Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2016 2:54:16 PM EDT
My stepmother decided it was time to get a handgun. She ended up with a S&W .38 snubby. Not what I would have suggested for her. Can anyone recommend a female friendly trainer in the area? I want to make sure she has some basic training from a good instructor. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 11:00:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Midwest shooting in hiawatha. They have classes and training geared towards women. Very friendly and helpful staff.
They also have a pretty decent cabinet of rental guns. Try before you buy is always nice.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 10:44:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Midwest shooting in hiawatha. They have classes and training geared towards women. Very friendly and helpful staff.
They also have a pretty decent cabinet of rental guns. Try before you buy is always nice.
View Quote

Thank you sir.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 12:03:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd add Cedar Valley Outfitters (Ernie Traugh) to your list. They're over in Marion. Ernie does a lot of training and has classes that are female only.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 1:42:47 PM EDT
[#4]
http://www.hawkeyefirearmsinstruction.com/

Steve is in Ottumwa and is a very good instructor. He also has a scenario trainer.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 1:55:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
http://www.hawkeyefirearmsinstruction.com/

Steve is in Ottumwa and is a very good instructor. He also has a scenario trainer.
View Quote

I'll second that. I think he gets up to the CR area for classes a few times a year. Definitely a stand-up guy.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 2:47:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the recommendations. I will pass them along and try to get her into one of them.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 11:25:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'd add Cedar Valley Outfitters (Ernie Traugh) to your list. They're over in Marion. Ernie does a lot of training and has classes that are female only.
View Quote

+1 for CVO. Ernie's classes are gtg.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:40:12 PM EDT
[#8]
The Linn County Izaak Walton League also offers a Women's Only pistol class periodically, next date TBD.
https://www.izaakwalton.info/woman-s.html
Appears they're also going to be offering one for Tactical Shotgun in the spring.
I know the lady who runs the pistol class and she's good to work with.

As others have suggested, I've heard good things about CVO as well.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top