Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2021 6:56:39 PM EDT
Hello from the land of the summer inferno.
I have been looking at buying some land in the mountains of western NC. The prices seem reasonable but are they? Have they been jumping up like real estate down here? Do you think it would be better to wait another year or so and see if they drop back down?
I am not looking for anything fancy. Maybe 5-10 acres in the mountains (preferably over 3k ft elevation) to build a shack chalet on. I understand power and water might be a bitch and sewer, well, probably gonna be septic up there. Hoping for land with very little or no restrictions and planning to take a year or two to build it myself.
Right now I am trying to figure out is this a good time to buy or should I wait and any advice on (probably a very common dream) building my own place in the mountains.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 7:11:18 PM EDT
[#1]
So in Jan 2019, we got 2 10ac lot in Morganton across from NC gameland and 15 min from Pisgah National forest. One lot was 75,000 and the other was 55,000.

I see one of the 10 ac lots behind us is listed now for 100,000.

So yeah, it gone up a bit
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 9:44:29 AM EDT
[#2]
If you want it, do it!

I only saw a small decrease in price after the RE bubble burst of 2003.

Seems that everyone wants to head our way.

I'm 67 and life long resident of Cherokee County!
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 11:43:20 AM EDT
[#3]
our cabin is on 30.10 acres near Fontana Dam.  elevation at the cabin is 3300', property is surrounded on 3 sides by national forest.  we got lucky.  

bought it last year and property like this does not stay on the market long.  cash offers on properties sight unseen are not unheard of.  

if you see something snatch it up when you can.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 12:54:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Personally I’d be looking in East Tennessee. No income tax and cheaper land.

That being said buying land is one thing. Building right now is another
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 4:05:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
our cabin is on 30.10 acres near Fontana Dam.  elevation at the cabin is 3300', property is surrounded on 3 sides by national forest.  we got lucky.  

bought it last year and property like this does not stay on the market long.  cash offers on properties sight unseen are not unheard of.  

if you see something snatch it up when you can.
View Quote

That would be exactly what I would want. Even like the Fontana dam area.

I guess I need to take a week and drive up there to look around and see what is available.

My plan is to drag the RV up there and live in it while building a cabin. Work on it as long as I can the flee back down here for the winter. Next spring go at it again. So many options for the cabin... Anything from a modular to a alpine chalet. Power, water will have to be worked out and I am resigned to septic but all that can be done. Hoping to start on it this year unless the market decides it is better to wait.

As for east Tennessee, how do the building codes and gun laws compare to NC?
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 8:02:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Not sure if this would fit what you are looking for. My sister, my cousin, and I inherited 65 acres in Wilkes county. It is at the foot of the mountains. You would be about 35-40 minutes to Boone, and about 30 minutes to West Jefferson. If you are interested just text or call me 307 763 7421.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 8:53:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not sure if this would fit what you are looking for. My sister, my cousin, and I inherited 65 acres in Wilkes county. It is at the foot of the mountains. You would be about 35-40 minutes to Boone, and about 30 minutes to West Jefferson. If you are interested just text or call me 307 763 7421.
View Quote

where is your place my family had a place in yellow hill just below the cascades on the parkway.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 5:11:10 PM EDT
[#8]
A friend of mine is a gunsmith and looked an the good old North State.  All said and done gun laws, taxes made him move to east Tennessee.  He was from Naples.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 7:21:48 AM EDT
[#9]
As far as TN goes, the closer you get to the GSMNP the higher the price of land. Sevier county and Blount county land prices are through the roof.

If you still want land that is less costly you need to look at land close to Tellico Plains in Monroe county. Polk county would be another good area to look.

I cannot speak for upper East TN, but figure anything close to the North Cherokee NF is got to be high, but look and see.

Regarding TN taxes. We have a pretty high sales tax, anywhere from 9.25% to 9.75% depending on county option.

TN does not have an income tax per se. We do have the Hall Tax. This is a tax on dividend income so if you are a retiree and receive this, it will be taxed. You can google the tax rate for it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 7:15:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I am sorry I am just now seeing this. It is Miller Creek, off Millard Ln
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top