Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2006 11:27:40 AM EDT

LOOK WHO'S PACKIN'

By HEATHER GILMORE and BRAD HAMILTON

NYPost, March 26, 2006 -- Billionaires are going ballistic.

Ronald Lauder has joined trigger-happy tycoons Donald Trump and Seagrams scion Edgar Bronfman Sr. as the richest men in the city packing heat, according to the NYPD's gun-permit list.

Lauder, the cosmetics heir, and multimillionaire Marvel Comics CEO Isaac Perlmutter are the newest gun-club members licensed to carry a weapon - topping a list that already included "Mean Streets" actors Harvey Keitel and Robert De Niro, "Scarface" producer Martin Bregman and shock jocks Don Imus and Howard Stern.

These boldfaced names are among more than 38,000 licensed gun owners in the city; the number has steadily declined in recent years as fewer people apply for permits - and fewer are approved.

"The review is thorough and it may include a site visit," said Police Inspector Michael Coan. "Permits are reviewed upon renewal to ensure proper cause exists to continue the permit."

Other gun-toting notables - who have a license to carry as opposed to a permit to keep their weapon only at a home or business - include anti-gun activist Fernando Mateo and Giuliani Partners execs Richard Sheirer and Anthony Carbonetti - an in-law of the notorious booze-peddling Dorrian clan.

Republican Senate majority leader Joe Bruno and music czar Tommy Mottola remain licensed carriers, according to NYPD records through March 17.

Millionaire Winthrop Rockefeller and former TV Anchor John Roland are no longer on the list; the NYPD wouldn't say why not.

Former Manhattan Judge Leslie Crocker Snyder is also licensed to carry a firearm.

"You will see a lot of judges with [gun] permits, and I've also noticed over the years more women applying," said NYPD License Division Capt. Mike Endall.

Queens DA Richard Brown is the only elected prosecutor in the city with a gun license, but "he has his own security, so he doesn't walk around carrying a gun," said spokeswoman Nicole Navas.

Celebrity divorce lawyer Raoul Felder said he has carried a gun since 1961 during his days as a prosecutor.

"A man threatened to kill me, and since he was a murderer I thought it was time to get a gun," he said. "We live in a very disturbed age. There's all kinds of sickness."

Subway vigilante Bernie Goetz's lawyer, Barry Slotnick, is also strapped.

Last year 3,187 people applied for gun licenses, and 2,575, or 81 percent, were approved. In the same period, 141 licenses were revoked and 4,103 licenses were canceled.

In 2004, 3,454 applications were filed and 2,860 - or 83 percent - were approved; 189 licenses were revoked and 3,473 cancelled.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:17:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Okay, so who knows a _good_ person to work with in order to get a non-resident NYC permit?

I want to be able to transport through the state, through the city, and be able to fly in and out of NY airports without issue. Obviously the transport through shouldn't be a problem, but don't want a problem should I have a mechanical breakdown or etc. which could cause my "peacable journey" to be misinterpreted as ending within the state, or a redirected plane flight, etc.

And I'd like to be able to show up at a range in New York with my handgun.

I've got CCW permits from various other states. Who knows someone who works as a permit agent in the city who could work with me?

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:50:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Okay, so who knows a _good_ person to work with in order to get a non-resident NYC permit?

I want to be able to transport through the state, through the city, and be able to fly in and out of NY airports without issue. Obviously the transport through shouldn't be a problem, but don't want a problem should I have a mechanical breakdown or etc. which could cause my "peacable journey" to be misinterpreted as ending within the state, or a redirected plane flight, etc.

And I'd like to be able to show up at a range in New York with my handgun.

I've got CCW permits from various other states. Who knows someone who works as a permit agent in the city who could work with me?

No such animal.  You won't get it, absent a showing of significant reason to have it.  In fact, this was recently litigated in a Second Circuit case by a Virginia resident who wanted a NYS permit and couldn't get one.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:52:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I guess the moral here is you're only allowed to have a CCW in NYC if you're a rich and important person.  That whole Bill of Rights equality thing means squat.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:19:31 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

LOOK WHO'S PACKIN'

"The review is thorough and it may include a site visit," said Police Inspector Michael Coan. "Permits are reviewed upon renewal to ensure proper cause exists to continue the permit."

Oh how I detest these bastards with this elitist mindset. They deserve a special place in hell where they are constantly a$$raped by knife wielding muggers.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:47:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Oh how I detest these bastards with this elitist mindset. They deserve a special place in hell where they are constantly a$$raped by knife wielding muggers.

A little harsh SP10 don't you think? Your going to give knives a bad rap.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:05:38 AM EDT
[#6]
It's OK for the elites to carry. After all they are important people, not common folk like us. Don't you get it? The laws pertain to us not them. They want us obedient and unarmed so they can run things without interferance. From the looks of things there gonna get it too. Keep voting Democrat New Jersey.  

PS  This does not apply here or at least I hope not.    gd

Did I spell interferance right?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:21:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Keep voting Democrat New Jersey.  

Little difference between the parties on a state level in NY.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top