Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2011 5:56:02 PM EDT
Anyone know where I can get some free cross ties in central Alabama?  I've sent off a message to CSX but haven't heard back.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 4:00:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Free? I don't think so. There is a company on Hwy 25 right on the Wilton/Briarfield border that makes new ones and they often have a pile of old ties.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 4:57:12 PM EDT
[#2]
The name of the business is Boatright Railroad Products.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 5:22:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I know about Boatwright, but I was under the impression CSX gave away old used ties.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 5:23:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Double.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:00:57 PM EDT
[#5]
There is a place on the Dallas / Autauga county line on the 140 Bypass that sells crossties, I don't think you will find free ones anywhere..
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 2:25:34 AM EDT
[#6]

I asked a CSX track repair crew chief about getting some of the ties they were replacing. He said they were already spoken for but that at time they had some that were not.

I got the impression that you had to buy them.

ETA: How many do you need? I have been removing some derelict track on my property and I have a few that are not rotten. Ones form the railroad would probably be in better shape.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 5:21:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a local place to buy them.  I was just curious if the railroad gave them away.
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 9:32:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Not sure if railroads can give them away or sell them anymore, since the EPA declared creosote a pollutant.  Seems like that happened in the last 5 or so years?

Maybe the ones that use a different type of preservative can be obtained?

LC
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top