after Chai Soua Vang was found trespassing in a tree stand on private land in Sawyer County, Wis. Chai Soua Vang, 37, was sentenced Nov. 8 to six consecutive life prison terms with no chance for parole.

Westfield said he has not heard of any incidents in prison involving Chai Soua Vang. Westfield said he didn't know how long Chai Soua Vang will stay in Iowa.

"After an amount of time, it's not fresh in people's minds," Westfield said.

Corrections Department spokesman John Dipko said Wisconsin has agreements with other states to hold inmates in high-profile cases.

"Generally, we cite safety concerns as reasons for the moves," he said.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:09:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:24:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope, not anymore. Ft. Madison is in one of the southern two tiers of counties.  This year they opened them up to hunt deer with rifle.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:21:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Nope, not anymore. Ft. Madison is in one of the southern two tiers of counties.  This year they opened them up to hunt deer with rifle.

Only doe's and .24 cal. or larger and can only hold 5 rounds in the rifle. I live one county north of Ft. Madison but i am still in the southern two tiers also. I didn't do it this year but next year i will. Our doe population is out of control. Every one whats a buck, me included.

As for Vang he is most likly in the best prision we have right now. Due to the escape of the two inmates last year. The prision is now better and closly watched. Still older than the hills it needs replaced. I was on a tour last winter there and i will tell you one thing it would suck to be in that shit hole for life. He will only be let out of his cell for 1/2 hour a day. The rest of the time he stays in his cell by his self. Over 80% ( last winter any way ) of the inmates are that way there. And when they are let out side they are put in a lack for a better word "cage" roughly 10'x8'. The general pop. has a big yard to go in to. I don't think any other inmates can get to him very easy.

E3
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:48:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Almost every deer I have shot has been a doe.  I have never found a use for antlers (other than popping tractor tires), and the meat can be much better than what you will find on an older animal.  I didn't do rifle (or any other season) this year, but next year I will- if I am not feeling too lazy when it comes around.  Hopefully, shooting does will let my folks keep that much more corn/beans.

Before I ran across a friend who wanted them, all sheds went into the fence line or the pond.  I suspect some still do when my folks run across them.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:50:28 PM EDT
[#5]
great to hear vang is in town...

what a nut...
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:29:33 AM EDT
[#6]
It would be poetic justice if he managed to escape and somebody hunted him down with an SKS...
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:22:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:12:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only doe's and .24 cal. or larger and can only hold 5 rounds in the rifle. I

fine.  castrate him.  by definition he's now a doe.

i have a chinese SKS--vang's preferred method, and within the caliber guidelines.  a quick chunk of wood in the bottom of the mag, and capacity is reduced to 5.

let the man out and gimme a call.
(obviously for those who are so damn serious, yes it's made in jest.  although i can't say for certain that i wouldn't attempt to get into a him-vs-me situation and have to defend myself with deadly force)
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:44:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Shouldn't it be a lot of inmates who are former deer hunters? I mean, if they're felons. . .
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:39:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Don't even need to do that as DNR regulations state: "An antlerless deer is a deer with no forked antler."

Although, castrating him would probably be a good experience for him.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 7:20:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't even need to do that as DNR regulations state: "An antlerless deer is a deer with no forked antler."

Although, castrating him would probably be a good experience for him.

i'm pretty sure losing his jujubees would be a bad experience for him personally.

it would do the rest of society a lot of good though.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top