Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2018 9:04:11 AM EDT
So I accepted a job offer I could not turn down. Moving from VA to CA. Company is paying to pack and ship all stuff and cars. 60 days corporate housing and storage too while we find a place. I know I am moving to a non-free state (and slightly heavier taxed than VA). Long term though financially this is a better move.

So I will be working in San Jose but we plan on getting a place in Tracy, CA since my family is there. Will take the ACE from there to SJ and back. So you guys will be my new home town forum for a few years.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 12:22:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I accepted a job offer I could not turn down. Moving from VA to CA. Company is paying to pack and ship all stuff and cars. 60 days corporate housing and storage too while we find a place. I know I am moving to a non-free state (and slightly heavier taxed than VA). Long term though financially this is a better move.

So I will be working in San Jose but we plan on getting a place in Tracy, CA since my family is there. Will take the ACE from there to SJ and back. So you guys will be my new home town forum for a few years.
View Quote
casarez,

Good luck to you and your family moving out here to Cali. Have a nice holiday.

Impala
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 7:03:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome to the west
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 11:20:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
Are you originally from here?
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 7:27:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I grew up in Fullerton/Santa Ana in SoCal. Left in 1992 when I joined Army. This is first time moving back.

Quoted:
Good luck to you and your family moving out here to Cali. Have a nice holiday.
Thank you!

Quoted:
Welcome to the west
Yeah, the lesser humidity will be nice if nothing else.

I plan on calling CA DoJ today but from hat I heard my Sig X-5 and my wife's Walther Q5 should be good to go to bring into state since we are transplants right?
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 10:02:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Welcome! I moved out here from GA 3yrs ago so I’m right there with you.

I work at Stanford University. I also live in downtown SJ if you ever want a free beer, holler at me!
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 1:20:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Welcome! I moved out here from GA 3yrs ago so I’m right there with you.

I work at Stanford University. I also live in downtown SJ if you ever want a free beer, holler at me!
View Quote
Ah nice! Will reach out once settled.

Called CA DOJ said pistols off roster are OK as long as a file the form below within 60 days:

https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/forms/ab991frm.pdf
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 1:49:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Welcome!
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 8:44:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 9:52:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 9:53:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 8:25:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Congrats on the opportunity OP. Welcome to Cali...
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 8:27:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you want to make some cash, max out every credit card you have buying pistols that can't be had here.

As you've found out from the DOJ, you being a transplant can bring in pistols that are no longer sold here but are ok for people moving here to bring.

People will pay top dollar for used guns and premium + for one that's new! Something to think about if you want to make a quick buck.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 11:25:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you want to make some cash, max out every credit card you have buying pistols that can't be had here.

As you've found out from the DOJ, you being a transplant can bring in pistols that are no longer sold here but are ok for people moving here to bring.

People will pay top dollar for used guns and premium + for one that's new! Something to think about if you want to make a quick buck.
View Quote
Is the amount of cash really worth it? I need to be juggling finding a new house, buying it, then once my household stuff and cars show up get them to new house etc etc. Not sure I want to play mini-FFL.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 1:42:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Is the amount of cash really worth it? I need to be juggling finding a new house, buying it, then once my household stuff and cars show up get them to new house etc etc. Not sure I want to play mini-FFL.
View Quote
Unless you have guaranteed buyers, it seems risky.  Then there's that straw purchase thing.  Note also that you have to report them on "import" (although I suppose you might sell before the time frame expires?).  And the sales go through FFLs and get DROSd.   Which suggests at least the possibility of seeing some interest of being in the business without being licensed.  I don't know what triggers that kind of trouble.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 12:11:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Guaranteed buyers,...???

I'm certain I read on here that bringing them in with the intent to sell ("guaranteed buyers") is illegal.  That is "importing" and that is against the law.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 10:31:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Quick scan of sold prices on CalGuns

Gen 5 glock 19 for $900
USP 45 for about $1400
SIG 320 for $850

Link Posted: 9/7/2018 8:48:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Anyone know if there are USPSA club/matches around?
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 11:01:49 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm a member at Sac Valley, its actually a really nice facility and they have IDPA and USPSA.

http://www.actionpistol.org/ncps/

http://sacvalley.org/
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 5:56:34 PM EDT
[#19]
yea no threaded barrels, no high caps for handguns.
Don't bother with any assault pistol type stuff (magwell outside the pistol grip) Surprisingly a mac10 would be legal as long as there's no threaded barrel.
AR longarms are a whole nother headache. Id go featureless for everything (add a kydex grip wrap) and take off any flash hiders and pin/block any folding or collapsible stocks.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 8:09:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
No, it's not.

Before and after the move, you are gonna be busier than a one legged man in an ass-kicking contest for 6 months, minimum.  Put your guns in your safe for a while.  You'll have lots of other shit that needs doing.

When you are ready, you will have no trouble finding USPSA or IDPA matches to attend.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 10:29:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
yea no threaded barrels, no high caps for handguns.
Don't bother with any assault pistol type stuff (magwell outside the pistol grip) Surprisingly a mac10 would be legal as long as there's no threaded barrel.
AR longarms are a whole nother headache. Id go featureless for everything (add a kydex grip wrap) and take off any flash hiders and pin/block any folding or collapsible stocks.
View Quote
ARs and suppressors going into long-term secured storage. Not coming with. Leaving pistols mags and pmags with them.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 10:31:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:No, it's not.

Before and after the move, you are gonna be busier than a one legged man in an ass-kicking contest for 6 months, minimum.  Put your guns in your safe for a while.  You'll have lots of other shit that needs doing.

When you are ready, you will have no trouble finding USPSA or IDPA matches to attend.
View Quote
Luckily new company is paying for packing/shipment of household and cars. 2 months of corporate housing, 2 months of storage for stuff once it arrives. So other than the purge we are doing now we just need to sell our place (Not going to be hard) and buy a new place which is nice. New company even threw in $7500 to cover moving incidentals and help with closing.

Having said all that yeah I agree, gonna be awhile before we are settled and moved in etc.
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 9:37:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Have any AOWs? Those are good to go (shockwaves, super shorties, etc).
If you really want to cash in,
buy a bunch of frames (sti 2011s) and p320 trigger groups. Probably cheapest way.
And gen 5 glocks.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 5:17:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 2:24:54 PM EDT
[#25]
ok, House on market in VA. I am sitting in the corporate housing now (Revere apartments in San Jose) and have begun house hunting. 4mo kiddo handled the flight like a champ.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 1:17:14 AM EDT
[#26]
You should grab a pizza at the garret
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 10:00:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You should grab a pizza at the garret
View Quote
Actually did that Sunday night. It was good too.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 2:03:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Well to the valley.  Tracy is not a bad place to raise a family.  I work in SJ county but live in Stan county.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top