Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/4/2005 5:55:51 PM EDT
Just heard that my company may have a position like mine open and the person would need to live somewhere between Lumberton and Wilmington NC area. Never been there other than along I-95 doing "the thing" north and south. I can really use some input about the area, schools, crime, gun "friendlyness" and homes. How about homeowners insurance towards Lumberton ? I just got dropped from mine due to the hurricanes last year, now I have 90 days to find a new policy!! and I am sure they all will be bending me over! Wilmington seems close to shore and I am assuming prices on homes and insurance is very high. Is land cheap ? Looking to get 20+ acres which is easy in some places, my 1.25 acres now goes for over $280K without a building! In TN I can get a bunch of land for that much.

I need to make a decision to apply by Monday and I have been looking to move out of Florida for quite some time now. As some of you may know I was looking towards the Piedmont region but after a year of waiting I have open my mind further east and even into TN if I can find a job there. Nothing like looking to move and taking the jump blind...which is what I would be doing so you guys are my eyes and ears suggestions are well appreciated.

Rich
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:09:16 PM EDT
Lumberton, home of the Lumbi Native Americans not recongized by the .gov. Kinda close to Fort Bragg, and not a bad place from what I hear.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:20:29 PM EDT
Land in and around Wilmington has rocketed up in value in the past three years. My neighbor closed on his top floor condo for $136k two years ago. A unit on the ground floor sold for $220K+ a few months ago. I suppose it is an OK place to live, but the traffic is awful during the summer and I'd never consider living here if I wasn't in line to inherit the family property. My mom bought a 2 acre lot for $89k in the late 1980s. Now and then she gets an unsolicited offer from real estate agents in the ~1.2 million zone. The nearest rifle range that doesn't have a closed membership system is forty miles away. IMHO it is a great place to live if you love the beach. Otherwise you may want to pass.

Galland

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:14:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2005 4:59:07 AM EDT by UnusSupra1]
The city of Wilmington is in New Hanover County.
That county is as bad as Durham County as far as anti-gun people.

But you said between Lumberton and Wilmington, their about 80 miles from each other.
Might not be too bad if closer to Lumberton

I bought 30 acres 2 years ago in Pender County for under 60K

ETA: You might want to check in to NC taxes?
We have state income tax, personal property tax (vehicles) and a 7% sales tax.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:13:18 AM EDT
Good info thanks! I have heard of Durham county, one of the reasons I did not spend any time there when on "recon" last year. I work on the road and would be responsible for an area between Lumberton and Wilmington with the office in Wilmington for parts and occasional meetings, 1/2 way would be nice but also the further west the better insurance rates on windstorm.

Pender County.. OK I will research that. What other counties or towns should I search for on the web that are somewhat rural in that area of Lumberton and Wilmington ? As you did I am looking for plenty of land but yet not so rural that my kid has a place to go to school! Looking for enough land to build 2 homes (one for my Mom) and still have privacy from everyone else, possibly haul in 20 or so trucks of dirt and some old tires and make myself my own range!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:16:11 AM EDT
Oh yea.. taxes. We may not have all of those but the ones we do have are high, property is really high here. No matter what it's like over there it would still be a pay rase for me considering the cost of homes, insurance and property taxes here. Remember 1 acre where I live now is $260K or so...if I wanted to step up from the house I have now I would need to spend $500K. So no matter what once I sell here I'll be living like a king there.

Rich
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:53:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2005 3:55:13 PM EDT by LesBaer45]
Off topic here but I read somewhere that Wilmington was second to Las Vegas in growth % last year. I never verified that figure but it really rocked my thinking. I knew Wilmington was booming but just looking at the numbers was staggering.

I suppose it's a good thing if you're looking to sell but it's kind of sad in it's own way to see the insanity of housing costs just getting worse here in NC.

Pender, maybe Sampson, might be good places to try to get into. Anything close to I-95/I-40 is going to cost you. Anything close to the coast is going to be high as well. Lord you can't even find any bargains in the mountains anymore. Where do all these people get their money? I must be doing something wrong.

Triangle, Triad, CharMeck is well, just stupid high$
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:01:48 PM EDT
Beleive it or not Greenville NC is the 5th highest city in NC to live in. I mean a single bedroom apartment with shared living room and bath rents on average for about $385 a month here. Pitt County and several suurounding counties have implemented a $35 vehicle inspection fee for 1996 cars on up. If you are like me and most other guys on this forum that own a truck then you are charged taxes by the county , city, and state. Pitt Co. charges you the same rate on your truck as a farm tractor which is load of bullshit. Don't even consider moving here if you hate taxes and gays. It isn't called "San Francisco on the Tar River" for nothing.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:19:19 PM EDT
Check out Columbus County. Not to far from Lumberton, not to far from Wilmington, and not to far from Myrtle Beach, SC. You can guess that I'm in Columbus county.

Vulcan94
Top Top