Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2013 8:44:02 PM EDT
Wife just got the official offer today from her work to start a new school in San Antonio.  We need to work through the final offers/counteroffer stuff, but looks like this summer I will be moving to TX.

I have mixed feelings about it, living 2 hours from the beach is a cool idea, as well as having similar gun laws to AZ, similar weather too (aside from the humidity). I don't know a god-damned soul there and have no family there which is kind of scary. The idea of something new is cool too.

Wife will probably float between AZ/TX until our daughter finishes 1st grade late May.  Going to be sad to leave, but luckily my work will bring me to AZ on a fairly regular basis.

Just thought I would share.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 8:48:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck on your adventure!
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 9:15:31 PM EDT
[#2]
did somebody say beach?

ROAD TRIP!

Now you won't have to drive as far to do Pecos run and gun.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 9:20:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Aerial hog hunting.....

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 9:24:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
did somebody say beach?

ROAD TRIP!

My kid will love being that close to the beach.  And yes, it will shave about 200 miles of driving to the Run N Gun.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 10:44:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Never could live in a state where if you're not home, you're a guest.

http://seguingazette.com/opinion/community_columnists/article_2d389008-57f0-11e0-8b15-001cc4c03286.html
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 5:38:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
did somebody say beach?

ROAD TRIP!

I lived 2 miles from the beach for over 20 years prior to moving here.

I don't miss it one G.D. bit.

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 6:04:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I liked San Antonio a whole lot better 20+ years ago.  If you plan on buying a house, look at the taxes before you look at the price.  It's kind of like shopping for car insurance in New Jersey.  The car note isn't the expensive part.

The humidity will kill you.  I remember some morning runs on Ft. Sam where you were practically drinking the air.  

Moving somewhere new far away from any support system makes life a little harder for awhile.  

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 6:43:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Good luck on your new adventure.

I move to AZ from Wyoming and did not know anyone and had never even been to Phoenix before I moved here.  It is not that bad you become familar fast.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 7:15:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Never could live in a state where if you're not home, you're a guest.

http://seguingazette.com/opinion/community_columnists/article_2d389008-57f0-11e0-8b15-001cc4c03286.html

Good article, I pretty much knew the general story but never the details.  I love Texas being a native, but this is the one big drawback.   However, I am so busy with work and family, I rarely get to enjoy any public lands here in AZ.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 7:51:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I lived in Austin for a year and spent about half my life in Texas visiting relatives.  It's the one place I'd move in a heartbeat from here.

Good luck and Bear Down brother!
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 6:40:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
did somebody say beach?

ROAD TRIP!

My kid will love being that close to the beach.  And yes, it will shave about 200 miles of driving to the Run N Gun.

Ed

Good luck over there man - maybe we'll meet up at the '13 RnG.
Until that day
Mark
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 6:48:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Enjoy the adventures that life brings you! Wish you weren't leaving, but it could be worse than Texas, you know.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 7:26:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I currently live in Tucson, will be moving back to NM (lived there 5+ years ago) in like 3 weeks...Military. But I grew up in the San Antonio area.  I havea lot of family and friends in and around there.  If hunting is your thing hit me up.  Once you become a TX resident you can buy you "super combo", which is a hunting/fishing permitt, everything you need minus the $15 fed duck stamp, for a big whopping $60... The one problem with this is there is no state owned land to hunt on, so you'll need to own it, lease it, or be like me and have a friend ... Said friend does have a "game" ranch!  I do know a lot of people with ranchs (esp Hog huntting types) that are pro 2A and pro hunting.  The big surprise (depending on your exact location) will be the over whelming population of whitetail deer.  I'm from a small town outside of SA and the nice bucks would bed down right in the middle of town!  Plenty of places to hunt. shoot, and shop GUNS/PARTS!  You'll be pretty close to KNS inc. (they are mainly known for their anti-rotation hammer/trigger pins), and I have good connections there too... worth catching out and meeting some nice guys in the industry!
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 7:34:23 PM EDT
[#14]
San Antonio is a neat city but be prepared to sweat your balls of it is one humid mofo I travel there 4 times a year for work.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 7:35:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I lived in San Antonio for a while, It was nice. Texas is great, your home and your property are yours and your castle..

The humidity in San Antonio is not as bad as parts more east and northeast and it seemed like it mostly burned off by afternoon but I swear the temps did not change at night, but then again it does not get as hot as here in the valley.

(How bad the humidity is may be relative I suppose...it will sure as hell be worse than here with the exception of monsoon season)

It is spotty like all US cities but it has its nice parts for sure, I lived north just inside loop 1604 and did not really check out too may other neighborhoods to know much about where is good and bad, this was some years back now too and who knows how the market may have changed things.

I hope you like TexMex

I sure do miss it...

Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:42:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Sorry to hear you're leaving, but happy for the opportunities for you and your family.  You are a good quality dude and I've enjoyed the adventures we've shared.  I'm sure our paths will cross again.  All the best, amigo.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 8:44:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I currently live in Tucson, will be moving back to NM (lived there 5+ years ago) in like 3 weeks...Military. But I grew up in the San Antonio area.  I havea lot of family and friends in and around there.  If hunting is your thing hit me up.  Once you become a TX resident you can buy you "super combo", which is a hunting/fishing permitt, everything you need minus the $15 fed duck stamp, for a big whopping $60... The one problem with this is there is no state owned land to hunt on, so you'll need to own it, lease it, or be like me and have a friend ... Said friend does have a "game" ranch!  I do know a lot of people with ranchs (esp Hog huntting types) that are pro 2A and pro hunting.  The big surprise (depending on your exact location) will be the over whelming population of whitetail deer.  I'm from a small town outside of SA and the nice bucks would bed down right in the middle of town!  Plenty of places to hunt. shoot, and shop GUNS/PARTS!  You'll be pretty close to KNS inc. (they are mainly known for their anti-rotation hammer/trigger pins), and I have good connections there too... worth catching out and meeting some nice guys in the industry!

Awesome offer man, THANKS- I will definitely bug you later when I am settled. I would love to go after some pigs and deer. I know the KNS guys too, they shoot and sponsor the Pecos Run N Gun so I am familiar with them. A smaller shop Halcyon defense is there too, they made my 300BlK barrel and are good guys.  

I will miss AZ for sure, I have lived here for 20 years now. I have met some great people and the industry people here are outstanding.  We are excited about a new adventure. I think something new will be good for my family. The new job for my wife is great, though selling a house now sucks, the risk of renting it out for a while and renting a place to live is worth the opportunity for her.

I was born and raised in New England so I am familiar with bad humidity, not to say I am looking forward to it, but it is at least something I have experienced.
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 6:04:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Awesome!  So you went to the RnG huh?  The Tall guy with long hair from KNS (Tyson) was the best man at my weeding and I his.  It's good to have friends in the industry.  Ty tried to get me to do the RnG, and I really wanted to, but knee surgry and the lack of leave time kinda put a stop to that tought!  I will deff get out there one year.  The KNS shop is small and kind of tucked away in the boonies, but I still love going there, even if it is just to swap stories and hang out with some great people.  No problem about "bugging" me.  I'm always down to hook good people up with hunting opps, if I can.  I just wish TX would put an open carry law into effect... I know most people there would agree.  Most parts of the state, esp around hunting seasons, are deff not "gun-shy".  Sorry you have to uproot and move, but like any other state TX has its goods and bads.  San Antonio isn't too bad in the right spots, but they still have their ghetto (south side of SA), but its way better than Austin.  Austin is fun, just too liberal for my taste.  Good on you and your wife for supporting your family by the means necessary, and hopefully it is a smooth transition.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 10:32:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Speed traps used to be a huge problem there.
Link Posted: 3/20/2013 11:13:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Safe trip man! Sucks you gotta leave AZ. At least try and make some of the ranchers your friends out there, so you could maybe shoot some hogs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top