Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2006 4:23:51 PM EDT
I have my eye on the new Olympic Arms K23P AR-15 pistol. I was told by a guy in the gun store (not the shop who has the gun, he's out of state, I do have a receiving FFL in Nassau county) that this model is illegal in Nassau county because it has a flash suspressor and a removable magazine. I've been in Coliseum Gun Traders he has the Bushmaster AR-15 pistols and he says they are legal in the county. Anybody have any ideas what is truth or fiction before I buy something I can't own.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:03:03 PM EDT
[#1]
50oz rule...
New vs "pre-ban".
Everythings legal until you get caught.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:44:21 AM EDT
[#2]
What the heck is the 50 oz rule? I never heard of that one nor can I find any reference to it in the Nassau County pistol permit rules and or the New York State rulings.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:50:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Would that explain why the local dealers stock the Bushmaster since it weighs 44 oz? While the Olympic comes in at 5.12 pounds? I know this may sound dumb but what difference does it make if it weighs  5 pounds or 4 pounds, but wait, I should know this I live in New York it does not need to make any logical difference!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:05:58 AM EDT
[#4]
fp1201, you're right upon looking further into this, I came accross www.nysrpa.org/nygunlaws.htm
and low and behold there it is 50 oz unloaded rule. Like I said what difference does it make, and if you read all the laws I think 90% of the people who visit Calverton range would lose thier guns on any given day, that is scary! Thanks for insight and information.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:40:34 AM EDT
[#5]
It falls under the guise of the "Assault Weapons" Ban. Not to be condesending, but in case you weren't aware of it, NY copied the now expired Federal ban less the sunset provisions. Having a pistol with an empty weight exceeding 50 ounces make it an illegal AW. Sucks don't it?
Many of us have longed for, or wondered if we could have an AR "pistol" on our permits and for the most part the answer is no. IIRC there have been a few AR pistols that fall below the ruleing, and of course "pre-ban" are still good to go on your licenses.
Of course I could be completely worng....and just becasue a "dealer" has one, doesn't necessairly make it "legal" in NY. Getting the stuff isn't hard....trying to convince the arresting officer that he doesn't know shit about AW's is yet another. YMMV  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:48:35 AM EDT
[#6]
fp1201, here's a real kicker, the S&W Model 460XVR Hunter in 460 weighs empty 80 oz! Then again, it doesn't look like an AW! Until you mentioned the 50 oz thing I, like alot of others probably never heard of it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:15:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
fp1201, here's a real kicker, the S&W Model 460XVR Hunter in 460 weighs empty 80 oz! Then again, it doesn't look like an AW! Until you mentioned the 50 oz thing I, like alot of others probably never heard of it.

Well I think it's the detachable magazine thing that put it over the edge.... Have you got/shot one of the .460's?  Local fellow bought a .500 and some factory ammo, shot it up and asked the gunsmith to get him the stuff, then teach him to reload.....the "starting charged" shells were WICKED compaired to the factory stuff. This from a man who routinely builds/shoots stuff that makes you say "OH my God".  The .460 is S&W's answer to the .454 Casull...just a long, drawn out 45LC. Then again Elgin Gates, creator of the .357 super mag, .445, and .455 super mags has already "been there, done that".
50 oz rule kinda kills off fun stuff like UZI pistols and Mini's. unless their pre-ban.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:42:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I was told by the FFL at Freeport tha it is legal to own then again another dealer said it isn't. I have the OA98 and want to get one of these K23P's also. NOw if it didn't have a muzzle brake on it does it pass the rules.
Think about it. Detachable Magazine. Don't Semi Auto Pistols have Detachable Magazines? SO why isn't a Glock or 1911 an Assault waepon.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:47:05 PM EDT
[#9]
fp1201, I presently have 8 AR's, 1 in 308, 9mm Oly arms pre-ban, 50 Beowulf the rest are 2 pre-ban 223, 3 -223 different barrel lengths, but I'd still like to get a AR pistol. The Bushmaster carbon fiber comes in at 46 oz, but I still like the look of the K23P. I wish I could just move out of NY, ahhh, thats wishful thinking for now.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:40:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Think about it. Detachable Magazine. Don't Semi Auto Pistols have Detachable Magazines? SO why isn't a Glock or 1911 an Assault waepon.

They also don't weigh in excess of 50 ounces. They have a grip which the magazine feeds thru, lack a "flash-hider" threaded muzzle, bayonet lug,...

Maby rkbar15 will chime in: He's the resident expert on NYS firearms laws. I have tried to stay current and versed on State law, hell BATFE sent me two big books: one on state laws and the other is Federal, but I don't have the motivation to sit down and read them thru.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:18:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Here is the actual text of the law for those that are unable to find it. In the section where an "Assault Weapon" is defined:

22. "Assault weapon" means
(c) a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following characteristics:
 (i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
 (ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;
 (iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;
 (iv) a manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded;
 (v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic rifle, shotgun or firearm;

from Findlaw, a good bookmark to keep around.

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top