Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2008 12:51:05 PM EDT
So I want to take my dad and nephew for a long weekend camping trip. Any recommendations on cool camping grounds in the Lower Peninsula? I'd like to find one that's near an outdoor shooting range so i can teach my nephew to shoot.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 12:58:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I know a few, any area or interests?  Where do you live, and how far you want to travel?
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:06:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Metamora State Park south of Lapeer. Good bluegill and bass. The Pit isnt too far away for shooting. Holly SP. Again good fishing, pike too. Bald Mtn State range aint too far. Algonac SP has a skeet range as does several others I think.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:19:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I know a few, any area or interests?  Where do you live, and how far you want to travel?

I'm in the Detroit area. Anywhere in the LP is good, assuming it's a decent campground with access to a decent range. I thought about going to the Pit, but I think I'd prefer going further away from Detroit.

Oh, and we'll probably want to go fishing too.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:40:23 PM EDT
[#4]
This campground is near Lansing and has alot of room to roam. The shooting range is not on the property but near by.
www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-42199_39011-130852--,00.html
www.michigan.org/property/Detail.aspx?p=G13074
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:05:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
This campground is near Lansing and has alot of room to roam. The shooting range is not on the property but near by.

The campground looks pretty good. Which shooting range is it? There's three on the link.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:11:27 PM EDT
[#6]
If you'd want to come up a little more north I'm up by Alpena. I live on fletchers floodwaters where you can catch fish all day. You don't even need too bring a boat I'll let you take mine if you want. There's a couple camp grounds around, there's a weekly/daily cabin they rent out right next to me. We have 3 ranges nearby including one that goes out to 600yrds.

If this sounds like something you'd be interested in let me know I'll let ya shoot my .50 to while your here.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:32:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If you'd want to come up a little more north I'm up by Alpena. I live on fletchers floodwaters where you can catch fish all day. You don't even need too bring a boat I'll let you take mine if you want. There's a couple camp grounds around, there's a weekly/daily cabin they rent out right next to me. We have 3 ranges nearby including one that goes out to 600yrds.

If this sounds like something you'd be interested in let me know I'll let ya shoot my .50 to while your here.

We stay in Tawas alot and there is a range there . Where is the 600 yd range in Alpena ?
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:10:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We stay in Tawas alot and there is a range there . Where is the 600 yd range in Alpena ?

At the sportsmans club. They have a 100yrd range,a pistol range, a very nice trap shooting range, a very nice 3Dbow course, and the 600yrd range.

All in all they have a very nice place there.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:08:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

That's very generous! Thanks.

I'm gonna talk to my dad and start figuring out when and where we want to go.

Thanks for all of the info all.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:34:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Make your reservations early.  At all the good state campgrounds, sites are filling up quickly.  I had to fight to get the last site at Muskegon for the weekend of June 21.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:59:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The campground looks pretty good. Which shooting range is it? There's three on the link.

Sorry I missed your reply It's the only public range. The range is nice but has the restrictions of a state run public range.
Here's the details....

Clinton County Shooting Ranges

Clinton County
DNR Rose Lake Shooting Range
14500 Peacock Rd
Bath
517-373-1230

Archery
Indoor Archery:  NO
Outdoor Archery:  YES
Shotgun
Hand Trap:  YES
Skeet:  NO
Trap:  NO
Sporting Clays:  NO
Crazy Quail:  NO
Rifle/Handgun
Indoor 25 YDS:  NO
Outdoor 25 YDS:  YES
Outdoor 50 YDS:  YES
Outdoor 100 YDS: YES
Outdoor 200 YDS:  NO
Type of Range

Private
NO
City/Municipal/Twp/County
NO
State
YES
Federal
NO
Additional Information
Open To Public:  YES
Fees:  NO
Accessible:  YES
Hunter Education:  YES

Hours: 9 am - 5 pm
Days Open:
Nov 16 - Sep 30: Thurs - Mon
Oct 1 - 31: Wed - Mon
Nov 1 - 15: Sun - Sat

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:43:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry I missed your reply It's the only public range. The range is nice but has the restrictions of a state run public range.
Here's the details....

Clinton County Shooting Ranges

Clinton County
DNR Rose Lake Shooting Range
14500 Peacock Rd
Bath
517-373-1230

Archery
Indoor Archery:  NO
Outdoor Archery:  YES
Shotgun
Hand Trap:  YES
Skeet:  NO
Trap:  NO
Sporting Clays:  NO
Crazy Quail:  NO
Rifle/Handgun
Indoor 25 YDS:  NO
Outdoor 25 YDS:  YES
Outdoor 50 YDS:  YES
Outdoor 100 YDS: YES
Outdoor 200 YDS:  NO
Type of Range

Private
NO
City/Municipal/Twp/County
NO
State
YES
Federal
NO
Additional Information
Open To Public:  YES
Fees:  NO
Accessible:  YES
Hunter Education:  YES

Hours: 9 am - 5 pm
Days Open:
Nov 16 - Sep 30: Thurs - Mon
Oct 1 - 31: Wed - Mon
Nov 1 - 15: Sun - Sat

Cool thanks!

Are there any restrictions about bringing my firearms into the state park/campground? I won't be carrying, they'll just be stored away.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:34:04 PM EDT
[#13]
There is no problem with firearms in the park. North east of the camping area is all hunting area in the proper seasons. Watch for  deer and turkey roaming around. I hunt bow and muzzleloader seasons when I can out there .
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 2:48:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

good musky lake right there
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top