Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2006 3:29:01 PM EDT
Looking for a place in the country, away from any city even close to 5,000 in population. Where the Winter temp average 50 degrees plus. Non Liberal area.  Prefere an excape of no more than a 5 hour drive from the Rochester, Minnesota area.

My goal is extended weekend and some holiday get aways from Winter.
Input on areas for target shooting, ATV riding, camping.
Any farm property owners?

Trade offs on our Southeastern Minnesota farm?
Right now I am just exploring possibilities for next Winter.
Input?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:09:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont think there is anywhere in Mo where there is a average winter temp of 50.

but anywhere outside of KC and STL would fit your needs.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:46:18 AM EDT
[#2]
You forgot Springfield also.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 5:45:33 AM EDT
[#3]
It's over 5 hours from Rochester to I-70 on the quickest route.

There are many places in the Missouri Ozarks that would meet your need for isolation, particularly in the counties that border Arkansas.

15 years ago, I would have to say your temperature requirement was impossible, but nowadays we are having extremely mild winters that do not require heavy coats and gloves more than 3 or 4 weeks at most, and those are mostly scattered through the winter months.  Most of the time I wear a light fabric jacket with a thermal knit lining and leave the gloves in the truck.

I would look for a nice place on isolated stretches of the Gasconade River south of I-44, or the Jacks Fork or Current Rivers south of Eminence.  Stay away from the Corps lakes if you don't want neighbors.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:37:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Not in Missouri. Thats called Florida and I just got back from vacation there. Did find a range to visit there and got to run a few mags through a MP5SD but am glad to be home.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:55:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Iffin you wants to go 4-wheelin' and a shootin' in a wild type area there is the area around Potosi and of course anywhere else in the Mark Twain National Forest. It is a huge area, look it up online and have a look-see. Don't think the temperature will meet your desires though.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:39:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I am looking more at November December, and March.
Last time I was traveling to visit my sister in Arkansas, I took US 63 South to 44, and missed my exit to 71. Nice area out there. Finally found my round about way at 3am to 71 South.
I am just looking for another with farm property as kind of a get away place while we are at sub zero. Even your above freezing temp would be welcomed.
Sure Florida sounds fine, relitives there, nice place to visit, too far away...

We did reach -34 below zero this Winter...

I will have to Google Potosi, and Mark Twain National Forest, and of course the Missouri Ozarks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top