Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2018 3:43:17 PM EDT
I've never been and would like to make the most of my time. I'm looking at being free from 11am till 4pm Nov 1st and 2nd. What are the absolute must see/do things that I can fit into that time frame?

I'll be staying at Paradise Point if that helps. Would the Zoo be worth it if I could only be there for 4hrs? Is the naval base visitor friendly? Those 2 things pretty much exhaust my knowledge of San Diego

I have no idea and would appreciate any help.

ETA: In addition to that how about a great local steak and seafood place for a dinner in the evening?
Link Posted: 10/21/2018 10:41:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Lego Land!
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 12:43:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Midway museum, and then check out the memorials, including salute to Bob Hope just south of the Midway on the waterfront one day.  Then the zoo the next or vice versa.  If extra time, there are several other museums, etc., in Balboa Park or maybe hop over to Coronado Island and see the Del Coronado.  Not sure if you could get on the base and what you'd see except the ships which might be there.  Not sure it's worth the time when you can tour a carrier with an aircraft collection, etc., with the Midway.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 2:17:15 AM EDT
[#3]
The Model RR Museum in Balboa Park is pretty impressive.  The Air and Space Museum is pretty good also, did lose it's Richtofen items in a fire in the 80's.  Does have some unique aircraft.  The Balboa Park Museums are mostly closed on Mondays.

The zoo is a good visit.  Maritime Museum has The Star of India one of the oldest sailing sailing ships and several other interesting ships.  USS Midway Museum is worth a see.

Cabrillo National Monument on the end of Point Loma is usually good for a few hours.  I used to eat my lunch up there a lot before they started charging for entry.

Point Loma Seafood used to have some pretty good fish and squid sandwiches for lunch.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 2:52:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I’ll second Point Cabrillo - I was earlier this year and saw two subs.

I like C Level on Harbor Island.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 2:53:19 AM EDT
[#5]
If we are down there for dinner, I usually insist on eating at Fillippi's Pizza Grotto on Kettner.  It's an old -fashioned (because it survived) Italian restaurant behind the market place.  It just reminds me of a lot of the little family Italian places we ate at when I was a kid and then when we lived in San Diego.  Most of the other Italian food places in "Little Italy" are fancier finer food places.  Most of Little Italy was eliminated when I-5 was built.

I guess if I was to make a recommendation on food for San Diego, it would be to try one of the ethnic places that you might not be able to find in Indiana.  Middle Eastern, Asian, that kind of thing.

For Mexican, We like Old Town Mexican Cafe, I usually get the ribs.  NOTE - These are Mexican style ribs and not like you get in most parts of the states.  Most of the places in Old Town are pretty good, ranging from good "American" style Mexican food to good Mexican Mexican food.  Try Mole Poblana or Mole Enchiladas if you've never had mole.  You need to get recommendations.  Old Town can be a bit of a tourist trap, but it's kind of fun to wander around in and shop for souvenirs.  Neither Ma Danby or I are drinkers and we live about 2 hours (good traffic) out of San Diego, so I definitely wouldn't try any of the big drinks.

If you can get it, Anchor Steam Beer, Anchor California Lager are nice beers, not the average American horse piss.  Steam is really nice on a cold night.  Not sure I could recommend any Mexican beer.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 6:36:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank you for the replies so far, I’ll definitely look into some of the ideas. Midway museum definitely looks interesting.

As far as an evening dinner out goes..... No shortage of authentic ethnic foods available to me. What you can’t get in Indiana is truly fresh seafood
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 12:46:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Kayak in La Jolla cove

Tour the Midway

Bike around Coronado Island

The Zoo or Safari Park

Visit the Easter cross

Balboa Park has many museums (automotive, aerospace, photography) the Japanese Garden is great, not sure anything is blooming in Nov, but it's a great place to take a walk and some photos.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 12:48:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Does your steak dinner have a budget?
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 4:30:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does your steak dinner have a budget?
View Quote
@baranski

If it comes with great seafood not really but I've never had anything over $75 a plate that was significantly better than the $75 plate. Just a personal observation, ymmv. Probably can't be "Fine" dining as I'm not going to pack a suit for one dinner out. Jeans will have to be acceptable.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 12:00:30 PM EDT
[#10]
While in San Diego make sure to check out the Hillcrest area.  While over there you must check out The Brass Rail.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 10:52:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If we are down there for dinner, I usually insist on eating at Fillippi's Pizza Grotto on Kettner.  .
View Quote
Lasagna and garlic cheese bread!!!!!  Fillipi's is in Escondido too, but I hear it may be closing. Many locations.  Pick any of them.

Seek out El Indio and get the surf and turf burrito.  Their salsa is excellent.  I think they only sell the shrimps on either Saturday or Sunday, so do your research.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 10:52:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
While in San Diego make sure to check out the Hillcrest area.  While over there you must check out The Brass Rail.
View Quote
Wear your assless chaps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top